Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SIRF
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SIRF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zappy61
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: SIRF Reply with quote

Having upgraded to the latest TTN2 how do I ensure it is operating in SIRF mode?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The program TTN2 itself has nothing to do with SIRF.

You need to
1) make sure your GPS receiver is reprogrammed to emit SIRF data - how this is done depends on your receiver
2) adjust the selection in the TT GPS module to what you have programmed into your receiver.

BTW, You don't need SIRF for TT2 to work. The good old NMEA 4800 will give you the same functionality.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and bearing in mind if you're west of Meridian with TTN2 you may still experience problems with Sirf including incorrect positional data, stuttering of pointer and jumping. Embarassed
neilsum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a (Globalsat?) BT308 and TTN2 which I bought about 2 weeks ago, whilst desparately searching for the right BT option on my IPAQ 2210 (I didn't know weather to explore a BT device, use a PC BT link or some others I can't remember) I accidentally switched my BT308 into SIRF mode, whilst it seems to work OK (but no green sat fix light) I don't know if I should be using NEMA or not. How exactly do I switch it back to NEMA, what software / options do I use?

-Neil
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you switch it to SiRF ? If you have switched it to SiRF use the same way to switch it back to NMEA 4800.

If you have accidently switched it to SiRF at a different baud rate at the same time, then you may have the BT GPS and lost connectivity to it. If this is the case the only thing you can do is drain the battery until it's dead, and wait around 4-5 days before giving it a new charge and this will resort it back to factory defaults.
neilsum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, thats my problem, I don't know how I switched it to SIRF. Embarassed I bought a complete kit of BT reciever and IPAQ 2210 so everything was new to me. When I tried to install the BT device on the IPAQ BT Manager none of the BT 'profiles' seemed to be quite what I wanted. I thought it would need a two way communication so initially picked a 'PC link' to my BT-308 then I tried all the others, eventually I stumbled across one that worked but by then I had some how switched it to SIRF.

It does work at the moment however, so I must have the correct baud rate. (phew that was lucky!)

I just don't know how or which app to use to get it back to NEMA.

-Neil
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way of switching the receiver to SiRF using PC-Link or any of the options in BT Manager, so I doubt you have switched it to SiRF mode.

Take a look at this review on how to switch between NMEA and SiRF, there's a copy of WinFast Navigator under our downloads page.
Stevie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilsum,

If it helps I've switched my BT308 between nmea & sirf simply by using the TT2 drivers. In NMEA I get a flashing green light when fixed, in Sirf mode it stays off.

I have switched several times with no problem as the Bluetooth can detect the settings. I use the NMEA 0183v2 Bluetooth setting with Bluetooth Serial Port COM8 on my Ipaq 3970.

Obvously whilst trying out different drivers in TT2 you unknowingly switched to SIRF.
zappy61
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed SIRF was better than NMEA is this incorrect?
simkna
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ALWAYS use SIRF with my Holux. It gives much better TTFF's. Only annoyance is it tends to not quite know exactly which direction you are facing when stationary, and it occasionally flips backinto default NMEA mode, requiring a quick fiddle to get it talking again. Overall, the reduction in TTFF's make it well worth the effort.

Si.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: