Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Having a Bad TomTom day
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Having a Bad TomTom day
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Having a Bad TomTom day Reply with quote

My TomTom go Original SD card is . Today I was out and the TomTom would freeze up when you turned it on I had to do at least 3 resets using the button at the bottom. Got home put SD card into my computer and computer freezed up, put card back into tomtom and it's stuck on the splash screen. Put computer back on installed backup made yesterday onto camera sd card and everything working ok.

So origianl SD card is a bad health, tried formating the sd card in computer so I can reinstall software back onto it but it won't let me do that because it does not reconize the sd card any more.

I beleive the original sd card may be needed in the future due to the fact original sd cards seem to have a protection built in so they no they are original cards and not ciopies. What am I going to do ?. I know the copy works for know but at least this is going to cost me is another Sd card.

Will the copy inhibit the same habits as the original i.e will it inhibit the behavier where it will work in all tomtom go devices or will the copy no it's a copy and only work in mine.?

Could I send the original sd card back to tomtom in exchange for another one as the device birthday is only last year, but I have no receipt.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try formatting the original card in something else. Like the camera, or a Palm.

I had problems with a reformat on a PC. I used my wife's Palm T5. It left a couple of empty folders on the card which I threw away.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Having a Bad TomTom day Reply with quote

adrianhaslett wrote:
My TomTom go Original SD card is . Today I was out and the TomTom would freeze up when you turned it on I had to do at least 3 resets using the button at the bottom. Got home put SD card into my computer and computer freezed up, put card back into tomtom and it's stuck on the splash screen. Put computer back on installed backup made yesterday onto camera sd card and everything working ok.

So origianl SD card is a bad health, tried formating the sd card in computer so I can reinstall software back onto it but it won't let me do that because it does not reconize the sd card any more.

I beleive the original sd card may be needed in the future due to the fact original sd cards seem to have a protection built in so they no they are original cards and not ciopies. What am I going to do ?. I know the copy works for know but at least this is going to cost me is another Sd card.

Will the copy inhibit the same habits as the original i.e will it inhibit the behavier where it will work in all tomtom go devices or will the copy no it's a copy and only work in mine.?

Could I send the original sd card back to tomtom in exchange for another one as the device birthday is only last year, but I have no receipt.

I wouldnt bother, as you can see it works well on the copy, as do many peoples (who generally just needed a bigger SD card). I dont think there is anything to say what is an 'original' SD card and what isnt, and even if there was, all the copy protection would be is to ask for your device number, which would have come with a little card with the device.

So, in summary, no need to do anything except not to lose that number.

As you can get a new 256Mb card for a fiver, personally I wouldn't bother sending it back, but I suppose there is no harm in trying.

Tw
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Having a Bad TomTom day Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldnt bother, as you can see it works well on the copy, as do many peoples (who generally just needed a bigger SD card). I dont think there is anything to say what is an 'original' SD card and what isnt, and even if there was, all the copy protection would be is to ask for your device number, which would have come with a little card with the device.

So, in summary, no need to do anything except not to lose that number.

As you can get a new 256Mb card for a fiver, personally I wouldn't bother sending it back, but I suppose there is no harm in trying.

Tw

That's the problem second hand device i.e no product code.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is being watched... Police

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
pip510
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
This thread is being watched... Police

Think it should be too!
Sounds like a knocked off Tom Tom !

Let's Be Safe Out There
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not knocked of, if you raed from prevoius posts, it was my mates, I bought it off him and he can provide a bank statement to prove he bought it. He jsut lost the receipt and the box, probably somwhere in the loft or something. However it is not knocked of, I would not have paid £120 for it if it was.
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about knocked of tomtom's though, is there a free database available so you can put a serail no. of a tomtom in before you buy it second hand and it will tell you confidentially if the item is stolen or not.

I have seen a website on the net but you have to pay £1 to search the database and supply credit card details. So it is not confidential becuase if the device does show up your credit card details could be used to track you down to find out what you know.

A free confidential database is what's needed so anyone could check a device being offered to them without incrimidating themselves. Exclamation
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.satnav-shop.com/index.php?ln=en&pg=9

https://www.immobilise.com/
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:

https://www.immobilise.com/

The immobilise.com link refers you to checkMend website and that's not confidential it says in the rules that the police will be able to ask us any info we know and we will have to give them the info plus something like we pass all info to the concerning bodies.

I.E someone offers you a satnav you ask them for the serial no. you check it on the checkmend website pay your £1 and find it's stolen. Tell the man/woman your not interested but have the police knocking on your door asking about what you no.

the satnav-shop looks possible but it depends where they will get there info, oviously to be accurate it might feel it needs to join forces with checkmend and then your back at square one.

A Free non incriminating site is needed with a no questions ask policy. So that you can check up a serial no. and act accordingly on the info without any combacks seems the fair approach.
davideo0
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The immobilise.com link refers you to checkMend website and that's not confidential it says in the rules that the police will be able to ask us any info we know and we will have to give them the info plus something like we pass all info to the concerning bodies.

I.E someone offers you a satnav you ask them for the serial no. you check it on the checkmend website pay your £1 and find it's stolen. Tell the man/woman your not interested but have the police knocking on your door asking about what you no."

I would have thought we would want the police to enquire what we know about the seller and to arrest him/her if necessary.
Why are you concerned about the police knocking on your door? Surely, we would all benefit if the scum who steal from our cars are put where they belong. If our record is clear we should have no problem helping the police do their job for the benefit of all.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davideo0 wrote:
"I would have thought we would want the police to enquire what we know about the seller and to arrest him/her if necessary.
Why are you concerned about the police knocking on your door? Surely, we would all benefit if the scum who steal from our cars are put where they belong. If our record is clear we should have no problem helping the police do their job for the benefit of all.

Here Here !

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="adrianhaslett"]
sgould wrote:

I.E someone offers you a satnav you ask them for the serial no. you check it on the checkmend website pay your £1 and find it's stolen. Tell the man/woman your not interested but have the police knocking on your door asking about what you no.

A Free non incriminating site is needed with a no questions ask policy. So that you can check up a serial no. and act accordingly on the info without any combacks seems the fair approach.

Or in my case, someone offers a satnav and I find it's stolen, I call the police and tell them what I know. I don't wait to see if they find out. After all, it could be my satnav the scroat is selling next.
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has different views on the subject and that it what makes us human. That's fare. All i'm pointing out is that a confidential site MIGHT work better because people MIGHT feel more inclined to use it.

A bit like when the police have them days when you can hand in your illigel knives etc without any questions ask. There a great sucess because people know theres no comebacks.

Although the stolen satnav issue is a big one, I have to take mine out the lorry everytime I get out of it perhaps 12 times a day. But in this world theres alot of people trying to make a quick buck. And SatNav's are highly desirable items so if a theif walks buy and sees a £500 satnav sitting in the window held on by a suction clip. The chances of him leaving be are not good.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrianhaslett wrote:
The chances of him leaving be are not good.

You seem a bit confused. On one hand you take your device out of your lorry because you realise that it will probably get stolen. You are therefore concerned about theft.

On the other hand, you think that if people offer something for sale and you are unlucky enough to buy it then that's tough.

It is unfair to be concerned about crime only when it involves you and not give a stuff about others.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: