Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSMAP 60C 4.05 Beta Firmware upgrade?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSMAP 60C 4.05 Beta Firmware upgrade?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: GPSMAP 60C 4.05 Beta Firmware upgrade? Reply with quote

Hi folks!

New here. Great forum. Tons of great information.

My question concerns a firmware update to the GPSMap 60C. Here is the page showing the update: http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1215

This is billed as a "Beta".

Has anyone tried it out? If so, how well does it work? I am somewhat cautous about updating my firmware since rolling back to the prior version doesn't seem to be an option (please correct me if I am wrong).

All thoughts and comments appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and Welcome

You can rollback the firmware but you will lose your settings and waypoints/routes/tracks/maps every time so make sure you have backed them up first.

I tried some of the beta firmwares on my old GPS-V, but to be honest, unless you are having trouble with the firmware you are running then there isn't much need to update it to one of the betas.

If you do update the firmware, make sure the batteries are fully charged before you begin. If the update fails then you have to send the unit back to Garmin to get fixed.

Good luck!
Emoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Skippy!

In looking at my Mapsource help and the 60C manual, there doesn't seem to be anything about performing an upgrade or rollback. Where did you manage to find the info?

Thanks again,

Bob
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emoto wrote:
In looking at my Mapsource help and the 60C manual, there doesn't seem to be anything about performing an upgrade or rollback. Where did you manage to find the info?

When you download the new firmware, you get a copy of the program to install it too. I can't remember the exact procedure - it kind of comes as second nature because I have been upgrading the firmware in various devices as part of my job for the past 20 years. Embarassed

When we talk about a roll back, remember that may not actually be able to roll back to the original firmware in your device. You can only install another version from the Garmin website.

So if your device has version 3.80 and you install 4.05 beta then decided to roll it back, you will have to upload another firmware to roll it back which would mean installing 4.00 because 3.80 firmwares aren't available for download.

There is also a webupdater which does the download and install automatically I think, though I have not used it.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh, and Welcome by the way!
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GPSMAP 60C 4.05 Beta Firmware upgrade? Reply with quote

Emoto wrote:
Hi folks!

New here. Great forum. Tons of great information.

My question concerns a firmware update to the GPSMap 60C. Here is the page showing the update: http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=1215

This is billed as a "Beta".

Has anyone tried it out? If so, how well does it work? I am somewhat cautous about updating my firmware since rolling back to the prior version doesn't seem to be an option (please correct me if I am wrong).

All thoughts and comments appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob

I have rolled back the firm ware on my etrex from 2.11 (so I don't see why it won't work with the 60c's )as I have all the previous versions saved .I have not updated to 2.14 as the unit will not accept any further mods if this is installed. I also have 3.90 and 4.0 for the gpsmap 60c although the later is probably still available from Garmin so if any one needs previous firmware let me know.While on the subject of the 60c,do any owners have problems with the course pointer in the compass dial as in certain directions mine is split into 3 pieces
Cheers
Dave
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GPSMAP 60C 4.05 Beta Firmware upgrade? Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
do any owners have problems with the course pointer in the compass dial as in certain directions mine is split into 3 pieces

That is a featue, not a bug. Laughing

Imagine you are in a plane flying from A to B with a cross wind. Although you are still heading towards your waypoint, the crosswinds is going to blow you off the straight line course and potentially into an area you don't want to enter.

This is called cross-track error and I that is why you see a broken line in the compass.

I think there are also fields for course to steer which will correct the xtrack error.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks skippy,it looks like I have some readiing to do!

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: