Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - US Individual City Maps.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

US Individual City Maps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clear_Mist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: US Individual City Maps. Reply with quote

Hello everone,

As a new forum member and a new owner of a TTG500 i would be grateful for your help.

I am travelling to Orlando, Florida in a few months time. I am flying to Sanford Airport, stopping in the Kissimmie area and of course visiting Disneyland.

As this trip will probably be a one-off, I contacted Tomtom regarding downloading maps of individual cities and which maps i would require for my trip.
They replied, that i should purchase US map for the whole southeast region.

After their not to helpful reply, i searched on their website and found the following city maps :-

Sandford Airport : City Map US - Deltona FL (v567) 1354KB

Disneyland : City Map US - Orlando FL (v567) 2288KB

Kissimmie area : City Map US - St Cloud FL (v567) 1299KB

I would be grateful if someone could advise if these maps are appropriate for my trip? Or do i require different/more maps?

Many thanks.
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that TomTom may be right about buying the SouthEast map. Can you actually figure out which of those city maps you need to buy? They give you no idea of the coverage. And you they will not be connected up, so you will not be able to use your TomTom getting from one area to another. Go for the SouthEast map.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: US Individual City Maps. Reply with quote

Clear_Mist wrote:
Hello everone,

As a new forum member and a new owner of a TTG500 i would be grateful for your help.

I am travelling to Orlando, Florida in a few months time. I am flying to Sanford Airport, stopping in the Kissimmie area and of course visiting Disneyland.

As this trip will probably be a one-off, I contacted Tomtom regarding downloading maps of individual cities and which maps i would require for my trip.
They replied, that i should purchase US map for the whole southeast region.

After their not to helpful reply, i searched on their website and found the following city maps :-

Sandford Airport : City Map US - Deltona FL (v567) 1354KB

Disneyland : City Map US - Orlando FL (v567) 2288KB

Kissimmie area : City Map US - St Cloud FL (v567) 1299KB

I would be grateful if someone could advise if these maps are appropriate for my trip? Or do i require different/more maps?

Many thanks.

Suppose someone was flying to the UK and visiting Birmingham, London and Bristol. Would you advise them just to buy maps of Heathrow airport, Solihull, Chiswick and Bristol in order to save a few quid? Thats the equivalent of what you are looking to do.

Buy what you were recommended or just use paper maps, IME Florida is pretty easy to navigate around anyway, all the tourist attractions are v well marked (I guess thats what you are going for) but if you are looking to save on marital map reading hassles, a set of disconnected maps certainly isnt the way to go. Also saves you the hassle of removing and carrying around the tomtom.

You might alternatively investigate the additional cost of having sat nav in your hire car.

tw
Clear_Mist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the internet to find out which areas i would be travelling to/ through during my stay, then searched on tomtotm site to find the relevant city maps.

Quote:
And you they will not be connected up, so you will not be able to use your TomTom getting from one area to another.

From what i have found out, the maps should overlap, so i thought i would always be covered. But what do you mean exactly 'not connected up' ?

Quote:
You might alternatively investigate the additional cost of having sat nav in your hire car.

Already have. Its about £100 and if its available, and as i already have the tt unit i thought it would be better to just purchase additional individual city maps.

I do appreciate your thoughts and comments regarding purchasing the whole SouthEast Region but I thought the whole point of being able to purchase individual city maps is so that you do not have to purchase a complete region.
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear_Mist wrote:
I used the internet to find out which areas i would be travelling to/ through during my stay, then searched on tomtotm site to find the relevant city maps.

Quote:
And they will not be connected up, so you will not be able to use your TomTom getting from one area to another.

From what i have found out, the maps should overlap, so i thought i would always be covered. But what do you mean exactly 'not connected up' ?

I do appreciate your thoughts and comments regarding purchasing the whole SouthEast Region but I thought the whole point of being able to purchase individual city maps is so that you do not have to purchase a complete region.

With separate maps, *even if they overlap*, you cannot navigate from a point on one map to a point on another map.

So, the point of having seperate maps is to save money if you are only navigating *within* an area, for example Sandford Airport (unlikely!). If you wish to navigate *between* areas, Sandford to Orlando say, which I believe will be your main function, since as I said getting around within those places is in general easy, then you need one map that covers them all. This is what TT recommended, which was the correct advice for you, they werent trying to pull a fast one.

You might think you could get round this by driving from say Sandford to Orlando, then switching to the Orlando map, but apart from the danger of doing that on the move, the TT wouldnt know what route you should take out of Sandford to get to Orlando so you'd lose 90% of the value ofa GPS immediately. And if you plan to follow the signposts to do that, then you dont need a GPS at all in the first place!

If saving money is your issue, then my advice would be to buy the regional map on an SD card and then sell it on eBay when you return. (as opposed to reselling the downloaded map which I dont think is legal)

Hope this makes it all clear

Tw
Clear_Mist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh...i see now.

Money wasn't the issue, just didn't want to pay extra for something which was not completely required and so, would not be fully used.

I understand now, and i will be contacting TT for the SE Region map (on SD).

Reselling it on Ebay on my return was an excellent idea, many thanks TumbleWeed and 46Jimbo.
bmwtouring
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: South East USA map from tomtom Reply with quote

I recently downloaded the SouthEast USA map for £40 from tomtom, I thought that was better than lots of area specific maps!
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you might want to think about is how you're going to mount your Go in the car. I don't know what the law in Florida is, but it's illegal to mount devices to the windscreen in California - see http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even windscreen wipers? Wink
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
Windscreen wipers are ok, as is a rear-view mirror and sun visors. The page I linked to describes what can and can't be fitted, and while not specifying GPS devices, it imples that such devices cannot be fitted.

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: