Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio A201 problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio A201 problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveJay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Mio A201 problems Reply with quote

Hi this is my first post so apologies if I am in the wrong place. I am about to buy a Mio A201 but hear there are problems loading TomTom. I will buy the GB version first which comes on a card ready to run I believe from the adverts. But later I will update to the Europe version. Will I be able to load the Europe maps or is there a special way of doing it which I will not be privy to.
Is there an upgrade from GB to Europe or will the cost of GB be wasted. I will be buying two A201's one for me one for the wife to use as pda's is the software locked to the PDA or can we just swap the card?
Thanks for any help.
Steve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
You should be OK with the MIO A201 I have two just like you.

BUT

Please check this site out
http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/forum/forum2.html&topicdays=0&start=50

Look for MIO A201 TT5 - Bill Jan 17 - I have 11 responces - my name on this site is Bill.

Points to note - You must follow the advise to the letter -
If possible try and purchase your MIO with a 1 GB SD CARD the as is will only run the UK maps and thats it. I had to have two upgrades cost around £36.00 each for the SD card.

The free speed camera DB is fair but with luck it will over time be a lot better.

At present I only have the UK map installed so no advise on others -

All the very best - Just make sure you follow the good advise.

Regards
SteveJay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Mio A201 problems Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, as you say I will follow the instructions to th letter when I get my units in a couple of days.
Once again thanks for the advise, I will let you know how I get on.
Steve Wink
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be issues with the PDA's running tomtom 5, the PDA for some reason changes the device code everytime you install tomtom which means you only get 2 chances to install tomtom as the key will lock you out.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevenGourlay wrote:
There seems to be issues with the PDA's running tomtom 5, the PDA for some reason changes the device code everytime you install tomtom which means you only get 2 chances to install tomtom as the key will lock you out.

I don't think that is an "issue" in the sense of being a bug. It is Tom Tom's way of trying to protect their software from illegal use isn't it?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
SteveJay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a bug when the PDA changes it's identity because if you buy the software you are entitled to install it as many times as you wish on the same machine. In fact if you upgrade your PDA then you should be able to move the software to another machine which I presume is why TomTom has allowed instalation on two PDA's.
I think Mio should address the problem and supply a firmware fix.
Regards,
Steve
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveJay wrote:
I think it is a bug when the PDA changes it's identity because if you buy the software you are entitled to install it as many times as you wish on the same machine. In fact if you upgrade your PDA then you should be able to move the software to another machine which I presume is why TomTom has allowed instalation on two PDA's.
Regards,
Steve

You are correct, the device code should only change if you change the motherboard in the machine, or change the PDA. If you install the software onto a a201 then go to install again the same day you will get a different device code which tomtom thinks is a different PDA.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveJay wrote:
Regards,
Steve

What you are entitled to do and not do will depend upon the terms of the software licence contract that you agreed to before you first installed TT - you did read it all didn't you 8O (I didn't) As with nearly all software you are not buying the software itself, you are merely purchasing a licence to use it, and such licence is subject to whatever restrictions are in its terms. As I understand it TT's licence entitles you to 2 instals within a week and then an additional instal every 6 months. That is immaterial as to which machine it is on AFAIK.

AFAIK this is nothing to do with Mio - it is a TT policy and part of their licence terms. As StevenGourlay said in his first post it applies to all PDAs running TT5

Whether or not you like TT's policy or the way that they apply it is a different matter - but it is not a "bug" in the accepted sense of the word - no more than the fact that you can only use Windows XP Pro on the one machine it is registered to is a "bug". It is deliberate a restriction on use, which I guess Mio can do little about (other than not installing TT products).
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
SteveJay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Whether or not you like TT's policy or the way that they apply it is a different matter - but it is not a "bug" in the accepted sense of the word - no more than the fact that you can only use Windows XP Pro on the one machine it is registered to is a "bug". It is deliberate a restriction on use, which I guess Mio can do little about (other than not installing TT products).

I understand what you are saying and yes TomTom have a right to protect their software how they like which you accept when you agree to install it or send it back( after reading it all of course Wink.

The issue seems to be that the Mio does not behave as machines should. It's identity should stay the same not change. This I think is a bug in the Mio which should be addressed.
It is clearly ridiculous for any product to change it's identity. Modern software and perhaps Blue Tooth products may well need a stable identity for the users security.

Do you remember when it was a Pub joke to take over a bluetooth phone across the other side of the bar? Phones are now able to hide themselves so it can't happen.
A stable identity in the Mio may be very important in the future.

That's my two pennyworth perhaps Mio will think about it perhaps not. It would be good if they could read this thread and explain why they have made the A201 change it's identity, it may be for a very good reason.

Any way I am sitting here waiting for two A201's to arrive. I hope I like them when they do and do not have any issue with the problems we are debating here.

Regards,

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: