Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Permanently installed bluetooth receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Permanently installed bluetooth receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teflon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Permanently installed bluetooth receiver Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've had a search around but I've not spotted any info on this.

I'm looking to permanently connect a bluetooth GPS receiver to the battery of my car (via a lighter socket in the boot)

I'm worried that if I leave my current unit ( a GR-230 ) permanently turned on, that it may drain the battery in the car ( the car can sometimes be left for 7 days without moving )

I've read a little about recievers that "Auto Off" but exactly how they work isn't explained very well; in fact one description describing itself as "patented" says that when it detects power it turns on, and when there is no power it switches off. This seems to me to be the very same "patented" technology employed in a houshold light bulb.

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a device to fit my situation, or perhaps just sooth my fears of a flat battery?

Phill.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some BT GPS units have 'soft' ON/OFF switched and these are the problem ones. Once the ignition goes off they stay on until the power in the battery expires and have to be manually switched back on.

The best ones for your purpose are those with 'hardware' ON/OFF switches such as the Holux Gr236. With this you can leave it ON and let the ignition control the ON/OFF state. You could also remove the battery completely.

No solution using a portable BT unit is practical however without an ignition controlled supply.

There is a BT unit intended for hard wiring though called the Deluo Black Box, see here.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My unit, the GR231 switches off if it does not detect a bt connection within 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure that the GR230 does this also.

Regards

Dave
teflon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Darren. At least I know I certainly don't want an auto off device, thanks for clearing that up.

The cigarette lighter socket in the boot is definiately not linked to the ignition unfortunately so it looks like I'll have to resort to wiring a device into the ignition circuit somewhere.

I had a look at the Black Box device, looks quite interesting but I've not found anyone selling it in the UK.

Ako : I've checked, and my GR230 will happily just sit there with the power on till it goes flat.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ako wrote:
My unit, the GR231 switches off if it does not detect a bt connection within 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure that the GR230 does this also.

Regards

Dave

Indeed but it won't then switch back on until the switch is pressed, not ideal if mounted in the boot.
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes absolutely Darren. Looking at teflons reply I think they may have fixed the switching off problem since I got mine. There was definitely a problem at one time with switching off even if using them as a wired connection, (because of not seeing the bluetooth connection) and I know mine switches off as I usually just get out of the car and when I get back the unit is off.

Regards

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: