Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is it legal to use a GPS with p.o.i.'s In Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it legal to use a GPS with p.o.i.'s In Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beedleboz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Is it legal to use a GPS with p.o.i.'s In Europe Reply with quote

Someone told me it was illegal to use speed camera detectors in France does this include GPS's with P.O,I's installed? or just radar detectors? can anyone throw some light on the subject.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently just radar detectors. GPS and POIs are NOT detection equipment and therefore not banned.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'venoticed as well the new paper-based maps have speed camera locations on them. how hard must it be to follow a map while driving AND trying to look for speed cams on there?!

surely if gps equipment with speed cam locations become illegal they should also make use of the new paper maps illegal too?

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how hard must it be to follow a map while driving AND trying to look for speed cams on there?!

I can imagine it now with the wife "nagivating"....

"So, she said, "well i never""

"So, I said, "She did""

"So, she said, "What did HE say?""

"So, I said, "Well, BONG BONG"

"So, she said "Oh, BING BING BING BING BING BING "

---
Quote:
surely if gps equipment with speed cam locations become illegal they should also make use of the new paper maps illegal too?

IF yes. But they aren't. Only Radar Detectors are - same as they WERE in the UK.
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ! the good old wireless and telegraphy act of the 1940's.

if the truth be known it may be raising its ugly head again.

it was never an offence to have such a device, only to use it for the purpose for which you bought it. this made it almost impossible to prove the offence hence its demise.

remember the cameras are placed in "high risk collision locations," and as such under the freedom of information act you have a right to know.

knowing of their location helps you to assist the government in reaching the target of reducing killed and serious injury road traffic collisions by 50% by 2010. Wink
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:

i think this needs amending seriously! slightly off-topic, but considering the number of people using (illegal) fm transmitters in the uk to listen to mp3 players etc on car radio's you'd think they'd change their definition of a pirate radio-station to transmitting fm frequency's over 20feet - you can hardly call someone using an fm transmitter with a range of 10 or so feet a pirate radio station...

right, back on topic!

MaFt
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:

if the truth be known it may be raising its ugly head again.

it was never an offence to have such a device, only to use it for the purpose for which you bought it. this made it almost impossible to prove the offence hence its demise.

Acksherly, the reason it was overturned / defeated by case law, wasn't because of obstruction / proof of intent. It was a challenge to the rationale behind the application (or mis-application) of the wireless and telegraphy act.

The rationale of the challenge to this being that the emissions from the RADAR gun contained no "information" merely EM "pings". Therefore RADAR detectors were doing nothing more illegal than any other METER that can measure EM emissions (ie the detector was doing nothing more than detect, it wasn't attempting to actually decode / receive signals, merely detect them).

Were it some kind of broadcast that were emitting some privileged message or information, that was being decoded or decrypted, it would have been a different matter, but the challenge quite rightly pointed out that there was nothing more tangible in the EM emitted from a RADAR gun, than, say emissions from door openers at supermarkets.

To be honest, I'd still expect something along the lines of obstruction to be possible, if provable. The flaw that got overturned, though, was using the wrong law, to quite feasibly prevent the use of devices thats use could be made unlawful by the application of other laws.

matb wrote:
remember the cameras are placed in "high risk collision locations," and as such under the freedom of information act you have a right to know.

knowing of their location helps you to assist the government in reaching the target of reducing killed and serious injury road traffic collisions by 50% by 2010. Wink

And in complete fairness, many police forces actively publish and advertise where they have speed traps - both permanent, and temporary / mobile.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: