Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - updating police cameras on my tomtom300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

updating police cameras on my tomtom300
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinribs69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: updating police cameras on my tomtom300 Reply with quote

I am a new user of GPS systems and the October police cameras were put on for me by a friend,I have tried to put on the November ones(I have deleted the October ones)and my tomtom is saying that the memory card is full! I haven't put anything else on the card,I went into properties and it does show it as full ICan't think why,please please can anyone help me?
I have a SD memory card from my camera and I thought I was being clever by trying to do it that way but the tomtom just refuses to accepy it!
Thanking in anticipation.
Barbara aka tinribs.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 'Tinribs' and welcome.

Did you have any files on the card from when it was in the camera?

How big is the SD card? A 128MB is barely big enough to contain a lot of additional files..

It's not absolutely necessary to delete the files each month as the new ones will overwrite them.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
tinribs69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: tomtom300 police camera loading Reply with quote

Thankyou Richard for your speedy response. I didn't have any files on the SD card it is a 256 one. I didn't know that I didn't need to delete the old cameras. I still have the problem as I can't seem to be able to load the cameras now as the tomtom disk is full and cameras are the only thing that has been put on it. Can you advise me? I really appreciate this as I am very new to this.
Thanking you
Barbara aka tinribs
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GB maps and POI extras should fit on a 256 card with no problem. I can only think that there is a corruption on the card that is the problem.

I am assuming that you still have the original 128 card that came with the 300,Smile and/or a backup on the PC.Smile

If you have I would start again.

Reformat the card and copy the backup to the card. Check that the 300 works and then add the cameras, following the numerous guides on the Forums.

tinribs69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: trying to get police cameras on tomtom Reply with quote

Hi Richard, Thank you for your reply. I do still have the original 128 disc in the 300 and I think I've backed it up or at least I have tried to! My problem is that I am quite new yo computers and they do cause me worries and problems and I am always afraid to do things that might do something else wrong if you understand what I mean! The 256 card keeps being rejected by the tomtom I get a red cross symbol across the picture on the display so I don't know what I haven't done right,I have loaded it with all the stuff that I copied off the original disc. Any other tips?
Many,many thanks to you for taking the time to help me.
tinribs(called this as I am in a wheelchair!)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: trying to get police cameras on tomtom Reply with quote

tinribs69 wrote:
The 256 card keeps being rejected by the tomtom I get a red cross symbol across the picture on the display

This is a sure sign that you will have to re-format the card. As long as you keep the 128 card secure you will be alright.

There should be a little switch on one edge of the 128 card. Slide this away from the contacts. That will put it into a read-only state.

If you put that card into the 300 does it work OK?

If yes, and you're not sure about how good you're Backup is, connect the 300 to the PC with the USB cable, switch the 300 on and copy the entire contents of the 128 card to it's a Folder on the PC. Name the TomTom so you can find it in the future. Note: use Safely Remove Hardware (in the Sys Tray if using XP) whenever you need to disconnect from PC to make sure writing to SD card is finished.

Check that you have the Folder on the PC contains just under 128 MB. If it's less than 100MB, something was copied.

Turn off the 300 and swap the cards (leave USB cable attached) and turn on again. In My Computer, or File Explorer, Right Click the TomTom Drive and select Format and OK.

When format is complete copy everything from the Folder you created, (not the folder itself) to the Sd card. This will put all the data that was on the 128 card, onto the 256. See Note above.

Unplug and switch on 300 and hopefully it will work.

Now you only need to load the POI's that you want.

tinribs69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: tomtom300 police camera loading Reply with quote

Hi there Richard,
It's me again! You're instructions were so concise that even I managed to follow them. All the information from the 300 is on the 256 disc but for some reason mine won't accept it,it shows in My Computer as being TomTom Go and as I said all the info is there but the 300 screen just keeps putting a red cross over a card that is being ejected!Maybe there is a fault with my 300. It works fine with the original disc but I just wish there was room for the safety cameras, I'm stuck as to what to do next. You're instructions were great though I didn't know how to format a card before! They say you learn something new every day so I've learnt lots today Thanks to you. If you have any more suggestions I would appreciate them other than that I will have to try TomTom but I have been told they don't approve of people putting Safety cameras on their systems! Once again Thank You for taking the time to care.
From tinribs
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get the camera data onto a 128 card, but you will have to remove all the unused voices. All except the English Male and Female will be OK to remove.

Each voice takes up about 1MB and the cameras takes just over 1MB.

You must have at least 2MB free on the SD card when everything is loaded as the TT needs that for doing it's calculations.

It is best, if you're not sure what you are doing, to Delete Voices in Change Preferences > Change Voice (Page 4 of 6) > Select the one to remove and Choose Delete.

If you do use the 128 card remember to move the read-only switch towards the contacts.

If you have a Card Reader, you try using that instead of the TT to reformat again and reload your backup. It has been known to work.

tinribs69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
You really are a genius I did all the things you said(I could only remove 2 voices) I didn't Reformat my card I do have a card reader on my computer but I was afraid I might muck things up and lose everything. IAccording to the TomTom in My Computer I have the cameras but they are not in my POI or anywhere on the 300 as far as I can find them. Any ideas? Sorry to keep bothering you but you have been so helpful I really feel you know your stuff and all your directions that I have followed have worked. I think I'm giving up for tonight though and I'll try again in the morning as I have done all I can do at present.
Once again THANKYOU it is really appreciated.
Good Night from tinribs
PS how did you get the Emoticon on your reply?[/img]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: trying to get police cameras on tomtom Reply with quote

tinribs69 wrote:
I think I've backed it up or at least I have tried to! The 256 card keeps being rejected by the tomtom I get a red cross symbol across the picture on the display so I don't know what I haven't done right,I have loaded it with all the stuff that I copied off the original disc. Any other tips?

When you copied the card did you go into windows explorer, Tools Tab select the Folder option Tab and on the resultant page that opens select the "view" tab. Part way down this listing will be Hiden files and folders, make sure that is selected to "Show hidden files and folders" - if not you will get in incomplete back-up and incorrect install on the larger card. I hope this helps - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinribs69 wrote:
I didn't Reformat my card I do have a card reader on my computer but I was afraid I might muck things up and lose everything.

As long as you have a Full Backup you should be OK. When you Format you have the option to format in FAT or FAT32. Try the FAT to see if that helps.
tinribs69 wrote:
According to the TomTom in My Computer I have the cameras but they are not in my POI or anywhere on the 300 as far as I can find them.

The camera files should be in the Great_Britain-Map Folder.
tinribs69 wrote:
how did you get the Emoticon on your reply?

At the keft side, if you let the mouse hover over the Emoticons, at the bottom of my browser the javascript short text is shown inside brackets. 8)

They are based on the shortcuts that are used in Text Messages. Wink If you the Quote button at the top of this Post you will see what I have used. :D

Hint: Use the Preview button, in the beginning, to see if you've got it right. Smile

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: trying to get police cameras on tomtom Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
When you copied the card did you go into windows explorer, Tools Tab select the Folder option Tab and on the resultant page that opens select the "view" tab. Part way down this listing will be Hiden files and folders, make sure that is selected to "Show hidden files and folders" - if not you will get in incomplete back-up and incorrect install on the larger card. I hope this helps - Mike

Mike

With the GO, I've never found any Hidden Files or Folders. I don't know if it's a function of Linux or not.

tinribs69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: tomtom problems Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
Keep your fingers crossed I think we've cracked it in as much as I appear to have some cameras on my 300. The gps winrar file for Nov 05 though is not crrect as it comes up with a box saying read error in file H:\pocketgps_uk_sc_Nov05.zip under that it says The parameter is incorrect.
I am going down to Buckinghamshire today so today will be the testing time. I am back tomorrow night so I will update you on my progress,here's hoping because your information,instruction etc has been so good.
I deleted the French and German voice to make space.
Out of interest would Norton Antivirus take up the space on the card?
I haven't cracked the emoticons on these replies but I'm not one that gives up!
Once again a Very Big Thankyou
From tinribs
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom problems Reply with quote

tinribs69 wrote:
Out of interest would Norton Antivirus take up the space on the card?

There shouldn't be anything on the card except for TomTom related data.

tinribs69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Richard,
It's me again,I'm not home yet as we stopped off at our daughters but even though ov2bmp is on the card the cameras aren't!
I was so disappointed as I had really high hopes that we'd cracked it!
Norton Antivirus is on my card,how do I get it off iff it's taking up space?
When I get back home I do hope you won't mind me going through any things I may have done wrong with you?
Take care and Thankyou once more.
tinribs

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: