Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin iQue 3600 newbie, help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin iQue 3600 newbie, help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
precognito
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Garmin iQue 3600 newbie, help! Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I just purchased a new Garmin iQue 3600 and will be synching it to a new PowerMac Quad next week. I have performed a number of web searches to determine how best to make the necessary cross platform install, but I have found that much of the information seems dated, leaving me a bit of a puzzle to solve. Any help would be appreciated.

First, I will install maps on a 2 gig San Disk Ultra II SD card (price only $79, wow!). I have access to a PC for necessary map installation and have a compatible card reader.

Online install instructions refer to Palm Desktop 4.1 install and the on the Garmin site the supported version for Mac synching seems to be 4.1, yet the unit ships with Palm OS 5.

As I understand it, the Mac workaround goes as follows:
1. Garmin directly supports Mac syncs for basic applications.
2. Download latest MapQuest update. Unit came with version 7.0 DVD for maps.
3. On PC, install MapQuest software up to point of sync. Copy file to flash drive and drop file into "Hotsync download install handheld file" on Mac. Sync.
4. Using PC, install maps on SD card.
5. Update MapQuest software to 7.0.
6. Using PC, install maps on SD card.

Garmin told me that a total Mac install package is in the works, but won't be ready until the end of the year. In the meantime, I could use some help in making this installation. I decided to install the US maps on one SD card to avoid having to track down a PC to install additional maps. Will having all the maps loaded on the card slow performance in accessing local maps used most frequently? Do I need Missing Sync? Any better source of information?

Thanks,
Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: