Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ICN510 POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ICN510 POIs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adethefade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: ICN510 POIs Reply with quote

I've owned my ICN510 for about 9 months and it's pretty good - I've just updated the software.......but I've also just loaded some 'speed zoned' speed camera files to my POIs and it seems that a maximum of only 25 'Active' POIs are allowed.

Am I right in assuming that only active POIs will give audio and visual warning? If so, can I set them to warn me only when the POI is on-route? as opposed to anywhere in the area. If I'm right about the active POIs, then 25 really isn't enough.

I've recently loaded Tom Tom onto my mobile phone and I have to say that the software is much much better...for example, what on earth is Navmans problem with a full postcode search? It's on the Tom Tom system, and works faultlessly.

Ade
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: ICN510 POIs Reply with quote

adethefade wrote:
I've owned my ICN510 for about 9 months and it's pretty good - I've just updated the software.......but I've also just loaded some 'speed zoned' speed camera files to my POIs and it seems that a maximum of only 25 'Active' POIs are allowed.

Am I right in assuming that only active POIs will give audio and visual warning? If so, can I set them to warn me only when the POI is on-route? as opposed to anywhere in the area. If I'm right about the active POIs, then 25 really isn't enough.

I've recently loaded Tom Tom onto my mobile phone and I have to say that the software is much much better...for example, what on earth is Navmans problem with a full postcode search? It's on the Tom Tom system, and works faultlessly.

Ade

Try reading the thread initiated by Turbo1 lower down in this Forum. You will see that it is possible to load far more than 25 POIs despite what Navman says in the Manual Exclamation Mind you, I've not tried it, so its seems you could try and see what happens Wink
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: ICN510 POIs Reply with quote

adethefade wrote:
I've owned my ICN510 for about 9 months and it's pretty good - I've just updated the software ........................

Ade

Navman say

Quote:
Navman’s SmartST™ 2005 advanced navigation software provides a range of user-friendly features, such as turn-by-turn voice-guided directions, Back-on-Track™ rerouting, 2D and 3D map views, postcode search, specified areas to avoid and various points of interest en- route.

but you say there is still no postcode search, despite having just updated the software Exclamation Is that right Question as I was about to buy and upgrade to take advantage of this enhanced feature.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gee Pee
You will find postcode Bar here:
Main Menu / Go To / Address or POI. At this point have the United Kingdom showing at the top or Change Country. You will find postcode 3rd bar down labelled Find Post Code.
If you thinking about up grading go for it, it’s a lot more user friendly than V3.
Read my other post’s to see my observation of V3.5
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
adethefade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chaps,

I wasn't inferring that the ICN510 doesn't have a postcode search facility - but it is quite primitive compared to for example the Tom Tom system. You'll only get as far as five characters (eg SA11 3) you then have to search for the street name..and incidentally with my home address, my street name is not then listed in the search!

This is no hardship - I can work around it, I simply wonder why Navman can't include a full postcode search like other systems.

As far as active POIs are concerned, if you want to 'speed zone' cameras then 25 active POIs simply isn't enough.

I'll check out the other thread though to see if I can get some more on.

Ade
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll see my experince in the thread that GeePee refers to. I might point out that I wasn't even aware of the limit of 25 POI's until I read about it after I had loaded over 30!

Also, I think you've misunderstood about the POI's. The speed camera files list thousands of cameras, but each 'list' is only one POI, so in fact there are thousands of POI's but supposedly only 25 separate files that you can list them under.
adethefade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you obviously accept that the postcode search is pretty basic - thanks.

I fully understand that one POI file can list lots of cameras, what you have clearly failed to understand is that (and I repeat myself) if you want to 'speed-zone' cameras and hence use considerably more files, then 25 is not adequate.

I have three pages of files including all the speed-zoned Gatsos Temps etc. and I cannot activate them all as 'active' POIs due to the constraints of the software.

Also, as I originally pointed out, I would like to be able to get warnings only when these POIs are en-route.

I'm sorry if you find this 'constructive' criticism offensive but taking such points on board usually leads to the development of more useful software.

Ade
adethefade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for that last post guys, I think I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought I was getting a 'there can't be anything wring with our software' from Navman.

Please accept my apologies for being rude

Ade
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adethefade wrote:
Sorry for that last post guys, I think I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought I was getting a 'there can't be anything wring with our software' from Navman.
Please accept my apologies for being rude
Ade

Hi Ade It would be helpful if when you post a response, you quote the post that you are referring to Smile . The reason is that not every post is sequential and poor blokes like me find it difficult follow which response refers to which Exclamation You can always edit the quote to make it smaller but still give an idea where we are in the thread. Thanks Wink
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ignore the tone of the earlier response and repeat MYSELF again:

"You'll see my experince in the thread that GeePee refers to. I might point out that I wasn't even aware of the limit of 25 POI's until I read about it after I had loaded over 30! "

This refers to GeePee's earlier response thus:

"Try reading the thread initiated by Turbo1 lower down in this Forum. You will see that it is possible to load far more than 25 POIs despite what Navman says in the Manual Mind you, I've not tried it, so its seems you could try and see what happens "

Try and add more than 25 and see what happens - you have nothing to lose.
Merlin42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: New Boy Needs Help Reply with quote

Hi All
I have only just got my Navman 510 Ver 3.
I cant work out why My POI import will ony show 50 Items of a 205 Item Csv file. In exel they are all showing, if not in alphabetical order, but when I transfer them to the unit, the file gets truncated to 50 items.
I have used the SmartST software to transfer them from PC but it dosent seem to work

Any Suggestions please Sad
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will all be there. It's one of the bugs with the system that it only shows the first 50 or so. If you search for one that's not shown, it should appear as a destination.
Merlin42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
I have tried the POI and your right they are all there, Why is it that we only get to discover the short comeings of Gadgets after we by them, if I bought any other product, we would take it back with as many short comeings as these things have, it always seems to be software that gets released with no come backs.

If you have the time could you tell me how to utilise the flash drive ,ie but maps onit ,instead of the SD card

thanks again
:D
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't possible to put maps into the internal memory of the 510/520 devices.
Merlin42
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Advice Please Reply with quote

Can any one please recomend a good SD card as I have been told that my Navman 510 will only take certain cards, ie: Hi speed only is this true Question

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: