Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - File Error - VM3.x on IPAQ rz1710 - please help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

File Error - VM3.x on IPAQ rz1710 - please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john_1964
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: File Error - VM3.x on IPAQ rz1710 - please help! Reply with quote

I am running ViaMichelin v3 on an IPAQ rz1710 (bundled package). The software is loaded on a 128Mb SD card as supplied.

When I try to start the navigation software I get the following error:

ViaMichelin Navigation has detected the following error: "File Error". this is probably due to a lack of storage space - in that case free some more storage space; this could also be due to a problem on the disk.

the routine then ends.

I have performed several soft restes to ensure that nothing else is running and the only data which has been stored on the PDA has been outlook calender and contact details.

Has anybody had this error before - or does anybody know what I can do to resolve it?

thanks in advance.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
First of all, the memory on the 1710 is so small you cant realy put anything on it, and the ViaMitchelin needs some of it to run the program, so get as much as you can off the PDA, and onto a SD card. The ViaMitchelin program,maps etc are about 120mb, so you only have 8mb spare and the ViaMitchelin will use that space to calculate a route, If you wanted to go on a long journey, you will find that you will get an error, because there isn't enough space on the SD card, so the first thing you want to do, is buy a bigger SD card, and copy the ViaMitchelin onto it, then keep the original as a "Master copy", and run the Viamitchelin from your copy. I have a 256mb card, so have plenty of space for other things, and space for ViaMitchelin to calculate my route. If you want other maps France, Germany, etc, then get a 512mb, or bigger, its up to you. IF you go START/SETTINGS Then memory (I Think), you can change how much memory the PDA uses for storage, and how much to run programs, but with a bigger SD card you shouldn't need to alter that.
Secondly, make sure ALL running programs are off, use the little Icon on the bottom right to shut everything down, this applies when you switch the PDA off too, or the programs will drain the battery.
Finally, As from next month, you will have to pay for the speed camera database, so download it now, onto your PC, and get it on you PDA later.
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip, as you are using the 1710 bundle which is not exactly powerful, is to use the bundled 'HP Task Switch' to ensure that nothing is still running in the background (you'd be surprised!).

To do that, go to
Start| Programs| HP Task Switch
then click 'Close Window'. Click the other applications one by one then finally click HP Task Switch itself so that it closes itself down. That will ensure that the maximum possible processing power can go to the navigation programme.

Bear in mind that any tasks or reminders that you have in calendar or tasks will pop up while you are using VM which can be annoying. Check Tasks and Calendar before you set off and reschedule them if necessary. Do that BEFORE you do the HP Task Switch thing above.

And as Tanda says, get a bigger SD card.

I hope that made some sense ...
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Metro ace, The "HP Task Switch", isn't that the same thing as the icon on the bottom right (short cut), that I mentioned, or is this something else?
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little icon isn't always there. It comes and goes. The instructions I gave ensure that john_1964 will be able to do what we suggest whether or not the little icon is visible to him or not.

And of course, it is the last programme that should be shut down therefore closing itself and getting rid of the little icon.

Does it bug you as well that they sell HP sold a package with so little spare capacity? It bugs me!
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Metroace, I see what you mean about the Icon, but mine seems to be there all the time, unless I switch task switch off, I think there is an option to have the icon displayed or not, but mine seems to be there all the time.
Yes it does bug me that the 1710 has such a small memory, it is barley adequate to use as a satnav, and it wouldn't hurt ViaMitchelin to put the softwear on a bigger SD card, you can't plan a long route, or store many POI's, or the speed camera database without a bigger one. Apart from that, I am very happy with the 1710 and ViaMitchelin, and I don't seem to get these problems other people have been getting, its always taken me there and back without any problems, and the post code search is ok too, but other people can't get on with it.
Finally, can you e-mail me the speed camera database, Laughing Out Loud, only joking, just been reading one of your other threads Laughing Out Loud. :D
metroace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanda wrote:
Finally, can you e-mail me the speed camera database, Laughing Out Loud, only joking, just been reading one of your other threads Laughing Out Loud. :D

Yeah, RAOTFLMTO!

Postcode search works better on version 3 than on version 4. I'm waiting for VM to come up with a fix! Not holding my breath though!
john_1964
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

thanks everyone for the advice.
I am a bit p*ssed with HP for putting out a device with such little storage :x - I am getting a bigger SD card.

I managed to get it working again by deleteing a couple of files from the SD card - these seem to be personalisation files as I lost my saved places but that was a small price to pay for getting it going again.

for future reference the files deleted were in mapsonic maps folder on the SD card and were both called:
Great-britain.fdp

thanks once again Smile
northernlad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had the same problem with v4...wouldn't recognise my home postcode even tho the house is old.
I had all the above codes and then eventually my 1710 has locked up and been sent back to HP.
I've just had an email telling me the fault cant be fixed just now as HP have run out of parts and cant tell me when a new part will be in

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: