Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Simple 510 question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Simple 510 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Simple 510 question Reply with quote

Just got a new 510 and one thing I'm not sure about - what is the round indicator at the top right of the screen (sometimes green, sometimes blank)? Couldn't see this in the manual.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the warning bar for tomtom traffic it allows yuo see where accidents are in relation to where you are

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly - it is above the vertical traffic bar. It appears to be either empty, 1/4, half, 3/4 or full. I just noticed that when I updated the traffic info it went from empty to full, so i imagine it indicates how up to date the trafic info is. Nothing in the manual about this though.

Also noticed that the 510 identifies itself as a 710 to my mobile.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatC wrote:
Quite possibly - it is above the vertical traffic bar. It appears to be either empty, 1/4, half, 3/4 or full. I just noticed that when I updated the traffic info it went from empty to full, so i imagine it indicates how up to date the trafic info is. Nothing in the manual about this though.

Also noticed that the 510 identifies itself as a 710 to my mobile.

If the circle is completely green traffic was updated less than 10 mins ago. Grey to 3 o'clock, updated less than 20 mins. To 6 o'clock, less than 30 mins, to 9 o'clock less than 40 mins, and all grey, over 40 mins. If it goes yellow, this means there is more up to date info available on the server for you to download, and if its all grey with a red cross, your connection to the server has failed for one of a number of reasons, including expired subscription, as well as connection problems.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, thanks. So presumably then it keeps checking with the server to see if there are any updates applicable to the route I have selected?

I recall a message when I was setting up the 510 not to set it for automatic traffic updates if I use it as a handsfree.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatC wrote:
I see, thanks. So presumably then it keeps checking with the server to see if there are any updates applicable to the route I have selected?

I recall a message when I was setting up the 510 not to set it for automatic traffic updates if I use it as a handsfree.

There's nothing in the manual that I can find to specifically cover this. However, under traffic preferences, there is the apparent option to disable "automatically optimise the route after every update" and "automatically update traffic info while on route", but still leave active "beep when route traffic situation changes". This implies that it has the ability to do a check for updates, without downloading them. Don't know if it works though.

Reason for not setting automatic updates if you use as hands free is that on some phones, once a GPRS connection is established, it stays in that mode and doesn't go back to hands free, so you could miss calls. Does depend on the pairing, though, as some combinations of phone/Go don't have this problem.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to experiment with the whole traffic thing to evaluate how useful it is, and what happens if I get a call whilst downloading updates.

From what I've read here my expectations of this feature aren't too high.

Thanks for your help.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatC wrote:
I need to experiment with the whole traffic thing to evaluate how useful it is, and what happens if I get a call whilst downloading updates.

From what I've read here my expectations of this feature aren't too high.

Thanks for your help.

I've stopped using traffic. 2 hours a day, set to 15 min updates I used 16MB of GPRS download in under a month, and Vodafone charge £2.35 per meg!! £450 a year in call charges. Twice I sat in jams that weren't mentioned, and once I decided to ignore a jam, and found the road clear. What finally did it was a talk I went to from Traffic Master, where I found that the Traffic information they send out only covers motorways and A roads. I found much better info on the RDS radio set to traffic info, with the local radio road reports, and then just manually forced the 700 to route me around the problem by using the avoid roadblock when I got close to the incident.[/b]
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
£450 a year in call charges.

I think that the mobile operators are having a laugh charging that much for GPRS. For this price I think I'll get stuck in traffic now and again.

Never found RDS traffic info much use myself, but haven't used it for a few years now. May be worth another look.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: