Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help! Legend Cx purchase questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Legend Cx purchase questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunpazed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Help! Legend Cx purchase questions Reply with quote

I'm looking to purchase a eTrex Legend Cx US model simply because they are unavaliable in Australia at the moment. I know that the US model comes with the American basemap, but I was also thinking of purchasing the Garmin WorldMap and using that in liu of the basemap. The cost of WorldMap + the Legend Cx is cheaper than what I can purchase a Legend C in Australia! Really! :D

Can the WorldMap be uploaded to the Cx and be used to search for city's and towns just like the basemap? Will it view just like the basemap at scales larger than 5km? I will be travelling to Europe soon so the WorldMap would be a valid purchase to me.

Also, I was also thinking of purchasing the Australian MetroGuide for use at home.
Can this exist simultanously with the WorldMap at different scales? Question

Thanks for you help guys! :-)
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WorldMap can be viewed here:-
http://www.garmin.com/cartography/

Navigating with it will be limited - there are no roads in the UK other than Motorways and Main roads - In Europe there are no roads marked to e.g. Sorrento in Italy!!

The MetroGuide series does not support 'turn by turn routing'

You will find that MetroGuide UK is over 100MB and Europe over 400MB so you will have to be selective what to put in the 32MB card!

The CitySelect/Navigator series is the most suitable for navigation obtainable either by DVD or seleted areas on the micro SD cards.

Basically you seem to be buying the wrong unit [American instead of Australian] and wanting it to cover Europe and Australia! The software could cost more than the unit!
sunpazed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, the Legend Cx plus the Worldmap price are cheaper than an Australian spec Legend C, so it is cheaper than a AU spec GPS. :-)

I'd like to use the WorldMap as a replacement for the US basemap.

I know that you cant replace the basemap, I just wanted to know if this was possible at all scales (even below 5km).

As for storage, this isn't a problem. I've already got a 512Mb Transflash / microSD card from my Mobile Phone that I can use.

I wont be purchasing the CitySelect maps for Europe, I'll just be using the WorldMap.
sunpazed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I've now purchased the Legend Cx - and have subsequently answered my own questions. ;-)

I purchased the unit from Provantage in the US, who have DHL shipping options internationally. The level of customer service was great, much better than with any Aussie online retailer I've delt with. Rolling Eyes

The unit was $240 + $38 US for shipping, which is a great price! Significantly cheaper than buying an Australian unit. Infact you cant get a Cx here - Australian Legend C unit (not an 'x' model) retails for $320 US locally!

The unit arrived in only 3 days, and I was surprised not to be pinged local tax and import duty. :D

I also picked up a version of Mapsource WorldMap from eBay (boxed original but used) for hardly anything.

I was surprised that the default US basemap also includes a low-res map of the whole world - without roads of course. I then fired up MapSource and uploaded Australasia to the unit. Unfortunately, the WorldMap detail is next to useless. I wasn't too upset, after all I had only purchased an old cheap version of WorldMap. The routing capability on the basemap is hopeless aswell, why bother? If I'm travelling 800km, I'm well aware of what direction and freeway to take.

In a nutshell, WorldMap is useless and Garmin should give this away for free.

I'm now thinking of purchasing City Navigator or Metroguide for Australia. The wonderful colour screen seems to be a waste without a decent mapping tool.

Anyway - this little experiment has proved (to me atleast) that buying a unit locally just for the basemap is of little use, apart of course from supporting your local GPS store. But I've been doing that for awhile now Wink

Oh I've also noticed that the reception quality is much better than my Foretrex 101 - both on my bike and on the path - but thats expected!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: