Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - broken i3 and Halfrauds
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

broken i3 and Halfrauds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: broken i3 and Halfrauds Reply with quote

so my i3 is knackered - the speaker buzzes like its ripped, it keeps telling me to put in the sd card although it is already in and it causes a power surge warning on my laptop.

No worries methinks only 6 weeks old I'll take it back to shop :D

Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad :x oh no hold on there fella..... we cannot swap these you have to speak directly to Garmin wtf

apparantly something to do with the software licence or some other bollox
north_country_boy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Halfords again, your contract is with them not Garmin, ask to see the manager or take it to another store, there is someone else on this forum who had a replacement from Halfords, so don't give up.
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it is 'not fit for purpose'. Take it back to Halfords. If they still give you the same answer, find a busy part of the store and insist on seeing the manager. Don't leave until you see the manager, and make sure that you do not swear or abuse anyone in any the process. If the manager still says no, suggest that it is not fit for purpose and you will be speaking to you local trading officer.

Make sure you have the details of all the people you speak to and ask for the complaints department address and contact details at head office. That should do the trick. Some managements are better than others, having worked in a halfords or two in my time.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as Steve and the boy say, Halfords have a legal obligation to sort this matter out. The goods are not "of satisfactory quality" as required by "the Sale of Goods Act" and your contract is with Halfords, not with the manufacturer.

However, Halfords might refuse to swap the unit for a new one and they are legally entitled to send it away to be repaired, even though Garmin will probably just replace it with a new unit.

In my mind, Halfords should just swap your i3 for a new one and take care of returning the broken one to Garmin for you.

From what I have heard, Garmin provide a fairly good service for warranty replacements. They also offer a fixed price refurbishing service for broken GPS units.

If Halfords won't swap it for a new unit then, you are probably better to just deal with Garmin directly rather than forcing the job on Halfords with the risk that they will mess you around or introduce some delay in getting the unit exchanged.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you purchase a sat nav from Halfords they make a big thing of showing you a printed sheet pointing out that because software is involved sat nav falls outside their normal exchange/returns policy and to take any problems up with the manufacturer which would be the fastest route to sorting the problem .It also states that if you would prefer Halfords to do this on your behalf then they would be happy so to do ! This was my on experience with them anyway.

Dave
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
...pointing out that because software is involved sat nav falls outside their normal exchange/returns policy...

what software comes with the i3 though?

you could say a dvd player uses software but i bet they'd cover THAT under their 'normal' terms if youbought one of those in-car ones...

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
because software is involved sat nav falls outside their normal exchange/returns policy

BS. The Sale Of Goods Act is your friend. They can't make distinctions like that. At the end of the day the contract is between the seller (Halfords) and the Custromer. It's up to Halfords to get it repaired / replaced once they have refunded you or replaced the item. Get Trading Standards involved if you can.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/guides_to/goods_wrong.shtml

Quote:
The shop may say you have to claim a refund from the manufacturer, or claim under the manufacturer's guarantee. This isn't true. Shoppers' rights under the Sale of Goods Act are against the retailer, not the manufacturer. Guarantees simply give additional rights which shoppers can choose to use.

Sometimes it's easier to use the guarantee, but you should make it clear to the shop that you're reserving your rights under the Sale of Goods Act if you aren't happy. You have up to six years to claim compensation from a retailer for a faulty product, far longer than you have under most guarantees. Also, rights under guarantees are only as stated in any particular guarantee. For example, it may only be a right to repair and involve you paying the cost of the carriage, which means it isn't cost-effective.
[/quote]
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not condoning Halfords policy but pointing out that this was fully explained to me before purchase.. On their receipt it gives all the normal blurb about returns within the guarentee period but hand written across them is N/A and a separate sat nav form is attached.

Quote at the end of their separate form entitled :

"Satellite Navigation guarantee"

As all of our navigation units contain licenced software,such units are exempt from Halfords 28 day returns policy.This is all in line with your Statatory rights..... (This was probably due to the fact that people were returning i3's for refund to re buy else where as the price of them was crashing)

Dave
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As all of our navigation units contain licenced software,such units are exempt from Halfords 28 day returns policy.This is all in line with your Statutory rights.....

I suspect this means nothing in law. Some shops used to display "No return / No refund" signs but they mean nothing.

Check with Trading Standards to see what they say. I suspect Halfords can't enforce this "Policy" in any way, at all.

PCs come with licensed software but they aren't exempt from the SOGA and neither are TVs, DVD Player / Recorders, Videos, Digital TV boxes, calculators, electronic watches, microwaves, cars etc etc

I suspect the Halfords policy means nothing and that you are still legally entitled to your replacement / refund under the law.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and i Google'd "Halfords Sale of Goods Act" - Very interesting. One of the links was

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=172907
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:

"Satellite Navigation guarantee"

As all of our navigation units contain licenced software,such units are exempt from Halfords 28 day returns policy.This is all in line with your Statatory rights...

i presume that their 'normal' 28 day returns policy is a 'if you dont like it, we'll refund you' kind of policy. as opposed to one about it being broken. they say your statutory rights are not affected, but a statutory right is that you have to purchase goods that work!!

MaFt
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..... deep breath .... the guy I spoke to was the manager and he wasn't budging.... also I didn't get anything explained at point of sale.

So I phoned Garmin .... they were lovely and said its knackered here's a RMA number you can now take it bak to Halfords. I said but they ain't got none... he said send it to us and we'll send you a new one.....

what a lovely man
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ben_e71 wrote:
Well..... deep breath .... the guy I spoke to was the manager and he wasn't budging.... also I didn't get anything explained at point of sale.

So I phoned Garmin .... they were lovely and said its knackered here's a RMA number you can now take it bak to Halfords. I said but they ain't got none... he said send it to us and we'll send you a new one.....

what a lovely man

i'd go back to halfords and tell thewm that garmin gave you an rma and instructed you to go tell halfords to replace it!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the replacement from Garmin - it'll save time. Halfords are shirking their responsibility and as they don't have any you can only get a refund and the chances are you'll have a fight to get any money.

Write a letter to TS and Halfords Head Office telling them what you think of their attitude to the SOGA - nice words only though.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ben_e71 wrote:

So I phoned Garmin .... they were lovely

Pleased to hear that Garmin sorted it out in the end. Halfords are breaking the law by refusing to accept the faulty unit for replacement - THEY should be the one dealing with Garmin.

However, as PaulB2005 says - you are probably best to just deal with Garmin because they have an interest in keeping up a good reputation for customer service.

I do agree that a snot-o-gram to Halfords head office is in order though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: