Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smiffyz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: upgrade Reply with quote

Hi, i'm running tomtom 3 on my ipaq 2210 and i'm in need of an upgrade, what is the best available without replacing my ipaq, and before i buy it, will there be a newer version coming out the day after i buy it (thats what usually happens) Crying or Very sad

Thanks
Geoff
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ipaq will be fine if you go for tt5 then theres no iminent update though in the past around this time of year tomtom have anounced newer versions but it your thinkingof going for tt5 you should be safe

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
smiffyz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alix :D
smiffyz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, does tt5 give the audible speed cam warnings like tt mobile? or just show where they are as in my tt3?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On TTN3 you could use Checkpoint for voice warnings, 30 seconds before camera then 10 secs. Which is better than TTN5 where you input a distance before the camera and you get a warning beep-beep rather than a voice. It can be done but it appears a bit fiddly.

TTN5 maps are newer than 3's but I've read in these forums that many think going to 5 was a backward step.

TTN3 gave faster lock ons and having POI's shown didn't slow the display. With 5 you really need to turn all POI's off or you could get 'lag'.

If it's the maps you are interested in then go for 5 but if you are otherwise happy with 3, don't upgrade just for the sake of it. Maybe evn wait for TTN6 to appear. (If and when).

There will be differing opinions but you will have to add up the pro's and con's.

Personally I went for 5 because I needed Street level in France.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice style warnings are not too difficult to sort out, and it is possible to get double warnings using TomTom's inbuilt system without resorting to the add on applications like CheckPOI, but TT5 will not support wav type files, there is information regarding this elsewhere on the site.
If you want to uderstand the timing of warnings then convert time to yards for each speed (this assumes you will be traveling at or close to the relevent camera speed threshold) Yards in one mile = 1760 multiply by the speed zone you are setting, this will produce yards per hour for the speed you are dealing with, divide this figure by 3600 to give you yards per second multiply this resultant figure by the number of seconds prior warning you require. At 70MPH a 30 second advance warning can give some surprisingly large figures in excess of 1000 yards (1027 when rounded), I wonder how many are still using the TT default of 300 Yards (ish) - Mike
smiffyz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O looks like ive not been using it to its full potential, all i can get is the pic's of the cameras, no audible warnings. how do i set them up?
I might keep with tt3 if i can do that.
I didnt think it possible with the 2210? Embarassed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want spoken warnings using TT3 then you need CheckPOInt vs3,2 from the downloads section of this site, then you need to configure it to use the warnings, the .wav files used to be included in the safety camera download, but other warnings can be found elsewhere that work just as well - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: