Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cheep and cheerful.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheep and cheerful.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madtam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Cheep and cheerful. Reply with quote

Having had a Mio 168 with the miomap software for about a year now I am not quite a complete newbie. But having managed to break the screen on the PDA I am now looking to buy again. The trouble is I have no idea what to get. A year ago I chose the Mio as the most economic method of getting GPS. I wasn't disappointed and although it probably wasn't the best solution it worked well. Things have moved on and now the dedicated GPS solutions are the cheapest but I had got quite used to some of the additional functions of the PDA.
I am now torn between updating the PDA to a newer better spec. and either using the existing map software or maybe even getting up to date maps. Or just getting a cheap standalone GPS such as the Garmin i3 or Navman ic320 which are currently pretty cheap in Halfords.
Low cost is a big priority as cash is a bit tight at the moment and this favours the standalone. However I don't know how flexible these are whereas the PDA option seems to offer greater scope for future tweaks and of course has additional functionality.
Would anyone care to elaborate on what the cheap end of the GPS market is like.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need the PDA facilities?
Do you know that the Navman 320 does not have a moving map? (only had directional arrows), if you want somthing very very basic then the 320 would be fine but if you are used to PDA software i think you could be a little disapointed.

We have the Mio with the Mio Map software, not much cheaper if you buy the mio on its own.
http://www.totalpda.com/Mio-168-GPS-Pocket-PC-with-Mio-Map.aspx
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the 168 replacement ??
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at
http://www.mio-tech.be/products/gps/a201/default.asp?From=201Thumbnail
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mio A201 is now available in the UK.

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/PDAs/Pocket_PC/MIO_A201_PDA_WITH_SIRF_STAR_III_GPS.html

It really is a substantial improvement on the Mio 168. The flush fitting, rotating GPS receiver is a nice touch, particularly since it is also Sirf III.

You really would be disappointed if you moved to something like the i3 if you already used to using a PDA based system.[/url]

Tel: 0871 7000 156
Globalsat UK Distributor
madtam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at the A201 and as it stands it would probably be well up on the list of replacements if I decide on a PDA.
I have started to use some of the PDA functions and having recently added a bluetooth dongle to the home PC to update the new phone I can see the synchonising being a lot easier.
In realityI have pretty much already decided that I should replace the PDA to start with and probably update the mapping later. It's just the difference in cost that makes me still consider the dedicated route.
Checking through other threads on here isn't convincing me that the dedicated route is the way to go and I would certainly miss the PDA functions. I suppose like many I do like my gadgets (toys).
djc1610
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most A201s will not work with TT5.

There is a bug.

See other threads on this forum.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: