Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Impossible to enter certain Postcodes in TTM5 on SPV C500
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Impossible to enter certain Postcodes in TTM5 on SPV C500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mozzerr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Impossible to enter certain Postcodes in TTM5 on SPV C500 Reply with quote

Hi, (first post here but been lurking for ages!)... Here goes...

Is it just me or is it simply IMPOSSIBLE to enter a Birmingham B8 xxx postcode into the C500 running TomTom?? Apologies if this "bug" has been covered elsewhere but I did a search and couldn't see anything.

I think it's to do with the processing power/speed of the C500 (or lack of it!) - but this little issue cost me an extra hour today trying to find an address! Just to expand a bit... The problem arises on the C500 because you have to use the keyboard to enter the postcode. As soon as you enter the first 'B' the subsequent '8' is impossible to enter as the interface won't allow you to get past the letter 'T' on the keyboard!!! Try it...

If anyone else is NOT having this issue I'd be interested to explore why mine might be exhibiting such infuriating behaviour! Equally if anyone knows a fix I'd be very grateful, not to mention less LATE for meetings in Brum in the future!

Regards,
Moz. :D
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very common (although I don't recall seeing any mention of it here?). Try BS8 2LG - whilst B and S are fine trying to get the 8 is a right pain!

For what it's worth, when I upgraded my C500 to the C600 (and v5.20) it got marginally worse...

With regards to the cause, I think you've hit the nail on the head regarding processing power. As you may or may not know the postcodes are stored in one massive file (~10MB) and so it has to trawl through this narrowing down available postcodes in response to user input. When you've got a shedload of potential matches (it doesn't surprise me we're talking Birmingham and Bristol here!) then it suffers...

I only find it's the odd one that suffers like this (inline with the criteria above) and some workarounds include either naviating to the address (by street) or even to the address using the 4-digit postcode match that is available - it stands to reason that this requires much less processor overhead.

I even tried a friend's 'branded' SD card in the expectation that my el-cheapo was to blame... No such luck (unless of course his is equally slow!).

Mathew

Mathew
kpat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i am using tomtom5 version 5.00 (4.180) on c500, and it does the postcodes you mention with no problem at all, the programme is on a 512MB sd card though , could that be your problem as i know the search needs to use a small bit of memory, if your on a 128MB card theres not much room left.
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know any memory it uses is that within the phone... (and I'm using the same 512MB card in both).

For what it's worth, my C500 was far far better in this respect than the C600 - it was still sluggish at trawling some of the bigger postcode-matches but still just within the timeout for character progression.

Mathew
pete75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a c600 with a 1gb mem card. Tried the BS postcode above without any probs.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to enter a number on the smartphone hold the 8 key down this will bring up the number the same a txting (<just 4 thos that h8 txt stuf Laughing )

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
MJN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not on the C600... Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: