Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Warn near POI - voice warnings problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Warn near POI - voice warnings problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFCChris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Warn near POI - voice warnings problems Reply with quote

I've downloaded the speed camera database and also the enhanced voice warnings from this site and I have the speed cameras in my POI list. I want to enable the voice warnings but I have had trouble.

I went into the "warn when near POI" but how do I know what voice warning I need to assign to what speed cameras? I'm maybe being a bit thick here but I can't work it out. Is there any quick quide on this anywhere?

The voice warning file is the correct one for version 5.41 on my Tom Tom One by the way.

Any help would be appreciated.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a list somewhere, but it's probably quicker to just step through all the "noises" and press TEST to hear each one and note them down on a piece of paper.
If you want a more elegant solution, Ray Flanagan's site has an add-on which allows lots more alerts than the standard 15, and you can actuaslly re-name them something more sensible than "cow" etc.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And something else I forgot to mention.... because the camera files are ALL called "PocketGPSWsomething" it is hard to see which one you are dealing with. To see more of the name, HOLD your finger on one and it will change to a smaller font. If you dn't want to select that one, wipe your finger to any edge of the screen before you lift it off.
AFCChris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for your responses.

I have tested the noises but what I can't work out is which noise should correspond to which voice message that I've got in the new voice warning file. Obviously I want a meaningful decription of the speed camera coming up and not a cowbell or ring.

Cheers

chris
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm...
If you have installed the new data.chk correctly, you shouldn't be hearing the noises any more. The names are the same but you should be hearing the voice alerts.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFCChris wrote:
I have tested the noises but what I can't work out is which noise should correspond to which voice message that I've got in the new voice warning file.

Just Press Test and if it's not the right one, Scroll to the next. Repeat until you have what you need.Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading your original post again, maybe we are heading in the wrong direction here.
Are you saying that:
1) you have realised that the warnings will still be called "cow" "bell 1" etc,
2) have got the voice warnings installed and can hear them, but
3) can't decide which to asign to which camera?

If that is the case, its really down to you...
The list I have is:
Beep 1 Gatso
Beep 2 Gatso 30
Beep 3 Gatso 40
Beep 4 Gatso 50
Beep 5 Gatso 60
Bell 1 Mobile
Bell 2 Mobile 30
Bell 3 Mobile 40
Boing Mobile 50
Bugle Mobile 60
Cow Mobile 70
Cuckoo Red Light
Polite 1 Specs
Polite 2 Temporary
Polite 3 Credits

So.... the obvious omission is that there is no file for Gatso 70. Several people have suggested that the (pointless to the end-user) "credits" file should not be using up a valuable slot, but it's still there.
I'd suggest using "Gatso" for Gatso20, Gatso70 and Gatso Variable, and "Mobile" for Mobile 20 (if there are any!). "Specs" will have to do for all the speed-zoned Specs files.

As I said above you might like to have a look at Ray Flanagan's site which has an add-on which allows lots more alerts than the standard 15, and you can actually re-name them something more sensible than "cow" etc.
He also has voice alert files that match his high quality navigation voices, although as I haven't used them myself, I'm not certain how many different alerts there are in each set.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I use the Liz voices from Rays site and the POIExtend utility to re-name the titles to meaningfull ones, I have individual warnings as follows
Gatso
Gatso 30,40,50,60,70, VAR
Mobile
Mobile 30,40,50,60,70
Specs
Specs 30,40,50,60,70
Redlight
Temp
That's 21 individual warnings, note the gatso var warning is not on Rays site yet as far as I can remember - Mike
AFCChris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have got somewhere now and have some basic voice warnings set up. I didn't download the file which breaks the cameras down into 30mph gatso, 40mph etc so I can't assign more warnings. I downloaded the file with all of the cameras so I'm just happy to get a warning when the camera is coming and slow down accordingly.

I am going away tomorrow and haven't got the time to download the other camera files but I will do so as it's better to know exactly what speed the camera is checking for.

Thanks for all the help. I'm normally more switched on about things like this but I suppose I've been rushing to set my Tom Tom up before I go away to sunny Weymouth!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: