Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MPH out by about 7mph
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MPH out by about 7mph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boyde
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: MPH out by about 7mph Reply with quote

Not that it is really important, the speed on my tomtom go300 is about 7mph behind. How can I sought this?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using to compare this to, if its the cars speedo then I would sugest the error is the speedo, (or incorrect size tyres etc), Note the GPS speed is at its most accurate on flat straight roads, is the 7MPH error at 70MPH indicated on the speedo? if so 10% is about all I would expect from a car speedo, thats your safety margin for not exceeding the limit - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike's right - if you are doing a constant speed in a straightish line and on a flatish road it is your speedo not your sat nav that is wrong.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regulations require that vehicle speedometers are either 100% accurate or can read up to 10% over.

Consequently most speedo's will read somewhere between the two, often towards the 10% fast end.

Your GPS Speed is far more accurate assuming you are travelling at a constant speed.
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree with the replies here (after all, the GPS data has to be a much more accurate way of computing speed), for me, it does take a huge leap of faith to start to disregard the speedo and use the GPS speed (even though I know that is is likely to be the more accurate).
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a traffic policeman explained to me that speedo's on the car are not all that accurate, as the tread on the tyre actually influences the reading you will get, and hence it will change with time as your tyres change.

There are other parameters which also influence its accuracy, so he explained to me that they re-calibrated their speedo's quite frequently on the patrol cars- I am not sure if this was the cars actual speedo they re-set or some further unit installed by the police.

anyway, the main difference I guess would be on the update speed of the GPS, - the car speedo will react very quckly to changes in the car speed, the gps will be slower I would think.

Adek
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MPH out by about 7mph Reply with quote

boyde wrote:
Not that it is really important, the speed on my tomtom go300 is about 7mph behind. How can I sought this?

Fix the speedo on your car. Wink

Car speedos have to read fast - you would feel pretty annoyed if it read too slow, wouldn't you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: