Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2.9 Problems and Speed Camera Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2.9 Problems and Speed Camera Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: 2.9 Problems and Speed Camera Database Reply with quote

Is anyone here NOT using the Speed Camera database and still having problems with 2.9?

Garmin have just asked me a series of questions regarding my problems with the 2.9 firmware (white screens and lock ups) and one was "Do you have a Speed Camera Databases loaded?"

Now i use the PGPSW database and Ash10's program to convert them to GPX files with customised distances. The resulting files can be huge - 305 Kb for the original files and 6.96 Mb after conversion.

Is anyone using an unadulterated (original) copy of the database and still having problems? Or no Speed Camera database at all?

I did mention to Garmin that the 2.82 Beta seemed to have good feedback here (except for the Custom POI category problem) but the 2.9 didn't.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2.9 Problems and Speed Camera Database Reply with quote

i'm using cbrom's convertor but not having any problems

MaFt
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just for the record, I haven't had any freezes for a good few days.

And I'm using the safety camera database and cbrom's utility to tweak the files into GPXs.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005

I've had similar requests from Garmin re the Speed Cam database and POIs - I replied that the problem is worse in map mode (and have Speed Cam and POIs loaded (CSV and GPX). I took these out and still experienced problems.

Garmin also asked what map version, map view, map detail and langauge settings I was using as well as a host of questions about the specific nature of the faults.

Good to know that Garmin are on the case and seem to be asking all the right questions.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've had similar requests from Garmin re the Speed Cam database and POIs - I replied that the problem is worse in map mode

I've found it worse in Navigate mode.

Quote:
Garmin also asked what map version, map view, map detail and langauge settings I was using as well as a host of questions about the specific nature of the faults.

Snap!

Quote:
Good to know that Garmin are on the case and seem to be asking all the right questions.

Yay!
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005

Interesting you for navigation to be worse.

I was more surprised that the voice prompts were at best only 2 seconds earlier on 2.90 than 2.70 (I had two systems side by side) but in all other respects 2.70 won hands down - quciker to calculate initial route, recalculate and refresh the screen.

I offered to Beta test furute versions but Garmin said they only release these on the web so wonder what happened in between 2.70 and 2.82?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so wonder what happened in between 2.70 and 2.82?

In software development not every version gets to Beta.

So they will have tested 2.71 and tweaked it a bit to becomes 2.72 and then tweaked that and made it 2.73 until they hit 2.82. If this was acceptable and it passed all the internal testing it'll be released as 2.82 Beta. The Beta indicator is used to show that it's a "Working Pre-Production Version". In other words there are no known issues or faults but it hasn't been signed off as 100% fit for purpose. Betas get released because the public can provide huge amounts of feedback. Once the release of certified 100% OK it goes live.

However it's interesting that they went from 2.82 Beta to 2.9. As i was taught it they should have just removed the Beta tag and released it as 2.82. It implies they made some more changes between 2.82 and 2.90 when really they shouldn't have. 2.9 should have been 2.9 Beta for a while.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: