Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell Axim X51 and TomTom Bluetooth compat?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Axim X51 and TomTom Bluetooth compat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
converse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Dell Axim X51 and TomTom Bluetooth compat? Reply with quote

Hi all,

On the Tom Tom site, only the Dell Axim x50 and older models are listed compatible with the Tom Tom Bluetooth receiver.

Does anyone use, or know if, it is compatible with the newer X51 models running Windows Mobile 5 (all X51s have bluetooth built in) Thanks v much! Smile
converse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked with supplier... apparantely it isn't compat with any device running Windows Mobile 2005, and this includes the Axim X51, can't find any details on likely updates to Tom Tom for this, so may have to look at another PDA ...
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed WM 5 on my dell axim x50v today

then installed tomtom and its all working with no issues at all.

One thing that surprised me was that I managed to retain all favourites/recent destinations etc after the reinstall even though the pda was hard reset - I guess this info is held on the sd card.

I installed 5.1 via the 4 cab files - copied to the axim and then installed 1 by one then added Janes voice from the cd and reinstalled the revised data.chk file for gatso warnings.

Didn't even have to reactivate.

BT gps working as well or better than before - I have driven 100 miles this morning with tomtom and it worked without any issues.

HTH - plenty of users of x51v's are using tomtom without issues.

Ian
converse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian - much appreciated.

From my research it seems that i's ActiveSync 4 that is the compatiblity issue, rather than the actual WM 5 software - but that's just from users and suppliers, rather than an official statement. The "non-compat" statement is at: TomTomLink

So assuming when you buy the TomTom BT kit, the Tom Tom system and maps are ready installed on the SD card, surely you don't have to go through active sync to install anyway.

Do you think I'd be ok to buy a PDA with WM 5 pre installed and then buy the additional Tom TOm BT Nav 5 kit and hope it works, or is that a bit risky?

I've searched in vain and can't find any official info when Tom Tom are going to release a fully compat version of Nagivator for WM 5. What a mindfield of compatibility issues!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To install via activesync 4 (I'm using activesync 4.1)

You run the install and it creates four cab files - you then quit the install and copy these four files onto the pda manualy - via active sync or onto a memory card via a reader (you should definately buy a card reader for installing or reinstalling maps). The full european map set on cd is probably better value than buying the sd pack - also the sd card is not designed for wm5 so you may run into problems anyway.

You can download the 5.1 update from tomtom and try the install before you buy the package it won't run but at least you can confirm you care happy to install it. (for a x51v you will have to install 5.1 anyway as 5.0 had numerous problems with VGA devices).

you then just click on each of these and tomtom installs each part - no problem - then use the install cd to install a voice file and you're done.

By the time you purchase it there will be (probably/maybe/could be/should be) an update for WM5 from tomtom - I think some memebrs of this forum maybe beta testing it at the moment.

Either way it works - possibly better than with wm2003 at least a far as thew bt connection to my mobile for traffic info is concerned - it is now far more reliable (the hard reset of the pda during the install of wm5 may be the reason for this though).

Ian
converse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, thank you so much for all this info - will digest, research and then make a purchasing decision!

I notice you run an HP device in your sig too, do you find the Axim or the HP better for general PDA and sat nav?
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dell replaced the 2210 which replaced a 3850 which replaced a palm IIIe.

To be honest the 2210 is the best pda I have owned but it had serious issues with bt and sd cards - both could be worked around - size and 2 card slots were brilliant.

I got the dell when the 2210 died - I've since had the 2210 repaired and use it as a universal remote control for tv's etc in the house.

I the x50v vga screen is brilliant to work with - for gp, notetaking, spreadsheets and watching dvd's and I am now quite satisfied with it - runs wm5 really well so far. (WM5 also allows comes with powerpoint mobile - looking forward to playing with that).

I gave the 3850 to my dad who runs ttn5 on it - just shows that fancy fast pda's aren't required to run gps on pocket pc's (the tungsten e also does a great job with via michelin software as well considering its spec).

As for whats really best - I got the dell because the price was right - at the time £150 less than the hp 4700 - buy the best you can afford and if you want lots of help stick to one of the major brands as these have the most users.

As Palm looks to have thrown in the towel any pocket pc running wm5 will be future proofed for the next year.

I use the pda functions a lot - if you only want gps then look at the garmin i3 and tomtom ONE for cheaper gps only.

Ian
converse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, thanks for your detailed reply, I'm toying with adding it to an older Axim X5 now, or just waiting a month or two to get the X51 (I do use PDA functions a lot, like yourself, and the potential of a high-res screen maybe the seller for me), and hopefully by then TomTom will have released a totally compat. system. I've always used Dell hardware before and never had a problem, so hopefully!

Or perhaps adding a bluetooth card to the older X5 then my other half can share the Tom Tom assuming we get the bluetooth version and it's easy to switch between two PDAs.

Interesting to see how you've found the other models from HP and Palm, will inwardly digest!
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: to ian: how to install wm5 in to x50?? Reply with quote

Smile hi ian:
how do u install wm5 in to x50? x50 comes with windows pocket version 2003 isn't it?
could u please let me know?
if so it would becheaper to buy x50 and install wm5 than buying x51?
many thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: