Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 910 Compatability
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 910 Compatability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FocRus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 910 Compatability Reply with quote

Just did a quick search and found a post asking about the 910, but just to check and be 100% sure, is the speed camera database 100% compatible with the 910?

Will be looking to sign up for it, as the pre-installed Tom Tom one missed many cameras and told me that a red light camera in a 50 zone was in fact a 30mph gatso Rolling Eyes

Also, does the database have a "directional" function, so that it only warns you of cameras on your carriageway, as I noticed that the Tom Tom also warned me of cameras on the opposite carriageway, wheras my Origin B2 device (that I'm looking to replace with the Tom Tom) only warns me of those that are on my carriageway 8)

Many thanks!
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an Origin B2 user myself.

The 910 unit and neither the TT camera DB nor any of the others can compare with the B2 set up. Its not directional nor is it as comprehensive.
It also wont deal with SPEC cameras group as you're used to on the B2. B2 isnt as 'cool'n groovy' as the 910 but it works! The B2 does not care about roads. Its where you are in relation to a camera, its speed setting, your speed, which direction you are travelling, and which way the camera is facing. So no mapping, yet!

I've just purchased a 910 but not to replace the B2. I've tried using the camera DB on a TT Nav on a PDA, and was suitably unimpressed. (in comparrision with a camera specific unit. Lots of messing and hours of tweaking. It's the same story on the 910.

I agree the TT camera info is rubbish (UK), it should not be relied upon. Even in the few days I've had the 910, its so out of date and inaccurate, whereas the B2 in right on the money. At the very least bin the TT SW.

I am also a PGPSW subscriber, so I going to try out the PGPSW sw again on the 910, just as an ongoing comparrison. Bottom line is I dont have the time to change text, updated warning distances each time I get an fresh update. Very used to the update plug a go of the B2.

Hopefully some of the differences can be overcome in later Camera DB products for the x10 series. I'd be the first to change to a single unit, not cos i'm unhappy with the B2 but just to cut down on the 'rob me' status of the car with both installed.

Hey ho....
SatMap
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraserp wrote:
Bottom line is I dont have the time to change text, updated warning distances each time I get an fresh update.
You only need to replace the OV2 files on your device and consent to overwrite existing files, once configured it is not required to "Re-Configure" the warnings in any way, just replace the old files with the new ones - Mike
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, thought you had to set up warning distance again, and if (on 910) you want text speach edit the name on each file?
Confused
SatMap
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraserp wrote:
Sorry, thought you had to set up warning distance again, and if (on 910) you want text speach edit the name on each file?
Confused
A daunting thought to say the least as it would take an age to do, so I can fully understand your concerns. Replace the 23off .ov2 files and thats all you need to do - setting that lot up again is not something I would want to do, as an added insurance back the unit up to your PC once you have it configured the way you desire - Mike
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its a one off change?

Now that make more sense than my daft ideas! Wink
SatMap
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each month a simple update to the device, paste the new files across and replace the old ov2 files, it is as simple as that, nothing more required - ONE SHOT UPDATE - Mike
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraserp wrote:
Confused

From what I can see on the 910, if you use the Computer Voices (not the human recorded ones) and set the 'Warn of POI' to 'Type in Your Own Text' you should just have to overwrite the ov2 files.

I've got mine, for a GATSO in a 30mph zone, saying "Speed Camera. 30.". I have no doubt you could have it say "Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast....oh, and watch out for the speed camera". Since you set the warning distance yourself, you don't necessarily need the unit to tell you how far the camera is, just that it's there.

I was thinking of changing the ov2 filenames so that if I setup a spoken warning it would say "filename in 300 yards". It's quite funny listening to the 910 try to say "pocketgps_uk_gatso_30 300 yards". It almost blows a fuse Confused However, I tried the 'use own text' approach and it works, so it may be an easier option each month.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyTrucker wrote:
I have no doubt you could have it say "Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast....oh, and watch out for the speed camera".
Well you could try this but as it contains 85 characters you will not get it all entered, there is a limit of 60 on the 910. - I agree its fun messing with the text though, use the puntuation marks to slow it down if you find the device is rattling through the words too quickly - Mike
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can have it speak the text by replacing the ov2 files but wont you then have to repeat that taskevery month?
SatMap
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need to set the warning up once, when it is set it will trigger the spoken alert relative to the proximity of the data stored within the ov2 file this way you replace (update) the camera database, but you don't have to touch the settings for the alerts, they remain in place as thery were set the first time you configured them - Mike
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
HappyTrucker wrote:
I have no doubt you could have it say "Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast....oh, and watch out for the speed camera".
Well you could try this but as it contains 85 characters you will not get it all entered, there is a limit of 60 on the 910. - I agree its fun messing with the text though, use the puntuation marks to slow it down if you find the device is rattling through the words too quickly - Mike

Yeah, I found that out earlier after I'd posted this. I hadn't found anything in the instructions saying this. Horrible TomTom people. Limiting our fun like that Crying or Very sad
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Alder has authored PocketGPSWorld.com speed camera downloading instructions for the TomTom GO 910.

Find them here.

Thanks Mike!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: