Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Arkon Powdered GPS Mount?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Arkon Powdered GPS Mount?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Arkon Powdered GPS Mount? Reply with quote

Help!!!

Have just bought TOM TOM 5 Navigator and am trying to get it to work with my HP5550 and my Arkon Powdered GPS Mount for HP iPAQ CM805.

Installed the software ok and have plugged it into my car and am getting the message "No GPS device"

I have my Ipaq pared with my phone as well. Have tried turning off bluettoh to see if that will make a difference and it doesnt.

I am selecting COM1 serial connection and nothing happens and basically have tried all the other options with no joy either.

I have read on hear to make sure int infrared beams is turned off and it is.

Can anyone help?

Mike
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

COM1 should be correct. Most probably at 4800 baud , NMEA protocol

Start > Settings > Connections > Beam > Disable incoming beams

Can you try to connect with a GPS tool like VisualGPSce?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Foo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: will try that Reply with quote

ho ho ho will give that a go and will let you know!!
Foo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Just tried the VisualGPSce software and it doesnt detect a signal.

The gps unit is blinking green which indicates that is ok.

Any ideas?

Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got any software loaded on the pda to use an external keyboard, if so go into that application and select serial/ IrDA instead of the keyboard mode, if not how long are leaving the gps to aquire a signal, the first time could take 15 to 20 min - Mike
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you say that the device is paired with the phone, you don't say if you can get the device to connect to the phone in the bluetooth manager (or whatever it's called with your phone) after pairing. If so, TomTom should also connect, subject to selecting "Other Bluetooth GPS" as the receiver type, and selecting the serial port appropriate to your phone.

If it won't connect in the bluetooth manager, try pairing again.

Check also that you have the latest version of the TomTom software and, if not, download the appropriate update, as some earlier versions' GPS receiver configuration facilities were not entirely satisfactory. For example, some would not work with third-party BT GPS receivers unless they were configured as wired receivers.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Foo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI

ah ok the phone can see the ipaq and the ipaq can see my phone. I have turned bluetooth off to see if that would make a difference. The GPS receiever is a wired one so not bluetooth.

Will download the latest verson of tom tom and give that a try.

Used to have AA Navigator and that worked a treat.

Will let you know how it goes

Mike
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, having read your original post again, I see that you're not using a Windows Mobile phone, but an Ipaq. Apart from that, though, the above suggestions still apply.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arkon is a serial device so Bluetooth and IRDA should be irrelevant. TomTom should see the Arkon when set to other NEMA GPS, 4800bps, and pointed to the correct serial port. On my iPaq 4355 that is Port 1. That is also Arkon's default recommendation.

When I select Other NMEA in TomTom it presents me with a Baud Rate choice, default 4800, and then a descriptive list of available ports. For the Arkon I pick Serial Cable on Com1.

Is your PDA compatible with the CM805? iPaq's use different connectors.
Are you selecting Other NEMA GPS?
Are you selecting a baud rate of 4800?
Are you then selecting Serial Cable on Com X (X being whatever the port is numbered)
Does the little yellow and black wheel in the upper right corner of the GPS status page spin? If so you have a connection if not yet a signal.

If all the above is true, it sounds like the Arkon is defective.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneid writes:

Quote:
The Arkon [CM 805] is a serial device

For the benefit of those who, like me, did not already know, the Arkon CM 805 powered PDA mount has an in-built GPS receiver.

That's interesting. The hardware options available seem to increase by the minute!! The only thing that occurs to me is that it's quite a bulky, and expensive, item to hide in the car when the driver goes for a walk when the PPC concerned would support a bluetooth receiver that would slip in the pocket. Having said that, thieves will break in even if they only think there's something in there, in which case I suppose that the cost of one of these mounts might not make much difference once the insurance excess is paid.
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That said it is a very convenient and portable setup. It is quickly removeble allowing it to go car to car or be stored in your trunk out sight to thieves. As the receiver/antenna is built-in the only wire that needs to managed is the cigarette lighter power cord.

It is time for an upgrade of a sleaker mount and SirfIII receiver.
Foo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think I may be doing something wrong now.

I have upgraded to navigator 5.2 downloaded it from the Tom Tom website and that didnt fix the problem.

The way its setup at the moment I have selected:
the other NEMA GPS
4800BPS
Serial Cable on COM1

The yellow and black wheel has never moved. I dont think he Arkon unit is defective as last week I had the AA navigator working on it fine with my HP5500.

Playing around with the ipaq now in BT manageter in network devices I can see that bluetooth dial up networking is set to Com port 1. Should I change that?.

I'm sure this shouldnt be this complicated!!!!!!!!!!
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My iPaq BT ports are Com 6 & 8. If your BT works on Com 1 than Com 1 must not be your Serial port.

You said you had another app using the Arkon. What port was it using?

You might download GPS Gate, a free trial, to see if it can find the right port.

You could nuke the BT connection using Com 1. It may have seized your serial port preventing its use.

What ports does TT offer you when configuring the device?

TT used to not play nice and re-wrote some drivers making it so other apps wouldn't work anymore. They play nice now but maybe the other app you were using somehow re-configured the port so TT can't use it.

You might take a peek in the Drivers section of the Registry. The Com ports, their types, and assignments are listed there.

It does sound like you may have a corrupt port.
Rob_S
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just had this hassle with a kirrio cradle and rz1710..might not be useful or relevant tbh, but i reinstalled tt5 whilst in the powered cradle and set to port 1, 19200 baud on other nmea cable and that made it work.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: