Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Having a mare with Copilot 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Having a mare with Copilot 6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpmorgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Having a mare with Copilot 6 Reply with quote

Hello people,

I subscribed to your speed camera database a few weeks and installed
the one file version, after a couple of stupid questions I got it up and running without much prob but now I am at a complete loss I have just reinstalled Copilot 6 on my X51v to correct the ETA bug (which it did) :D but I can't get the camera's to show or even be recongnised that I've put the files in the save dir Sad :o . I have searched this forum and followed every little bit of info I have found.

I have downloaded all 3 versions of the database and have still not got anywhere. When I first installed the database, I simply cut and paste the files to the save directory, loaded Copilot, waited a few mins, went the to the menu POI alerts, checked enable and then selected pocketgpsworld......etc from the custom drop down menu and it all worked. Now I do not get any extra options in custom.

I have even tried to install the excel version of the DB, I think I read somewhere that copilot 6 uses .xls not .ocv. If copilot needs .xls files why are none included in the downloads for coplot 6? (I am probably getting confused, I have read so many posts over the last few days, they are all a bit of a mash in my head.

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong, it's really starting to give me a headache now

Thanks for any help 8)

Tom
trpmorgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Not trying to bumb Reply with quote

Hello again,

Sorry people not trying to bumb my post, just had a few more ideas/questions but can't edit my lat post.

Firstly how do I remove the sped camera db from copilot, do I have to manually remove the files I transferd? The reason I ask this is because I have just removed the excel files I have just transfered and replaced them with the single file database (the one I managed to get working a few weeks ago).
Under POI settings, I have enabled POI set the report distant to 0.2mi, on route but under Select POIs to be reported pocketGPSworld is not displayed under any of the headings

Under the Map settings I have set show POIs to 'Always' and display POIs to 'Imported POIs' and tried 'All POIs'. Now when I tap start driving I get the map showing me the route. When I try and zoom out or move the map around to see if it is displaying the camera's I get the error msg

CPlaceDrawer::AddPlaces()...

Not enough memory. Alloc: 318987.65KB ProgM: 20440.00KB, StrgM: 150389.00KB Sad

When I tap OK copilot either freezes or boots me out???

I only have copilot, novii remote and tcmp player installed.

Could someone please put me out of my misery and I have tried to search but cannot seem to find the definitive answer, if I could be pointed in the right direction I will then happily shut and leave you good people alone

Thanks

Tom
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP6 uses the single file version of the OV2 and BMP files. It is those files that you should drop into the Save directory.

To delete existing custom POI's, delete the AO*.* files in the Save directory first. They will be recreated when CP6 is next started, and any OV2 and BMP files in that directory will be absorbed and deleted.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though you may chose to use .ov2 files, a freshly installed CoPilot will still have speed cameras loaded, and these will need to be removed first:

To reduce the likeleyhood of problems, I would start with a freshly booted PC

Tools | Manage Custom Places... (This may take some time to complete (several minutes even) and gets slower as the bar progresses) | Select the first item in the list then Shift+End to select the rest | Delete, hopefully the list should now be empty.

If the list is not empty, you may have to close the Manage Custom Places screen and re-open it before the remaining items will delete, but since the list is now almost empty, unlike before, display is almost instantaneous.

All saftey cameras will have been removed ready for a fresh start, using whatever method you prefer to add cameras.
trpmorgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys,

iankb, should I delete every file with ao prefex, I have 5 files that read aopoi, 1 that reads aocattyp and one that reads aotyp?

Neil01, sorry to be a complete idiot but I have no idea what you are talking about. I have never used my pc to install the db (i will try when i get home), I followed the instructions on the copilot website

Could this be a problem? Even tho I managed to set it up this way once.

Is there a way of returning the sd card that cp comes on back to its out of the box state?

Sorry if I'm asking really stupid questions but I haven't got a clue why it worked once and not now.

Cheers for the help and please keep it coming

Tom
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpmorgan wrote:
iankb, should I delete every file with ao prefex, I have 5 files that read aopoi, 1 that reads aocattyp and one that reads aotyp?

Yes, delete all of them, and that will delete all pre-loaded cameras.

Ignore the 'Manage Custom Places' quoted above for the desktop PC version of CoPilot. That is no longer necessary for CoPilot 6. The desktop program works in the same way as the PDA version.

i.e. Find the Save directory on the PC (it's under the EU directory for Europe), delete all of the AO*.* files in there, drop in the OV2 and BMP files, and restart CoPilot. It's much faster than the method used with CP5.

There is no longer any sense in importing POI's on the desktop and downloading CoPilot files to the PDA. Just import the OV2 and BMP files independently to both versions using the above method.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
trpmorgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,

i just deleted all the ao files in the save dir on the SD card and i'm still not getting the cameras displayed along my route. When I go into the POI settings menu I am not able to select pocktgpsworld as the POI's I want displayed, which makes me think that cp is not seeing the files i have put in the save dir. In fact i'm pretty sutre CP6 is not seeing the files a the boot time has never increased!!!

Could you list the correct steps for activating the DB?

I am using a card reader to delete and move the files to/from the cp sd card, could this be a problem? Is there not an absolute idiots guide to installing and displaying the camera DB on CP6 anywhere?

I have just spent the last 30 mins reading the beginners guide but it says nothing on CP6!! If it does i'll take that back Embarassed
trpmorgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damm, wish I could edit my posts,

Forgot to mention after i deleted the ao files I dumped the single camera DB files back into the save dir and still could not see pocketGPSworld in the custom menu.

If follow the steps mentioned in my previous post I get the out of memory msg?????????????? CplaceDrawer::AddPlaces() and CP6 just crashes
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
...Ignore the 'Manage Custom Places' quoted above for the desktop PC version of CoPilot. That is no longer necessary for CoPilot 6. The desktop program works in the same way as the PDA version...

I agree that you no longer need to use custom places to maintain the camera files, however, I would still suggest that by removing the pre-installed Custom POI safety cameras from the desktop application you can be certain that they will never be included when the desktop application is used to create the files for the PPC.
trpmorgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I've just tried everything thats been mentioned in the above posts and.... it sort of worked. I now have the the speed camera installed and working on my PC Smile but still no joy with getting it woking on my PDA even after a reinstallation of CP6. CP just refuses to see the files I've put into the save dir.

Is it worth doing a hard reset???

Does anyone have any views on why it keeps running out of memory when I turn on Display POI always in the map settings?

Thanks for the help guys

Tom
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Ian said. Once you have deleted the AO files you then copy the ov2 and bmp camera files to the save folder on the PPC card. Then start copilot on the PPC (it should take longer than normal to start). Then you go into the settings inside copilot on the PPC and enable the custom group for the cameras that have just been installed. Hope this helps.

Dave
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
I agree that you no longer need to use custom places to maintain the camera files, however, I would still suggest that by removing the pre-installed Custom POI safety cameras from the desktop application you can be certain that they will never be included when the desktop application is used to create the files for the PPC.

First, deleting the AO*.* files from the Save directory removes the pre-installed cameras, because that is where all custom POI's are stored. It's much quicker to deleted a few files than it is to go into the Custom POI Manager and delete them that way.

Secondly, you don't need to use the desktop application to create the camera files for the PPC. You can simply delete the AO*.* files on the PPC, drop the OV2 and BMP files in, and restart CoPilot.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpmorgan wrote:
CP just refuses to see the files I've put into the save dir.

You say that you are using the single file version, but you don't say what the files are called. Are you using the two files with the OV2 and BMP extensions?

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
trpmorgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the all the map data from my PC to my CP SD card last night and now I am able to select pocketGPS from the custom drop down menu in POI settings. So CP is finally seeing the files Smile Smile

The 2 files I'm using are:

pocketgps_uk_sc.ov2
pocketgps_uk_sc.bmp

This where my next problem starts and I think I might have to migrate forums to stop going off topic but if I try and turn on POIs CP just crashes and shuts itself down??? I get the error msg I mentioned above and thats it.

Should post this prob in the copilot forum, I've emailed ALK but I'm not holding my breath as they took 2 weeks to answer my last question??

Thanks Ian, Niel and Ako for taking the time to help :D

Cheers guys

Tom
trpmorgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: It's Bl##dy worked!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Hello people,

Its worked, I've just spent thelast hour searching through my devices memory (SD, CF, System) and found that I had created 2 extra copies of the CP SD card, one on the CF card and one in system memory. I have removed both of these and restarted CP6. It took the 3-4 extra mins to boot (which I took to be a goog sign), when finished I turned on POIs in the POI and map settings, planned a route to Leeds hit start driving....... I was presented with the map, speed cameras listed and no memory error messages :o :D :D :D :D.

I must of created to lots of mp data when I was planning routes on my PC on Wed and CP6 was trying to load the multiple lots of data. Embarassed

Thanks for all the help

Tom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: