Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jip123uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: speed cameras Reply with quote

just bought a tomtom go 500 running v5.410 i understand from the disscussions i have read that the speed cameras wont work on this version is there any way i can get around this?if so how?
keep it simple im new 8)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome along, have a read of http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18701 Roberts guide will take you through what is needed to load the speed cameras on to the device, I am not sure what you have read that has given you the impression it won't work, but you won't have a problem, there are discusions abound with respect to POIEdit not working to load the speed cameras, but it is not required - Mike
jip123uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: still got problems Reply with quote

i have followed step by step instructions i can see the gps camera in my settings but when i select enable pocket gps poi its not showing up on my routes what am i doing wrong?plzz help as im ready to boot tom tom out the window i must have read the help guides over and over could i be download the wrong files?or is it my version im running? 5.440 Crying or Very sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than using the enable/ disable option try the "Warn when near POI" located in preferences/ manage POI set each camera up following this option and you should be fine, if the cameras don't show up in this screen you have probably exceeded the maximum allowed (39 custom POI is the general rule but for some software loads this value could be less) - if this is the case delete some of the POI's that you have loaded, once you have worked it out you will love the device for its capability, I certainly wouldn't recommend throwing it out of the window (although I was once tempted Wink ) - Mike
jip123uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: tired the suggestions Reply with quote

i have enabled to warn me on poi cameras but not making any difference also i when i go to delete poi only the gps camera is showing up to delete im glad im practising on my a back up copy have you any suggestions?
i used to have navigator on my pda and never had any problems with that
could you direct me to the correct link for the download i need for my version of tom tom and i will give it another go
thanks for a speedy reply
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the Warn when near POI is an option to check if on route, if you select this the device will only create a warning if a route is present, so de-select it unless you always drive with a route planned.

The files you have loaded must be the correct type (ov2 and bmp) both of which should be copied to the device, the reason I say you must have the correct files is that the TomTom will recognise the POI and as its the only one visible in the delete option then you have not exceeded the permitted amount.

If you need the warn if POI on route checked then plan a route, using advanced planning A to B, (make sure it goes past a couple of known local cameras) then use the view / show route demo and set the speed to 100%

For example use adavanced planning A to B and set the departure point (using the postcode option) to FY43PG house number 33, set the destination (using the post code option) to PR41XA house number 33, choose fastest route (if asked).

The warnings should then pop up at the distance you selected within the Warn when near POI setting (yards) when you run the route demo.

Following this route will very quickly give you a GATSO alert followed by a mobile alert, if you have the single file loaded then you should recieve 2 warnings within one min of setting the demo going.

Local knowledge has let me quote these points for a "test " journey - I have no idea who might live at the addresses quoted, but its good for a quick test.

Mike
jip123uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: no joy Reply with quote

followed the post code routes you suggested there was no warnings on the route demo for me nor did i see any cameras unchecked the warn only if poi on route whats going on?tom tom getting nearer the window! Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the link for the speed cameras http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras you need to select the TomTom OV2, then press the continue button, at the next screen use the drop down box to select the correct file type UK - Single file with all cameras download this to a known location then copy it across to the SD card from this point follow the guide I linked to earlier this morning the bit you are looking for starts at :-

"Step 1. Download the POI file
Download the POI zip file. Save the file on your computer by selecting “save” when prompted. Save the file in a place where you can easily find it again for step 3 of the installation, e.g. on your Desktop or in My Documents. Unzip the contents.

Step 2. Connect your TomTom GO to your PC
Connect your TomTom GO to your PC using the USB data cable. The USB cable is supplied with your TomTom GO product. Ensure that TomTom GO is powered using the AC adapter.

Your TomTom GO is now visible in "My Computer" as a "Removable Disk".

Step 3. Copy the POI files from your PC
Go to the directory on the local hard drive of your PC where you stored or downloaded the unzipped POI database files (.OV2 and optionally .BMP files)
Select and copy the POI database files.
You must copy the (.OV2 and .BMP) files - do NOT copy the folders
."

Just in case pay attention to the last statement do NOT copy the folders you MUST copy the individual files across - Mike
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you realise that you have to become a member before you download the camera database:

You can subscribe here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php
jip123uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: subcription fee Reply with quote

hi rob am i right in thinking there is a subcription charge for the speed camera database?if so then thats my problem solved.only i downloaded cameras onto my pda navigator about 8 months ago and didnt pay and everything worked fine Embarassed
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the charges only came in during feburary 2 pounds per month or 19 per year

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
jip123uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: great Reply with quote

now i know what the problem is i feel much better spent 2 days on this,
explains alot . :D i can now sort it thanks
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the old poi files should work on the new machine though

device Lumia 950 xl
jip123uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: confused Reply with quote

i dont understand are you saying i should still be able to get the cameras without subcribing? Question
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no im saying the cameras you have from the old system should work on the new one

but id go for a newer version and start from scratch as the database has moved on in leeps and bounds since then

device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: