Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Axim X50 what GPS hardware / software?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Axim X50 what GPS hardware / software?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivan275
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Axim X50 what GPS hardware / software? Reply with quote

Never had a GPS or PDA in my life and will be getting a Dell Axim X50 in about a week (I have new blank 1 gig SD card and 512mb that i use in my mp3 player), and I have a few questions that will help me determine what I need to get 4 it.

I would like to use it as a car GPS(streets) and hiking/camping(topo)

#1. For hiking i think a blue-tooth GPS is out, so... what would be some pros and cons of CF and SD GPS cards? Battery consumption?

#2. Will TomTom be able to use "DeLorme Topo 5" exported maps for pda? What would i need to do to get street maps for a city and still get topo for a few places? Will Tom-Tom need to load the whole state or can i select the parts I need?

#3. 16 Channels vs. 20 Channels vs. 32 Channels? More channels better accuracy?

#4. Will,lets say TomTom be able to show GPS coordinates?

#5. External antenna is for? accuracy? inside vehicle?

#6. Are PPC window versions updateable(Win 2003 to Win 2005)?

#7. Did I miss anything? Any other comments suggestions will be appreciated...
Ivan275
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate not having an edit button... Just remembered

#8. Do GPS CF/SD cards work with any mapping software? Anything that will tell me what card will work with what software? What do I look for in a card that will tell me it will work with TomTom?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will leave most of the answers to the real experts but ....

Tom Tom is only any good for roads, which it snaps to. It does not show topographical details and is no good for cross country hiking - although it is OK for walking in cities as long as you stick to the defined roads. It will not work with your topographical maps. Tom Tom maps cover the whole of their designated area and can't be split into just the area you want.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Axim X50 what GPS hardware / software? Reply with quote

Ivan275 wrote:
Never had a GPS or PDA in my life and will be getting a Dell Axim X50 in about a week (I have new blank 1 gig SD card and 512mb that i use in my mp3 player), and I have a few questions that will help me determine what I need to get 4 it.

I would like to use it as a car GPS(streets) and hiking/camping(topo)
You will need a car holder and power leads for the PDA, I would also recomend a waterproof bag/ enclosure for walking, PDA's don't like the wet, put these on the shopping list for later.
Ivan275 wrote:

#1. For hiking i think a blue-tooth GPS is out, so... what would be some pros and cons of CF and SD GPS cards? Battery consumption? ?

A lot of people have reported problems getting the CF units to work correctly with TomTom, also as both the CF and SD GPS units are powered from the PDA you will flatten your battery even faster than using an external unit (Bluetooth), I use my Bluetooth GPS unit when walking with no problems, get a good eight hours use from a full charge.
Ivan275 wrote:

#2. Will TomTom be able to use "DeLorme Topo 5" exported maps for pda? What would i need to do to get street maps for a city and still get topo for a few places? Will Tom-Tom need to load the whole state or can i select the parts I need?
TomTom uses its own maps, never tried the US versions so I can't comment on how the map splits up for America.
Ivan275 wrote:

#3. 16 Channels vs. 20 Channels vs. 32 Channels? More channels better accuracy?
Try looking for a GPS unit that uses a SiRF-III chipset, these have far greater sensitivity.
Ivan275 wrote:

#4. Will,lets say TomTom be able to show GPS coordinates?
Yes from withing the preferences/ GPS applet within the program.
Ivan275 wrote:

#5. External antenna is for? accuracy? inside vehicle?

Generally used if the vehicle is fitted with heat reflective glass, whereby the GPS signal will not get through to the GPS unit inside the vehicle.
Ivan275 wrote:

#6. Are PPC window versions updateable(Win 2003 to Win 2005)?
Some are some are not, this depends on whether the manufacturer of the PDA decides to make an upgrade available (usually at a cost, and they don't allways work at first), I am a firm believer that if something was designed and built to use a specific software version then it should be left alone, no doubt others will have entirely the oposite view to this comment!
Ivan275 wrote:

#7. Did I miss anything? Any other comments suggestions will be appreciated...
See my points at the top re power leads and holder, also you could consider an external power box to keep the PDA going when out walking, I have a home made one that gives me over 8 hours before the PDA starts to use its own battery
Ivan275 wrote:

#8. Do GPS CF/SD cards work with any mapping software? Anything that will tell me what card will work with what software? What do I look for in a card that will tell me it will work with TomTom?
To work with TomTom the GPS unit must have an NMEA type data output

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: