Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Insurance Claims & TomToms Fitted or Hidden!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Insurance Claims & TomToms Fitted or Hidden!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Insurance Claims & TomToms Fitted or Hidden! Reply with quote

There have been many comments on here about TomToms being stolen and to remove all trace etc from the windscreen,

I have stated on here and in other posts that in the US I tend to leave my unit fixed more than I would in the UK, now I am using my unit in my UK car sometimes

I decided to contact my UK Car Insurance company today to see what the policy is as far as they are concerned.

I use ESURE, The comments below will no doubt vary by insurance comany so you may be worth talking to yours

I explained to Esure about having a TomTom 910 in the car and was given the following advice

If the TomTom is "A Permenant Device" it will be covered for theft, The Definition of a "Permenant Device" by ESURE is that the Power Lead has to be hard wired into the car system, NOT PLUGGED INTO THE CIGAR LIGHTER. I explained that the power lead was hard wired behind the dash, but the lead went to the mount not the actual unit,

I was told this is OK, as long as it is wired into the car and not just plugged into the socket in the dash it will be covered.

I was also told that the 910 MUST Be in the mount to be covered,

So if I leave my TT910 in plain veiw in its mount on the window, but with the power lead hard wired into the car system, ESURE class it as a permenant fixture and will cover it if stolen,

But if I Remove it from themount hide it in the car and someone breaks in and steals it because they swa the mount then there is no coverage.!!!! And I will have to hope that my Household Insurance covers it!!.

Seems a bit of a strange system, like you are being encouraged to leave it on display.

I have asked for a written confirmation to be faxed over, so they cannot back out if someone bricks the window!!

May be worth checking your insrance to see how your company interprets it!!

Cheers

Richard
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance Claims & TomToms Fitted or Hidden! Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
I was also told that the 910 MUST Be in the mount to be covered,

So if I leave my TT910 in plain veiw in its mount on the window, but with the power lead hard wired into the car system, ESURE class it as a permenant fixture and will cover it if stolen,

Not sure they thought that one through as it clearly makes no sense. It's a daft interpretation of their permanent fixture clause.

A person with limited integrity might claim that a stolen device was mounted when it was not, knowing that this cannot be proven either way. Just a hypothesis of course.

It's probably worth remembering that if insurance companies receive too many claims for stolen satnavs they will either load the premiums or exclude them from the cover.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance Claims & TomToms Fitted or Hidden! Reply with quote

Flashyphotos wrote:
But if I Remove it from themount hide it in the car and someone breaks in and steals it because they swa the mount then there is no coverage.!!!!

If your unit gets stolen then you will have to pay the insurance excess, lose your no claims bonus and you will find that the insurance company will increase your premium too.

Whatever you do don't leave it on display or it WILL get nicked.

If it does get nicked from in the car, then a naughty person might claim that it was in the mount (event though it was hidden in the glovebox) therefore it should be covered.

The only real answer is DON'T leave it in the car. Lots of people have found that one out the hard way. Read the posts in the Stolen Equipment forum.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: