Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I put a power socket behind the dash?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I put a power socket behind the dash?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: How do I put a power socket behind the dash? Reply with quote

I've been to Maplins to get a new car power socket (female) and some 10 amp wire. I want to connect it up behind the dash and plug my TTG500 in using the included TTG car charger.

From what I've read here, so long as I use the original TTG charger there is no chance of frying the TTG because it will regulate the voltage correctly. If I'm wrong on that please let me know asap Smile

I want to connect the new socket to a live that's switched by the ignition. Can I connect the wires in to those used by my Pioneer car stereo or will that draw too much current? Having read the forum I've seen suggestions about connecting the live up to a spare fuse in the fuse box but that sounds much more complicated than tapping in to the back of my stereo so I thought it was worth asking the question.

If I *do* have to wire it in to the fuse box is it just a case of attaching the red wire in some way to one of the spade connectors on the fuse and then pushing it in? And what fuse rating should I use?

All advice much appreciated.

(p.s. Do I get a special award from AndyP 'cos I'm a newbie who used the search function before posting :D )
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wishing to sound patronising, but the sockets you are talking about can carry quite a bit of current, and if wired incorrectly can be dangerous.

I really think that this is possibly a situation where if you have to ask how to wire it up, then you should be getting someone to do it for you.
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do like to live dangerously so if someone can give me some pointers I'd appreciate it. If it's just a case of using the right thickness wire, the right fuse and connecting it up to the right place that surely cannot be that hard can it?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you ever want to power is a sat nav from this additional socket you will be OK running it from the stereo supply, just make sure you get the correct wire, quite often there is a permanent Live as well as the switched (ign switch fed) supply. If you go for a spare fuse option put a two or three amp fuse in as that will be more than adequate for sat nav. If you have an existing cig lighter socket in the car, splice the wires to the back of the existing unit, that way the new wires will be protected by the existing fuse, hope this helps - Mike
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I'll try it from the stereo then. My existing socket is permanently live so I don't want to use that.
pip510
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you get on Jlee
Thanks

Let's Be Safe Out There
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Love it Welcome
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed behind the dash and connected to my stereo. Took only 20 mins and works perfectly. Thanks for the advice.
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a socket from Maplin and conected it to the cigarette lighter, on the basis that that is where it would be powered from anyway. This way you can tuck the cable away in the door seal nad keep it neat.

This way it won't be affected by voltage drop on the stereo connection (I've had problems with mobile phones so connected in the past).

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: