Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom v5.21 on T-Mobile Vario
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom v5.21 on T-Mobile Vario

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seraphaxg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Tom Tom v5.21 on T-Mobile Vario Reply with quote

Just wanted to share my recent experience of installing Tom Tom 5.21 on my MDA Vario phone. I had read, in alot of discussion forums, about problem with Tom Tom on Windows mobile 5.0 and was hesitant to invest in this solution, but I'm very glad I did !!!

My setup is as follows:

T-mobile MDA Vario (Unlocked) using O2 network
    128mb miniSD card (upgrading to a 2GB one from Moby Memory for £60)
    Tom Tom 5.21 Software with v605 of GB map &
    Tom Tom Mk II GPS Bluetooth Receiver (£149 for both items from www.superetrader.co.uk)
    Universal phone holder from halford (£14.99)

Having installed it, getting it to work with 7 digit postcode and adding the speedcamera's and POI's from this www.pocketgpsworld.com the only thing that remained was finding just the right voice for my device- so, I enlisted my wife to become my navigator voice. I achieved this using 2 free utilities from the web "Audiocity" and "VIFTOOL", got my wife to speak the 59 phrases into my phone, converted them to OGG, compiled using VIFTOOL and then copied back to the phone (took about 45 minutes in total).

I now have a fully personalised TomTom system and my wife has the satisfaction of telling me where to go ;) The whole package (excluding memory card, which is just for installing more programs over and above TomTom) cost me about £170- all items were delivered next day, or picked up from Halfords and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Just thought I'd share this success with the forum
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom v5.21 on T-Mobile Vario Reply with quote

seraphaxg wrote:
MDA Vario phone.

Congratulations on your successful setup. But please stay with the facts. The Vario is not a phone. It is a Pocket PC Phone Edition.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be frank, that's where I got confused as well. Sold as a WM5 device but needs Pocket PC programs downloaded to it...might not be confusing to experts, but I'm not an expert.
seraphaxg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, can't say as I really understand the gripe there- the fact is that it's a phone running Windows Mobile 5.0- the hardware is developed by a company called HTC and comes in multiple flavours depending on the service provide you get it through- or if you buy it sim free. This is an example of where this phone comes from:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?paymentPlanType=pmt&pmid=7253&nmid=phones_ews_overview&menuid=ctl_phones_details

It does indeed run Pocket PC (PPC) software, it also runs Smartphone 2003 software- this is due to the gap between PPC and Smarphone being bridged in this version of the OS.

Apologies if I caused either of you any confusion. Hope that explains it.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seraphaxg wrote:
Hmm, can't say as I really understand the gripe there- the fact is that it's a phone running Windows Mobile 5.0- the hardware is developed by a company called HTC and comes in multiple flavours depending on the service provide you get it through- or if you buy it sim free. This is an example of where this phone comes from:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?paymentPlanType=pmt&pmid=7253&nmid=phones_ews_overview&menuid=ctl_phones_details

It does indeed run Pocket PC (PPC) software, it also runs Smartphone 2003 software- this is due to the gap between PPC and Smarphone being bridged in this version of the OS.

Apologies if I caused either of you any confusion. Hope that explains it.

Not a big deal but an important issue with Tomtom. Its a Pocket PC with GPRS phone capabilities. Being a PPC and not having a keypad means it essential to use the PPC (Navigator not Mobile) version of Tomtom. There have been many posts in the past where people have sought help due to the wrong installation, hence Lutz's clarification.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seraphaxg wrote:-
Quote:
T-mobile MDA Vario (Unlocked) using O2 network
128mb miniSD card (upgrading to a 2GB one from Moby Memory for £60)
Tom Tom 5.21 Software with v605 of GB map &
Tom Tom Mk II GPS Bluetooth Receiver (£149 for both items from www.superetrader.co.uk)
Universal phone holder from halford (£14.99)

Does this mean that you purchased TTN 5.21 Software with v605 GB map?

My thread about downloadable maps is attempting to find out whether you can do this as I am having a dispute with the software supplier.

Did you get TTN 5 and v605 GB maps?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: