Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - keep left when it was turn left
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

keep left when it was turn left

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: keep left when it was turn left Reply with quote

Was using my i3 last night on a journey i have done before so did know it (only had my i3 4 days so still using it on routes i know just to try it out)

twice on the journey it said keep left when infact it was a left turn. One of them was from an A road onto a B road so if i did not know and didnt look at the screen i may not of taken the turn as i would not of slowed down enough.

I have v7 maps but am running 2.7 (well unit says i have latest software when using garmin webupdater)

going to update to v8 maps anyway. Do you think it would solve the problem. Im not that worried as if i miss a turning as it will just recalculate!!

Just wanted to know if this was expieranced by others or was it just a random bit of miscalculation

Matt
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the problem ?????????????
Left means left, Doesn't it? "Keep" or "turn" is a minor issue in the world of GPS and it doesn't indicate any mlfunction or miscalculation.
People will have to recognize that these things are not flawless as they are merely made by humans after all.
channeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: keep left when it was turn left Reply with quote

It doesn't hurt to just share questions or experience of using the unit though.

I think the more you use the i3 the more you get used to interpreting the voice commands and understand how it is functioning eg: the warnings to turn in such a distance and the last minute turn command.
It is worth practicing with it on familiar routes. Also on one route the unit told me to do a right turn but I realised that it was only because the road did a right angle turn ie: really it was just "follow the road". I'll know for similar situations in the future. So far I have mainly only come across the keep left or keep right commands on motorways or dual carriageways where there is lane control depending upon which road/direction you want to take. Out of interest was there any filter lane on the road you mentioned?

Paul
mattred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right its not major but sometimes if you are on a main a road they are dual carrigway or split and you need to "keep left" if going straight ahead or "keep right" if turning right. This also happened on the journey so that was what i expected.

What i was talking about above is turning off a road. With a 90degree (almost) left turn from an A road to a B road i thought it would tell me to turn off the road not just keep left.

If they ment the same why does it sometimes say keep and sometimes turn?

Matt
mattred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Channeler was typing my last message as you replyed

As you said i would expect the word "keep" to be used on motorways/dual carrigways when you needed to be in a certain lane.

What i was on was a single carrige A road.

Have also expierance a right angle turn in road when unit said turn but like you say you understand what it means and is no problem.

Matt
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time when i've been confused by the I3 was when i was heading north out of Bristol on the M32 and wanting to join the M4 heading east. The screen showed it correctly but the voice told me to take the ramp left, i.e Wales!!
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've learnt is that when the unit says 'turn left' it means the next available turn - not immediately!

Can be quite off-putting it you're actually passing another left turn whilst unit gives the instruction...Wife still hasn't got the hang of this - and constantly believes that she's missing turns Laughing

Aitch
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'keep left' should be given when the road splits into two directions and if staying in the wrong lane would take you in the wrong direction. For example on a 3 motorway where the inside lane becomes the exit and the rest of the motorway goes down into 2 lanes.

If you heard an incorrect keep left then submit it to NAVTEQ and they will investigate, most likely taking out the incorrect coded bifucation.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine seems to do it at Y junctions on most road types, when you hear hear this I find it best to quickly glance at the display for confirmation.

What's more worrying is that it doesn't seem to distinguish between the main road you are on and the junction off of it on a right angle bend. For example when travelling down a main road and your route takes you onto a B road that is in effect straight ahead the unit doesn't say anything. Why in these instances it cannot recognise the fact that you are leaving the main road I find a little perplexing as surely it recognises that you are leaving the Axx. I have learnt that in such situations a quick glance at the display is also required when confronted with such a junction.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This behaviour is not specific to Garmin..Its the same with TTN3 .

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: