Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - US Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

US Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithmdw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: US Maps Reply with quote

I bought my TTN5 mainly for use in the US and when not in my own car in the UK (I have factory fitted nav in the car).

Any way, before I go and spend money on the US maps (not that I have a choice really now though having bought TTN5) can anyone shed any light on the things I have read that claim there may be problems using the US maps on the latest TTN.

I would have though that the maps available on the TT website would work with the latest version of TT.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have no problems with the maps from the tomtom website.

If you are only using it when you are in the US, I believe that most car rental companies offer the option of sat nav these days. Not too much more either.
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
keithmdw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will get used in the UK when I am not driving my own car or am on foot etc. Just nothing like the amount I will use it in the US.

I'd rather have my own nav with me when travelling rather than rely on a rental companies. At least that way I am 100% with it's function etc. before I get there.
gearjammer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: US maps Reply with quote

Hi,

Thought I would give my 'tu-peneth' to this information request on US maps.

I used TTN3 extensively last year travelling from Calgary to Anchorage, Alaska; they were excellent, but with one or two little quirks. When you are driving in the wilderness, then the route wanders all over the place on the PDA screen, into lakes and rivers, but always within 50 - 100 yards of your location. As soon as you get within 50 miles of a city, it just clicks straight to the road and never deviates from it. I suspect that remote road location data was entered via a 'desktop exercise' rather than data gathered from driving the route itself.

I am travelling right across the USA later this year and have updated to TTN5 USA and find it works great on my hx4700 at home (as expected). By using MS 'Streets and Trips' I can plan my route easily on my PC, then save an .itn file directly via ITNconv.exe to TTN5 and it works a treat.

I agree with your decision to take your own navigation gear; you cannot guarantee you will get a vehicle with sat-nav, or that you will be confident of using it correctly, even though they are simple to use.

Another tip that may help; I also added MS 'pocket streets' data on major locations to my PDA as a backup. It is a free addition to the main program and came in useful on several occasions as it had better geographical data when travelling along the Rockies. It is a pain saving small location data blocks though.

Final point, free internet access (via lan and wifi) is common in most hotels in the USA, so make sure you have your device ready for internet and email use.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: