Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Transferable/portable system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Transferable/portable system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Transferable/portable system Reply with quote

Hi

A Newbie question.

I am looking for a transferable Sat Nav system. I have a Palm T3 so it could use that if that were cheaper. But I wonder how audible it would be in the car.

If not using the PDA the unit would have to be easily portable as I would want to take it to the USA and Canada to use there.

Not essential but nice would be the ability to use it handheld, i.e. on foot in a city.

I believe that various other databases are downloadable for Tom Tom, which is why I am thinking of that first. I have good reports of Tom Tom. I would need maps of Europe and also of USA and Canada.

I would be prepared to buy a big memory card for whatever device I eventually buy, 1 gig if necessary! :-)

Speed camera database is a bonus!

I have tried searching around for the information but can never find it one place that fits all my questions - so I thought I would ask here!

Note: I currently have a Toyota with its own built in CD based system (TNS 200), which has its limitations, i.e. no additional information can be imported into it, and CDs for other countries are horrendously expensive. And it would be no use the other side of the Atlantic, as the car would be still at home!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Mapopolis and TomTom run well on the T3. TomTom is a tad more user friendly. Mapopolis is cheaper and has the better maps (depends on the state though). Do you already have a Bluetooth GPS receiver?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Panet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply - although there is a time zone difference! Smile

Quote:
Do you already have a Bluetooth GPS receiver?

I don't think so. The T3 is Bluetooth capable of course. I use Bluetooth in my car with my Nokia phone for hands free use. I have never thought of using the Nokia earpiece with the PDA though, never needed to. Is that what you mean?

States: Ontario, Canada and Ohio USA. maybe neighbouring states in the USA.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking GPS receiver, not handsfree. How did you plan to get your current position into the T3?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A BT GPS is the cheapest (less than $100) option for use with T3.

Otherwise, if you ever think of migrating to a PPC, a PDA with built in GPS (more and more emerging now) is best option though cost a LITTLE more.
Panet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
I am talking GPS receiver, not handsfree. How did you plan to get your current position into the T3?

Ah, I see what you mean. No, I don't have one - I assumed that would come with the kit.

I did say Newbie! Smile
Panet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pc-Mobile wrote:
A BT GPS is the cheapest (less than $100) option for use with T3.

Is that BT as in British Telecomm? Does that system fit my other needs as in the OP?

Quote:
Otherwise, if you ever think of migrating to a PPC, a PDA with built in GPS (more and more emerging now) is best option though cost a LITTLE more.

Interesting thought. I'm happy with the T3, but would consider an upgrade (I'm sure my son would love the T3!!). Do you have any recoomendations for a PDA with GPS? I assume one can load whichever system you want onto it, eg Tom Tom etc.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT as in Bluetooth. A Globalsat 338 for example (try Google)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order for you to understand the answers you have got basically for sat nav you need three things. An active GPS aerial to pick up the signal (the BT device Lutz mentions), an electronic gizmo (like a PDA for example) and some software to put on the electronic gizmo. Your Palm can be the electronic gizmo. You will then need some software, like Tom Tom Navidator and a sat nav receiver. Nowadays most receivers communicate with the PDA using wireless Bluetooth technology (BT)

Most BT receivers have a rechargeable battery in them so they can be used outside of the car, for walking etc. But be aware that software like TT is only any good for walking in cities. Cross country walking needs different and more detailed maps.

Alternatively you can buy a dedicated sat nav unit (like Tom Tom Go) which combines all three elements in one unit.

For your camera database you can do no better than the one on this site. It is free at the moment but very soon it will be charged at £2 per month or £19 for a year.

Hope that helps a bit
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Panet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the full reply. My Newbie status here showing for all to see!! :-)

It was walking in a city I was thinking about. I have done enough fell walking in my time to realise that street maps would not be a lot of use. :-)

It seems I can either:

1. Buy an antenna and software for the T3 - I an concerned about hearing it though in the car.
    2. Buy a new PDA with built in GPS (son gets T3) but does this restrict the make of software one buys? As the PDA comes with GPS I would assume / hope that audibility would not be a problem... I would also like to stay with Palm, I'm used to them.
    3. Buy a dedicated unit such as the Tom Tom Go mentioned. How portable is this, e.g. taking it to use in a hire car in USA etc. and perhaps - not essential - for very occasional use city walking?

The European, Canadian and US maps would need to be available for the chosen option.

Sorry to keep asking but my only experience of Sat Nav so far has been the built in TNS 200, which is unlike any of the systems being discussed here. I just hope others are finding this discussion useful. Perhaps it should be made 'sticky'. :-)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panet wrote:
As the PDA comes with GPS I would assume / hope that audibility would not be a problem...

Your assumption here is unfounded. The audibility is not at all related to the fact if a GPS receiver is built into the PDA or not. It is solely a question of the speaker design of that particular PDA.

My T3 is loud enough for my requirements. But if you need it louder you could also plug it into the car stereo (with the appropriate adapter)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: