Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN 5.21 does it stand for Tardis Teleport Navigation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN 5.21 does it stand for Tardis Teleport Navigation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_field
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: TTN 5.21 does it stand for Tardis Teleport Navigation Reply with quote

Dear Tomtom developers,

May I take this opportunity to congratulate you on your new pocket pc navigation system.

I am most impressed with the new drive you have fitted that enables me to teleport from one part of the country to another without having to drive anywhere.

Let me take you through a couple of examples so that the rest of your user base can cut their travel times by using this new feature.

Driving home up the M40 last night, around Jn8, I suddenly found that these weary 37 year old eyes were lying to me, and in fact I had moved in the blink of an eye to Bicester North railway station. Now at first I thought I must be imagining things as I was sure that the vehicle speedo (a Smart ForTwo - with very accurate drive by wire control systems) said I was doing 70mph, a very dangerous speed to be driving around a station car park, but your product insisted I was there, so I must have been wrong.

Imagine then my suprise when two minutes later, I found myself back on the M40, having not had to buy a parking ticket, and this time heading south, not North to my home in Stratford.

Perhaps I was dreaming, you know how these long motorway journeys can mess with your senses.

Anyway, off to look at a new house in Lighthorne, I was directed off the motorway at Gaydon, only to suddenly find that there were no roads on your display, and I must have been driving through a field (explains the mud on the side of the car I guess). Found the house in the end by relying on that good old fall back, the AA road map of Gt Britain.

House was not much good, so put in new destination of my current abode, only to find that there were no roads at all between Lighthorne and Stratford, so back to the old map. This I thought was strange, as the Fosse way bisected my route, and that road is nearly 2000 years old.

Anyway, I digress.

Up this morning for my drive back down to sunny Essex, only to find once again, around the middle section of the M40, I'm teleported onto the M25 - FANTASTIC! I thought, except that it looked much like junction 7 M40 to me.

Not to be put off, I assumed that there must be some sort of tear in the fabric of time around Oxford (I will be writing to the Royal Society later regarding this matter), but it also appears there are holes around jn27 M25, jn 19 M25, most of Warwickshire and a bit of Essex.

This I can only put down to TTN5 teleport drive, as my previous TTN2 and TTN3 were fine apart from a couple of map issues, (Haltwhistle bypass - at least 8 years old to my knowledge, and a section of trunk road around Swindon) I have never had any real problems.

Of course the alternative answer which I'm sure is wrong is that TTN5.21 is a complete parcel of manure.

Lets examine the evidence.

1. Software - if it had not been for pocketgps forum, I would not have known that the only way to install a map was to actually copy the map cd to my hard drive. Where are the instructions for this

2. Map CD's - no annotation on any of the CD's 1 to 6 to show what country is on each one

3. Documentation - great at telling you how to use the product, woefully lacking at telling you how to install it

4. Configuration - lots of bells and whistles, but where have all the usefull things like being able to adjust speed settings for various roads?

5. Live updates to 2D and 3D position - driving at night, esp in countryside TTN3 would update around every two seconds making the jouney safer as you were aware of nasty bends etc. It appears TTN5 must wait at least 6 seconds before updating, therefore removing this feature.

6. Status bar - this is the only accurate part of the navigator. If I drive by this, I have a 70% chance of actually getting my exit junction, whilst using the 2D display, its rather hit and miss.

7. Entering addresses etc. Grrrrr, this is a pain as cursor does not always move forward, and its veeeeeryyyyy sssllllloooooooowwwww

One could argue that the HP 5450 is too old, but I would argue that a 3 year old at the time top end PPC should be able to run your software without trouble (tried with no POI, and no other software running and its still awefull)

So, where does that leave me? Have you developed a superb bit of time saving kit, or as I am coming to see, I've bought a crock of sh1t?

Answers on a post card please
Apple iPhone 3GS with Memory-Map and OS outdoors
Apple iPhone4 with TT 1.6 and loads of other GPS goodies
matt_field
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to the above, I was looking to buy the TT5 bike kit, but seeing as how bad my experiences with the PPC version have been are then I will be looking at another product.

Shame as TTN3 was a superb bit of kit that just needed a few minor tweaks to make it truly outstanding.

Wasted opportunity Tomtom to stay market leaders, as it appears from reading other threads here that I am not alone in the conclusions I have drawn
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what can one say after reading your thesis on Time Travel. I use TT5 every day for work (Courier) and I thought I knew most of the answers but after reading your article I’m at a loss for words. A stiff brandy is called for.
TT5 works perfectly on my Ipaq 2210 and BT338 GPS receiver and I have never ran into the problems that you have described. I have had one or two glitches over the last six months but nothing that has ever caused me hassle. Usually it goes like clockwork. For instance, my last journey yesterday was to make a delivery to 93 Ridgmont, Deanshanger, Milton Keynes MK19 6JJ. I was near the Seven Bridge when I entered the Post Code into the TT5 program, followed by the house number. It was pitch dark and raining and the journey was unpleasant but TT5 got me all the way to the destination without a hitch and stopped me outside No 93 (not 95 or 91). That’s what I thought it was supposed to do. However, my journey certainly lacked the exciting points that you experienced and I intend to contact Tomtom to see if I can install the teleport option too. Beam me up Scottie.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
matt_field
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was relying on the teleport option to cut out the bit bitween jn7 m40 and m25 as its always a bit snarled up, but it let me down this morning ;)

Just tried to register my thoughts with Tomtom, but it seems that you have to send a letter (how quaint) rather than email them...
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this: http://tinyurl.com/89b2d
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too do not have the teleport option. Rather boringly my TT works every time and always gets me to where I want using old fashioned vehicle power.

Your point number 5 may give us a clue as to your problem. Are you saying that your display is very jerky and only updates every 6 seconds? If so that is a classic symptom of lack of memory. TT5 is memory hungry when compared with its predecessors. Even the 2 secs update you report with TT3 is jerky and is a sympton of low memory. If you have POIs showing then you could try hiding them as that will free up a lot of memory

On checking the TT site it also appears that the Ipaq 5450 is not listed by them as supporting TT5 - they only list the 5455 upwards. It may be because it does not have enough memory? Either way it is difficult to moan at TT too much if you are using TT5 with a PDA they say does not support it.
matt_field
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refer you to our very own Mr Mike Barret comment on

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-navigator-5.php

COMPATABLE PDA’s

TomTom Navigator 5 is compatible with the following models:

Compaq Ipaq 3870, 3970.

HP iPAQ hx2110, hx2410, hx2750, hx4700, rx3715, h6340, rz1710, rz3715, h1940, h1945, h2210, h2215, h4150, h4350, h5400, h5450, h5455, h5550, h5555, h6340

Which i used when updating.

From Tomtom

HP
iPAQ H1940, iPAQ H2210, iPAQ H2215, iPAQ H3970, iPAQ H4150, iPAQ H4350, iPAQ H5455, iPAQ H5550, iPAQ H5555, iPAQ H6340, IPAQ HX2110, iPAQ HX2190, IPAQ HX2410, iPAQ HX2490, IPAQ HX2750, iPAQ HX2790, iPAQ HX4700, iPAQ RX3715

From HP forum

"The 5450 and 5455 have different model numbers because HP uses different model numbers to track sales in consumer vs. business channels"

So both models are the same, both with 64Mb ram, although on running TTN5.21 I see that I have 21Mb free when the app is running.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not TomTom, there is something seriously wrong with your system.

I was running on a 2210, which is similar spec and it would scroll very smoothly, so much that you can't see how often it updates, certainly not every 6 seconds. As others have said TT3 updated at least once a second too.

Perhaps you can try a better PocketPC or look at your memory usage before writing any more stupid letters to TomTom
Silav101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a different/faster SD-card, perhaps. If you say it jerks on Nav 3 already, Nav 5 is more demanding of your processor and SD-card data transfer rates.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very funny thread Matt.

MarkHewitt wrote..

Quote:
Perhaps you can try a better PocketPC or look at your memory usage before writing any more stupid letters to TomTom

A bit harsh Mark.

I think most of us have experienced moments when TT5 goes completely haywire. Mine does. On a 2 hour journey last weekend, I noticed the display go berserk on a least 4 occasions. I don't know how many times it happended when I was actually paying attention to the road ahead of me Laughing

You can see my set up below and I'm using the latest version of TT5. Who else experiences the same. If you NEVER have this problem then what set up are you using.

Others have said that they do not have the problem of losing GPS signal (and related map problems) since the latest patch, but I haven't noticed any difference.

Any suggestions....

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
matt_field
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:

I was running on a 2210, which is similar spec and it would scroll very smoothly, so much that you can't see how often it updates, certainly not every 6 seconds. As others have said TT3 updated at least once a second too.

The communication was with this forum, I have yet to write a sensible letter to Tomtom.

Thankyou for your sarcastic reply.
matt_field
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
As others have said TT3 updated at least once a second too.

To be honest, it probably was under one second, as I never really took much notice before.

Went out at lunch and was between 5 and 7 seconds per update.

Tried with no POI's, and no Checkpoint, and little difference.

My post was to do with more than just the fact that the unit is slow. I've been using military and civilian GPS for 15 years, and whilst TTN5 promises so much (yes, I do actually like it) from what I have seen in the 48 hours I've been using it it leaves something to be desired. In particular the issues re installing maps.

(This not helped by the way it was delivered. Paid the extra 20 quid for overnight, and when ANC delivered it, the box was smashed to bits, and the cd's (whilst not damaged) were scattered inside the packaging...)
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:

Very helpfull comment Mark

As Bazzer wrote

Bazzer wrote:
I think most of us have experienced moments when TT5 goes completely haywire. Mine does. On a 2 hour journey last weekend, I noticed the display go berserk on a least 4 occasions. I don't know how many times it happended when I was actually paying attention to the road ahead of me

There are many who have seen this, I know I do on many occasions, you just learn to live with it.

Go on Matt, write to Tom Tom, your letter wont be "stupid"
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, I think you have a number of things stacking up against you, the CF GPS unit is not a good combination with TT5, also the speed of your SD is probably an issue, 21MB should be fine though. The fastest positional update will not be quicker than 1 per second as defined by NMEA and the civil GPS, I have also noticed the wandering onto the fields twice today on the A14, this is probably a mapping error rather than the fault of TomTom, as for the new house, was it on anew road per chance, if so the road won't be on the map as yet - Mike
matt_field
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Matt, I think you have a number of things stacking up against you, the CF GPS unit is not a good combination with TT5, also the speed of your SD is probably an issue, 21MB should be fine though. The fastest positional update will not be quicker than 1 per second as defined by NMEA and the civil GPS, I have also noticed the wandering onto the fields twice today on the A14, this is probably a mapping error rather than the fault of TomTom, as for the new house, was it on anew road per chance, if so the road won't be on the map as yet - Mike

Right. That could explain things, although did seem relatively ok.

The house was on old airfield, and was actually found correclty in the map base via post code.

I've upped the slider to 30Mb, and got it to hold, so will try that later.

Tried to get hold on MakeOV2.exe but no longer listed on TT web site Sad

Will let you know how I get on :D

NB.

CF modem due to the serial port no longer working even though the unit has been to HP 3 times and they cannot find a fault

Maps wise, im not holding anything against TT, as they only get their data from Teleatlas

As a plus point, I've fianlly got the Traffic stuff working 8)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: