Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voices directory on XDA mini S
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voices directory on XDA mini S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Voices directory on XDA mini S Reply with quote

I been using TT mobile 5 for a while now on a Nokia 6600. I have been wanting to upgrade to a PDA for some while now but the price of having to buy navigator when I already own TTmobile put me off. Now on the mobile forum there is a way to legally upgrade without buying the whole package.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P2DF5226C

This is for going from mobile to navigator, but I found it worked the other way as well. Basically you install the 5.2 update, then you manually add the maps & voices from TTmoble.
So I have upgraded to a XDA mini S.
The only problem I'm having is the voices only work if the voices are installed on the internal memory, I want to move them onto the SD card to conserve memory, but this doesn't work. Is there a way of doing this without having to install the voices from the navigator CD rom (I beleive from reading other posts that the memory card can be selected when installing from the CD)

Thanks in advance

Rodders
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the root of the memory card you need a folder called voices and put the voice files in here, you also need a folder called tomtom in the root of the card, this doesn't have to have anything in it. The other thread you linked to mentioned about different sampling rates for the audio as applicable to each platform, so you might experiance some strange sounds but it should work - try some other voices for free at http://www.tomtomsatnav.info/ (voice skins section) - Mike
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I now have all that working, maps are on the storage card, but is there anyway of getting the voices to work from the storage card?
BTW the 16Khz sampling rate works fine, voices sound normal.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create the folders on the memory card as I stated above, then cut and paste the actual voice files from the memory area to the voices folder on the card. If you are using the Jane voice there will be two files to transfer accross, data05.chk and data05.vif, these files are probably currently in MyDocuments/ TomTom - Mike
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do apologise, I misread the above post. Works great now, can't believe it was something as simple as putting a blank folder on the card.
I have now downloaded the standard 22 KHz voices from tomtom as they are free, rather than use the 16 KHz voices.
Thanks very much for your help.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear its working, look at one of the above posts and find a URL link, try what is on that site, some great voices, and other utilities, a word of warning though if you mess around with the POIExtend/ data.chk files please back up your working device first - then if it all goes wrong you can at least recover in a matter of mins - Mike
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the site looks excellent. Should keep me entertained for a while. The POI warnings look good, 6600 struggled with speed zoned, so that's the first thing I'll have a play with on the new phone.

Thanks again.
grahamwalker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got the problem the other way around. My voices are crackly and breaking up. I assume its the data transfer speed of my SD card. Can I create a voice folder on my PDA and put the voices in there for better performance? If so, where should the folder be put?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: