Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - P910i & Tom Tom Mobile & Holux BT-321
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

P910i & Tom Tom Mobile & Holux BT-321

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nasty_MF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: P910i & Tom Tom Mobile & Holux BT-321 Reply with quote

Hi all, this is my first post here, so forgive noob actions.

Just got a Holux 321 Bluetooth GPS thingy for my SonyEricsson P910i

Using Tom Tom 5 Mobile version;

5.020(535)
GPS Driver V.2.20
Map - "Great-Britain-Map" V.562
NNPAE GJLJJ

SonyEricsson P910i firmware state;

Phone - R4E001
Bluetooth - 1R2F
Organiser - R5B01
CDA - R5A01

128mb Memory Stick Duo is required for the maps I have UK and Australia installed on 1 x 256 duo card, but each map including the speed camera database is less than 110mb.

Only after doing a firmware update did the system work. Before the update, the Tom Tom splash screen would show, then a fatal error, then application shutdown.

Now that it's all working, I can't believe the quality of the navigation it produces! speed cameras with configurable alerts, spot on navigation, smooth map scrolling all the rest of it. A hell of a bit of software.

I’m going to compare my old GPS sat-nav system to this, apologies to anyone who disagrees. This is the only other system I have used - The PNA 175 by Medion bought at Halfords.

The quality of the GPS receiver is a big thing, the Holux 321(not on Holux website) was bought from eBay £42, it picks up signal in around 5 seconds, 40 seconds if the battery is out or the unit has moved since being switched off. I think it's a great little receiver, the accuracy is amazing.

When I used the PNA 175 before, accuracy was ok, but not anything to write home over, this setup is though.
System lockups on the PNA were about four times a week, but more often if changing a route halfway though. Tom Tom/P910i lockups – none yet, I’ll let you know.
The PNA map data is well out of date, for example major changes to Bristol city centre roads, completed in 2002 are not taken into account, the same roads are fine on the Tom Tom’s maps. There are many other roads I have had problems with using the PNA. A favourite cause of lockups on the PNA are flyovers and spaghetti junctions, almost every time it locked up. The same junction with the Tom Tom/910i was very pleasant.

OK I’m sounding off a bit now, but the PNA wound me up a lot, and it’s a huge relief to get a sat-nav system that works well. There are a couple of things I don’t like about it;
My god does it eat your battery ! (you need external power)
Exiting the Tom Tom application takes four different clicks, if you make a slight mistake, it seems like it’s off, but it’s there in the background munching your battery away.
The 3D map view isn’t that inspiring either, but then it is a mobile phone without a graphics card what do you expect.

GPS ready to navigate times are a very important factor, one of the most important I think. With the PNA if you stand out of your car with the PNA in the air, you could be ready to navigate in around 3 or 4 minutes. If it's raining, and I live in the UK so that's most of the time, ready to navigate times are a complete joke. Often I finish my journey using a map before the PNA has acquired enough satellites to navigate me.

I have used this Tom Tom Mobile/Holux BT-321/P910i for a week now and the longest delay was the first day I used it, nearly 45 seconds. ever since then 5 seconds is the norm. Inside my car. As I sit typing this, Holux has just gone into sleep mode, after 10 minutes of no Bluetooth it shuts itself off to save power. I live in a 2 story house and it has acquired enough satellites to fix my position. It does not power itself on automatically when you return from the services after your coffee, but press 1 button and by the time you start your engine, you're ready to go.

Tom Tom Mobile coupled with a decent GPS will surprise you, I'm not sure what the generic supplied GPS receiver is like, I'm certain someone else can tell us.

Any questions I will be happy to answer.

Mike
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a Holux, they branded it as HOLOX probably to trick users into thinking it's Holux. Completely unrelated product.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nasty_MF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I gathered it wasn't Holux, the website like I said did't mention it. I continued using the given model ID for ease.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: