Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adding my own POI's to a 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding my own POI's to a 510

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chippychap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Adding my own POI's to a 510 Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
A total virgin who has just got a T-T 510.
I can plan a route, but how do I store a destination for future use.
I want to go somewhere and just say "save this place"
My home has been saved so I can "go Home" if I go to a restaurant or to a favourite place how do I save it so I can say to it, "take me to that restaurant"? Then it's MY POI list.

Also people talk about having to register their machine, I have the credit card thingummy which came with it, but my 510 is up and running (although very badly led Embarassed ) so who wants me to register and why?
Coming from a never had one basis, my 510 is absolutely brilliant, how long is it 'till letting it bring me home from the local Tesco's isn't exciting? :D
Thanks for being there
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To create your own POI list go to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Add POI Category enter your name (or whatever you want this group to be called) for now we will call this "My POI", then use the "Add POI" function, select My POI and follow the on screen to add each location, note it also gives you the option to enter the phone number, so it might be handy if you have that to hand at the same time.
Go to www.tomtom.com and create an account, it doesn't cost anything. On the site there is a place to store your product code details, www.ttcode.com is where you obtain an activation code as its working OK leave it alone, just don't loose the card (or better still, store its number at tomtom.com but still don't loose the card) - keep the card safe though don't loose it.
When you find Tesco's unexciting try shopping at Asda - Laughing Mike
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Adding my own POI's to a 510 Reply with quote

Chippychap wrote:
Hi Guys,
A total virgin who has just got a T-T 510.
I can plan a route, but how do I store a destination for future use.
I want to go somewhere and just say "save this place"
My home has been saved so I can "go Home" if I go to a restaurant or to a favourite place how do I save it so I can say to it, "take me to that restaurant"? Then it's MY POI list.

That's what favourites are for. Select Add Favourite and then pick one of the options. Use GPS position to store your current location.

Note that you may need to select Show ALL menu options from the preferences menu.
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that (with the 910) you ideally need to actually be on a recognised road to make the best use of this feature. I was on an industrial estate that just shows as 'spare' land in between two roads on the maps. I set a favourite using GPS Position, but the next time I tried to Navigate To.... that point, the TT said "No route found". Actually, I was at that point and navigating TO another location, but since the TT couldn't place me on an actual road I suppose it got a bit befuddled.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyTrucker wrote:
I've found that (with the 910) you ideally need to actually be on a recognised road to make the best use of this feature. I was on an industrial estate that just shows as 'spare' land in between two roads on the maps. I set a favourite using GPS Position, but the next time I tried to Navigate To.... that point, the TT said "No route found". Actually, I was at that point and navigating TO another location, but since the TT couldn't place me on an actual road I suppose it got a bit befuddled.

I would expect it to say "no route found" if you are already where you say you want to navigate to. There is no route to find.
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might not have made my point clear, sorry.

I was at a point that I set as a Favourite using 'GPS position'. This point was on an industrial complex that was away from any road on the map. When I tried to navigate to another location it just said 'No Route Found'. Once I pulled out through the gates, and was bordering on the road it worked fine, so I just replaced the favourite with the position just outside the gates.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyTrucker wrote:
I might not have made my point clear, sorry.

I was at a point that I set as a Favourite using 'GPS position'. This point was on an industrial complex that was away from any road on the map. When I tried to navigate to another location it just said 'No Route Found'. Once I pulled out through the gates, and was bordering on the road it worked fine, so I just replaced the favourite with the position just outside the gates.

I see - yes, I can see how that would confuse it. It does seem to navigate OK to a previously defined off-road favourite though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: