Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS photography query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS photography query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyeverywhere
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: GPS photography query Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone help me out here? I want to GPS control a cam corder such that it takes a picture every ten metres in a moving car..
Has anyone ideas on how to do this?
So far, I worked out that most of the action would take place on a computer running some kind of software such as Labview or Python. But does anyone have an idea which GPS and Camcorders could be used?

Any assistance appreciated

Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the camcorder will be connected to a PC then I would guess that the software could control the camera via Firewire or LANC?

Pretty much any NMEA standard GPS will suffice, but I'd guess either a GPS Mouse or a Bluetooth GPS would be best.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking at using Labview you could program the application to run on a PDA with the correct software module, but it costs a fair bit, some educational establishments have the full application for student use, then for communication to trigger the camcorder use the IrDA if the camera supports this (my Cannon Camcorder does and Labview can record/ re-play the IrDA signal at will from the PDA, I actually use it for comms to and from generators). Watch the serial port reader in Labview relative to the GPS side of things as it can easily overfill the buffer leading to the position reported lagging the true position, I found this when I programed a simple NMEA parse in Labview for my XDA - Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS photography query Reply with quote

andyeverywhere wrote:
Hi

Can anyone help me out here? I want to GPS control a cam corder such that it takes a picture every ten metres in a moving car..
So far, I worked out that most of the action would take place on a computer running some kind of software such as Labview or Python. But does anyone have an idea which GPS and Camcorders could be used?

Any assistance appreciated

Andy

Could you not use the time lapse feature on your camcorder Exclamation
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things strike me. How accurate will your 10m be, when most consumer GPS receivers have a tolerence of several meters? My camcorder has a several second delay when hitting the capture button so how will this figure? If accuracy is not essential why not just run the camcorder continually then cut out frames with your movie editor software later?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: GPS photography query Reply with quote

andyeverywhere wrote:

Welcome

Hmm, it's kind of tricky. The problem is that a GPS unit will only update your position every second. 10 meters per second is only about 22 mph so you couldn't really rely on the position information from the GPS to trigger the shutter.

You could use the speed info (updated every second) to tell the camera to take the correct number of frames per second based on your speed. ie 22 mph = 1 fps, 66 mph = 3 fps etc. Be aware that at a constant speed you will get reasonably accurate spacing between the frames but if your speed is changing rapidly then the GPS speed can lag behind reality and you will get distortions.

You could get a laptop with a firewire interface and try and find some software to control it. Alternatively you could record at 25 fps and sync your laptop's time to the GPS then log the GPS NMEA data so you could post process the data and figure out how many frames to drop to get one every 10 meters.

You might also be able to get a cheap usb camera for about £20 and try and write some code or find a library to capture the frames for you. Watch out because some of the cameras are quite slow to capture a picture but provided you are travelling at less than 90 mph you shouldn't have to capture more than 4 fps.

Sounds like an interesting problem, can you tell us more!

Good luck!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also have a look at Matlab. It's been around for years and is widely used by the scientific community but I don't know too much about it.

Also have a look at gphoto2 http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/ref-gphoto2-cli.html which might do the trick.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to ask yourself why do you need a GPS.

If you want also to recod the co-ordinate of where the picture is, that is OK.

If you merely want to take a picture every 10 metres or so from where you are, then there is no need for a GPS. A camera link to a PC (like USB camera) and to the speedometer with suitable sofware would be more appropriate.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: