Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just so you know
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just so you know

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark3844
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Just so you know Reply with quote

Dear all, where as the camera databases undoubtably help prevent you being caught by slowing down in the areas the camera/vans are used, (arguably achieving the Police's objective, as we slow down) It should be pointed out that the devices used by a large precentage of the UK Police forces can not be dectected, until they find a device that recognises the movement of a hand from within a Volvo!

The system used is called Vascar and works by callibrating the revolutions of the wheels on the car across a set mile. The device then works as a stop watch and milometre. The officer simply measures your time over to marks and then uses the patrol car, (which is callorbrated to the mile) accross the same 2 points to find the distance. Distance over time = speed, so you average speed is measured. The device does not emit any signals. So the only answer is not to speed.

Safe driving
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like this -
http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/speed04.htm ;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Mark3844
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the type, although that appears to be an all singing all dancing one. Some kit in uk patrol cars will not have intergrated video. It should also be noted that if two officers are present in a vehicle they can collaborate each others evidence to the fact the person was speeding, eg followed for certain amount of time at constant distance and where travelling in xs of the speed limit. (on motorway). No collaboration from any kit is needed.
chris123
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first 3 points from a Vascar equipped traffic car over 15 years ago. I got my next 3 points a year later from a bike cop - no Vascar, no second cop, all he needed was a calibrated speedo (standard for traffic cars / bikes).

Unfortunately police traffic officers are seen an ongoing cost - salary, training, equipment, etc. This means speed cameras, as well as HATOs (Highways Agency Traffic Officers) and other bright ideas are seen as ways of saving money, and are all used to cut down / limit police numbers - I do a lot of miles and it is very rare to see a traffic police car or bike these days, compared to 10 years ago.

So we have a whole publicity circus about 'Speed Kills' which justifies speed cameras, because 'inappropriate speed, tail gating, driving an unroadworthy vehicle and driving dangerously kills' not only doesn't make such a snappy tagline but also highlights what a useless one trick pony speed cameras are.

If using the speed camera database leads to less speed cameras, and to more traffic police officers on the roads then I see that as a win-win situation. Sadly all I think it will mean is more and more desperate attempts to hide cameras and con people that minor speeding offences are the root of all evil.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/12/07/ncam07.xml

Quote:
Durham's chief constable, Paul Garvin....believes that fining people for speeding does not reduce accidents, which, he says, are almost always caused by other factors, including drinking, drug-taking or simple carelessness.

Mr Garvin said that as well as having fewer casualties, Durham also had 34 per cent fewer road accidents than the national average. These low accident and casualty rates were, he said, because speed was rarely a factor in crashes.

Chris
PocketGPS speed camera database
Mark3844
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I whole heartedly agree with the last posts comments about the reduction in Traffic Officers, as the camera, and indeed the HATA or PCSO Trafiic, that are on there way can in no way replace a further and normally much more experienced bobby. We pay our taxes for fully trained proffessionals to keep us safe, not Policing on the cheap! I happen to live in Hampshire and am happy to say that the cameras here are not revenue makers but purely to reduce roads deaths. Hampshire Police have a Policy of only placing cameras on roads that have the unfortunate title of being responsible for road deaths, in addition they place cameras in such locations as corners where doing over the limit has caused death. Now I have to say that if going over 40 around a corner is dangerous and putting a camera jsut before it slows people down, I cant see and agruement against them there!
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more.

Was it Durham's Cheif Constable who said that if a camera caught someone, it wasn't doing its job properly?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: