Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Combined USB Data & Charger £3.99 + Mains Charger £7.99
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Combined USB Data & Charger £3.99 + Mains Charger £7.99

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nourishment
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Combined USB Data & Charger £3.99 + Mains Charger £7.99 Reply with quote

USB Data & Charger:

http://www.play3k.com/products/product.html?session=SC27582ED81CDC07A14B52663621C7D5D/productid=P434A248333D86

(If the link doesn't work goto www.play3k.com, PSP>Accessories)

I bought one from their eBay site before I realised they have their own website. Works a treat.

Mains charger:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9829701.htm

Comes with various sized plugs and you change the voltage and polarity of the cenre plug.
nourishment
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Works with TomTom One Reply with quote

I forgot to say that it works fine with my TomTom One!
227BHA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you rather a mains charger than USB then the PSP mains chargers are also compatible and a lot cheaper than the Tomtom ones

Cheapest I found on ebay was this place

http://search.stores.ebay.co.uk/ADDONSWORLD_SONY-PSP-UK-TRAVEL-CHARGER_W0QQfciZ0QQfclZ3QQfsnZADDONSWORLDQQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQftsZ2QQsaselZ36214385QQsatitleZSONYQ20PSPQ20Q2dQ20UKQ20TRAVELQ20CHARGERQQsofpZ0

I went for the Sony PSP UK Travel Charger £3.49 + £2.25 P&P
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Works with TomTom One Reply with quote

nourishment wrote:

£250 for your One, £20 for a TomTom Charger.

Is it worth the risk?
If you have a problem with a third party charger you could end up with an expensive repair bill. At least if you have the OEM charger you have some come back if it damages your device
227BHA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Works with TomTom One Reply with quote

rayflan wrote:
nourishment wrote:

Is it worth the risk?

Can't quite see where there's a risk? As long as the voltage is the same - 5v then a PSP charger is going to be fine. And judging by earlier threads on this topic plenty of others are using PSP chargers with no probs.

Prices for accessories on Tomtom products are daylight robbery - £20+ for a charger and £50 for a case.

I paid a fiver for my charger and in answer to your question "Is it worth the risk" then YES!
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Works with TomTom One Reply with quote

I guess it’s down to personal choice, time will tell.
nourishment
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: What risk? Reply with quote

rayflan,

I'm certainly no electrician but it's 5V DC, with a +ve centre pin and the current rating is the same as the TomTom mains adaptor.

Any feedback from other members?

Simon

PS I got my One for £219 from PC World the week before Xmas. Reserved online and collected in store the next day. It's the best price I've seen so far.
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I was trying to make was if your third party psu develops a fault and damages Your One I'm sure you could get the psu replaced by your supplier but not the One.
If you have a problem with a psu supplied by tomtom you could return your One to them as well.

I know a lot of the tomtom accessories are a stupid price but I just don't believe in cutting corners on accessories that are so important to the operation of the device they are bought for.

This is just my own opinion and I'm sure your psus will be ok.
I've had my Go 12 months paid £450 for it plus extra cards, maps etc
I use it everyday and done about 40,000 miles with it, I'd be lost without it literally
kobudera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sony PSP that the power supply is sold for costs about £150, so I doubt that they'd use a shoddy charger. In either event, I expect all the PSs come from the same one or two factories in China or Taiwan anway! I just wonder how tomtom arrive at a £20 prive tag...
nourishment
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly my point kobudera.

rayflan, are you saying that you buy TomTom branded memory cards also?

Not trying to argue here but there's no way that a TomTom badged charger can be in any way beter than any other power supply. As a piece of kt they are incredibly simple.

Of course if someone out there is a buyer for TomTom they may be able to say otherwise and prove me wrong?

IF my cheap charger damages my TT1 then I might not tell PC world that bit of information when I take it back under warranty. IF my cheap charger doesn't damage the TT1 within 12 months then I'm happy.

At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their own preferences and opinions - that's why forums are so useful!

Kind regards,

N
rayflan
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nourishment wrote:
Exactly my point kobudera.

rayflan, are you saying that you buy TomTom branded memory cards also?

Not trying to argue here but there's no way that a TomTom badged charger can be in any way beter than any other power supply. As a piece of kt they are incredibly simple.

Of course if someone out there is a buyer for TomTom they may be able to say otherwise and prove me wrong?

IF my cheap charger damages my TT1 then I might not tell PC world that bit of information when I take it back under warranty. IF my cheap charger doesn't damage the TT1 within 12 months then I'm happy.

At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their own preferences and opinions - that's why forums are so useful!

Kind regards,

N

You have missed my point.

I don't buy only tomtom accessories, if my scandisk sd card goes faulty I replace it or use my original no harm done.

If your third party psu goes faulty cooking your One who will repair or replace it? . Tomtom have always requested the device and psu be returned in the past. Pc World may give you a 12 month warranty but TomTom gives you a 24 month warranty.

I'm not trying to justify tomtoms prices or say their goods are better than everything else. I don't work for tomtom sales either, I just don’t believe in cutting corners with important accessories to try and save a few quid in the short term.
As you say this is only my opinion and thats what forums are about.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: