Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go Questions Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting a Go 700 as I've seen them as cheap as £306 on sites as the new ones are coming out soon and I would like to know the following questions.

I'm mostly interested in the inputting and use of the Spead Camera Database, once the database has been installed do I have to always input my destination etc and follow this for the speed camera's to show up, or has the tom tom's got a button that always displays where you currently are and is updated in real time so that as you are aproaching a camera it will show you or tell you. I do multi drop work and I don't want to input all my destinatiosn before the system will work. ?

My mate had a Mio 268, and it was very slow doing route calcualtions etc, I've seen the Tom Tom Go 700 in action and it's very fast, what about the other 2 the 300 and the 500?
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed cameras are treated as POI's and as such you can choose if you want to be warned about only those on your route or not.

If you choose the former then unless a route is planned you will not be warned. The later will warn you of any that are within the warning distance either with or without a route planned.

So if the distance was set to 200yds and you pass a junctiojn and the cam is 100yds upthe side street you'd get a warning.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry didn't notice your other points.

You can't actually plan a multi drop route that would give you a logical route. Not sure if IRCC but think I read somewhere this may be a feature of new gen of TT's.

As to speed there seems to be little difference in route calculation between TT's though on more complex routes the 700 may be slightly quicker.
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soory just to clarafy your saying that if I choose to be warned of the POI on the route it will only warn me of them if a route is planned but if I choose not to be warned of POI than it will warn me of them if the route is not planned seems weird?

So there is a feature so I don't have to plan a route I can just switch it on and it will show me my current position on the map and it is updated in real time?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a "clear route" button. Once pressed, the GO will show a map of where you are. It will scroll as you travel. All functions are available. If you have chosen to show the speed cameras, these will still be shown. If you have set the warning sounds, these sounds will still work. But, as said above you need to UN-tick a box labelled "Warn only if on route". The logic is that if you have no route planned then there is no route to warn you on. So no warning sound if the box is ticked. It does mean that you will get warnings from cameras on side streets within the range you set, but the display clearly shows where they are and a quick glance will allow you to assess and ignore.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrianhaslett wrote:
Soory just to clarafy your saying that if I choose to be warned of the POI on the route it will only warn me of them if a route is planned but if I choose not to be warned of POI than it will warn me of them if the route is not planned seems weird?

So there is a feature so I don't have to plan a route I can just switch it on and it will show me my current position on the map and it is updated in real time?

That is correct. It also shows you adjoining road names and the name of the road you are on,and will beep for speed cameras if you have selected that option. Though annoyingly IMHO, if you are following a route, it tells you the name of the next road you will *turn* onto, not the name of the current one! I guess it thinks you dont need to know its name if you are following the route.

FWIW re your 300/500 question, I have a 300 and route recalculations are extremely fast, just a few seconds.

Tw
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry seems my initial explanation was less then clear (re reading it I can see that).

Hopefully the situation is clear now:

You can choose to be warned only if the POI (speed cam) is on your route, in this case you'll only recieve warnings if you plan a route.

If you untick this option you'll be warned everytime the POI is in range either with or without a planned route. As I mentioned before this can give you lots of warnings where the POI is on a side road but still within the warning range.

Sorry for confusion
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word of warning about using the "on route" POI warning option.

If the POI has been recorded over a certain distance away from the road it will not alert using the "on route" option.

In short you may not get a warning if the TT decides that the POI is too far away from the road. There are instances I have come across in the Speedcam database where this happens.

Just something to look out for Wink

Chris
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further clarification Wink

You will always SEE the cameras on the display as you drive along, the "Only on Route/No Route Set" issue is only about the ALERTS (sound warning and flashing icon on screen).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_w wrote:
...you may not get a warning if the TT decides that the POI is too far away from the road. There are instances I have come across in the Speedcam database where this happens.

I always send in a report about these with a more accurate position marked that DOES trigger the TomTom.

There was even one on the M40 approach to London that although it looked as though it was on the main carriageway, the map "thought" it was part of the slip road, so would never trigger an alert when "Warn only when on Route" was ticked. I cheated and moved it a couple of yards further down, until all was well.
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your reply's looks though the TomTom will be what i'm looking for.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: