Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - stopped getting 'gps signal' with MDPPC150 from Somerfield
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

stopped getting 'gps signal' with MDPPC150 from Somerfield

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gacombe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: stopped getting 'gps signal' with MDPPC150 from Somerfield Reply with quote

I installed TomTom5 on my MDPPC150 and it worked once I installed the fix thats mentioned near the beginning of this thread called 'cemonitor' (but it was a bit temperamental sometimes). However recently I have been getting "No GPS Signal" making the thing useless.

Ive done everything to overcome this - checked my settings (all correct), reset the damned thing several times (using switch on the back and the one on the side), run 'cemonitor' (and got a reading with this), laid the thing out in the middle of my garden for 10/20/30/40 minutes etc., several times with antennae open, set the NMEA command to 1,1,2,2,5,0,5,0,1,0, (as recommended).

What do I do? What can I do? Ive considered forgetting the TomTom5 software and going back to the original (?medion) software but I need the 7 digit postcode recognition that TomTom offers and anyway I dont feel that this is necessarily the problem. Help me please
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try rolling the device back to the OEM state and prove that the hardware is actually working correctly, at least with a level playing field you know what you are dealing with, if it doesn't work like this then take it back for a repair - Mike
Gacombe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is "OEM state" and how do I get back to this?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original Equipment (as) Manufactured - i.e. put it back to how it was when you bought it and try to establish it works in this set-up, this way you eliminate the hardware from the potential causes of faults - Mike
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gacombe,

You are setting TomTom up to use 'Other Cable NMEA GPS', 'GPS Baud Rate' at 4800 and 'Serial Cable on SP2:' aren't you ?

You should then see the sectored circle on the GPS Status display rotating.

Then just wait (at least 20 minutes) with the GPS with a good view of the sky, until it gets a 'lock'

If the sectored circle is not rotating, try the other 'Serial' ports in turn, leaving the other settings alone.

If none of them work, there's a possibility that using 'CEMonitor' has left the GPS in a peculiar state.

(I normally use 'Winfast Navigator', which bears an uncanny resemblance to 'CEMonitor', even down to the incorrect spelling of 'Singal Level', rather then 'Signal Level !)

Anyhow, for 'CEMonitor', follow the directions in the 'General' section of the FAQs at http://www.pocketmap.com/accessories/troubleshooting.html to reset the GPS receiver.

Check that it then works at the correct settings in CEMonitor, then you'll have to re-apply the GLL and MSS 'messages' settings, so TomTom will show the number of satellites, etc.

As an aside, I'm stunned by the sensitivity of the latest generation of GPS 'kit'.

My Micromaxx MDPPC150 (MIO 168 clone) is sat on my computer desk showing a GPS lock using 7 out of the 11 available satellites.

The room is on the upper floor of my house, the nearest window (about 1.5m square) is about 4 metres away, otherwise the satellite reception is through standard UK breezeblock/brick walls or a standard tile roof, complete with foil/plastic heat/rain weather-proofing.

I was totally amazed to get a 'lock', when I first switched on the unit indoors !

Philip
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As philip4242 says

Quote:
You are setting TomTom up to use 'Other Cable NMEA GPS', 'GPS Baud Rate' at 4800 and 'Serial Cable on SP2:' aren't you ?

Later Mio168's work at 9600 Baud.

You may find TomTom Cable GPS setting may work for you.
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Later Mio168's work at 9600 Baud. '

That might well explain why a recommendation I'd read elsewhere to use 'TomTom Cable GPS setting' (where you don't get offered to set the Baud rate) DIDN'T work for me !

I just made the rash assumption that all NMEA GPS receivers worked at 4800 Baud, although I know that the 'standard' Baud rate under the SIRF protocol is much higher.

Since the amount of data to be transferred is relatively small and is 'bursty', I would have thought 4800 Baud would be plenty fast and robust enough.

Philip
Gacombe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the advice Phillip....but still not having any success. I do appear to be running 'Winfast Navigator' but it is in a folder called 'CE Monitor'!!

Anyway, I am getting a reading/fix with 'Winfast Navigator' (at least 5 satelllites) but when I open up TomTom I am getting "No GPS device". and when I checkout the 'GPS Status' (greenish screen with NSEW) I get the same message. I can leave it like this for 30 minutes and nothing else happens.The GLL and MSS 'messages' settings are both 2 by the way.

Not sure where to go from here. More advice/help sought.
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would try removing winfast from your machine and try tt5 again on its own.if it works but does not show signal strenght try the r3 firmware update
Gacombe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do i find this 'r3 firmware update' ?
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gacombe try here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=34420
Gacombe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i would try removing winfast from your machine and try tt5 again on its own.if it works but does not show signal strenght try the r3 firmware update

Have removed Winfast and GPS is now working again!! Dabut, do you think I should install the r3 update?
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the sat signal strenght showing and blue sats in gps view then upgrade is not needed
Gacombe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Dabut. Ive go the blue satellite signals working so I wont go for the update.
Baffled
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still confused.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: