Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I submitted before reading..... Still have a few questions??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I submitted before reading..... Still have a few questions??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: I submitted before reading..... Still have a few questions?? Reply with quote

Hi. I'm Hirve and a Newbie to this website & forum although I do have a grasp of how things work from other interests, hence only asking as I have not found an answer elsewhere and hope some kind person will assist.

Drove along the A1079 and A63 without being warned of some fixed & mobile sites. As a new member so happy to have used the database for 3 days and be totally impressed, I wanted to give back and share with the community so grabbed the rough Lat & Long from my TTGo, then fine tuned on the Submissions map before sending them in. Then I came to the Forum and disovered this....talk about cart before the horse...D'oh !!! Embarassed

Question 1. When filling in Submission details, I didn't know what Name was about so left this out. Will you still know it's from me?

Question 2. The heading from my TTGo was my travelling direction so I assumed this would be + or - 180 degrees for camera heading. Gave rough compass description of way detection direction just in case. ( SW, NE, etc.. ). What should Heading record, Travelling or Detection direction ?

Question 3. I reported a Mobile that is currently in the central reservation of major roadworks, but usually sits in a layby furthere down - Reported as Mobile. Should this have been Mobile Temporary as it will probably move in a year when the junction is finally remodelled?

Question 4. Also, it faces either direction. I advised this in Comments. Should I have submitted twice but adjusted Heading info ?

Question 5. Alerted to a mobile site on opposite carriageway so reported the site that detects the lane I was using, as these two sites are for opposing single direction enforcement only. Should I have bothered, as an alert for the other lane was sufficient to warn although camera/POI mark on screen was clearly for other lane?

Annyhoo, now I feel like a total lame duck ahving to ask such seemingly daft questions but I really would like to know for future reference. Confused

Happy Motoring and look forward to any replies ( preferrably helpful, but sarcastic would suffice providing it isn't just gainsaying for the sake of it ).

Hirve.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. If you were logged in they'll know who you were

2. The database currently doesn't use the directional data

3. The central reservation camera should be reported as a Temporary camera.

4. Submit once - See 2 above.

5. Most GPS systems will alert to cameras on the other carriage way because they don't use the directional data to know when it's on your side of the roads so will will be alerted to cameras regardless of if it's on your side or not.
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: I submitted before reading..... Still have a few questio Reply with quote

Hirvevarra wrote:

Question 1. When filling in Submission details, I didn't know what Name was about so left this out. Will you still know it's from me?
Hirve.

I'm guessing you are referring to the ID box here as I've not seen a name box on the form. The ID refers to the ID no of an already reported camera in the database, just incase the details need amending.
Quote:

Question 2. The heading from my TTGo was my travelling direction so I assumed this would be + or - 180 degrees for camera heading. Gave rough compass description of way detection direction just in case. ( SW, NE, etc.. ). What should Heading record, Travelling or Detection direction ?

I've always reported my direction of travel, though as far as I know this information is not used yet.
Quote:

Question 3. I reported a Mobile that is currently in the central reservation of major roadworks, but usually sits in a layby furthere down - Reported as Mobile. Should this have been Mobile Temporary as it will probably move in a year when the junction is finally remodelled?

Mobiles are, by their nature, temporary. However, if the installation can only be sited there due to the ongoing roadworks (will need to be removed when the works finish), I would suggest it is submitted as temporary.
Quote:

Question 4. Also, it faces either direction. I advised this in Comments. Should I have submitted twice but adjusted Heading info ?

No, just once as the database is not directional. you will be warned on approac from any direction.
Quote:

Question 5. Alerted to a mobile site on opposite carriageway so reported the site that detects the lane I was using, as these two sites are for opposing single direction enforcement only. Should I have bothered, as an alert for the other lane was sufficient to warn although camera/POI mark on screen was clearly for other lane?

Yes
Quote:

Annyhoo, now I feel like a total lame duck ahving to ask such seemingly daft questions but I really would like to know for future reference. Confused

No problems, if we don't ask how do we find things out?

By the way, has anyone said Welcome yet?
7272Andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I get called away for half an hour mid reply (apparently I'm paid to work here) and PaulB jumps in first :D
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies. Cleared all that up.

Yep, I meant ID box.
In one of the Stickies I read about manual submission of data and the various styles of data format. In one of these was a Name tag for the Submitter and I confused the two sections. Hard day, I suppose !!

Annyhoo, my apols, but you seemed to guess where I was coming from and were far from scathing so I maight just hang around. Laughing

When I have a few mins I have a half dozen new installations to fix & submit. They are not yet online but Press reports suggest next month is D-Day for motorists around here. OOH !! Scary !! Twisted Evil

Thanks again for your comments & a big Thank You for the welcome. Nice to know it's friendly on here. I promise to read the instructions on the box first NEXT TIME..............

Off to find out about TTOnes and why the ttsystem file won't load into POI Extended Warnings so I can monkey around with my mates SatNav Alert Sounds now. Tried TTN_POIEW10 f & g. So long as my Go worx....... :D

diolch y fawr
Hirve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: