Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom V's Sony...?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom V's Sony...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
always-getting-lost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Tom Tom V's Sony...? Reply with quote

Remember a few years ago when Nintendo & Sega dominated the games console market...? 8)

Then, one day along came an up-start called Sony with their system.... the PS1. To start with people guffawed at them thinking they stood a chance against such giants. Where are Sony now..? Well and truly at the top, that's where.

So, after that little bit of history, does anyone else like me think that not in the not too distant future Sony may do the same here too.....?

Or am i living in dream land, and need a good bang on the head to wake me up?

Nick.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What advantage does the Sony have over its competitors?

They all use one of two mapping sources - or have Sony made it a third?

Remember Sony brought out the Betamax and the minidisc - neither exactly market leaders
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Sony U50T(£280) & U70T(£320) could be good sellers if they promote the free traffic info/routing, but people on here seem to be having a couple of issued that need to be ironed out by Sony. The POI's only show in 2D mode which will hopefully get sorted in a future software upgrade, and two, it seems a complicated process with third party software to make the speed camera database work which will put people off.
But yes, if they get that sorted and perhaps add a few extra handy features/ Sony magic they could give TomTom and Garmin a run for their money.
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree. i bought sony and its marvellous. if you see sony once working, you will not look at tomotom or navman. yes it has some teething problems but it has been sorted out now with upgrades
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thinky my view id more moderate. I love my Sony, but I also bought a Tom Tom One the other day, and I think the interface and ease of use on it is cracking, actually.

As a comparison, I tried setting the destination on both to a particular garage(my car was being looked at). The Tom Tom had it as a poi, and took about six seconds to program. The Sony didn't, and took anbout a minute of fiddling to get the same place in.

I also REALLY like the "avoid part of route" thing on the Tom Tom which the Sony only make a kind of stab at.

So, the Sony wins in terms of pretty graphics. It wins in terms of having traffic info - which is actually pretty unreliable to be honest. But the TomTom One wins for me in terms of interface and features, as well as WALKING over the Sony price of course.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: