Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Struggling with Garmin Vista C and Memeory Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Struggling with Garmin Vista C and Memeory Map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris44
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Struggling with Garmin Vista C and Memeory Map Reply with quote

Have bought a Vista C and MM mainly for moutain biking. Tested it plenty of times on routes i'd put through MM on roads between work & home. Got reasonably comfortable with it but i realise the problems i found then are made worse when i'm out on the bike. Recalulating route, not getting warnings / audible beeps on some waypoints.

Set off on a familiar ride on the bike and am still struggling. Start from WP01 - the unit continually states arriving at WP01, i recalulate route but by this time i'm arriving at WP02 or 03 etc! I've got no problem getting round the menu pages - plenty of practice with that! Am i missing a simple setting?

Have gone back to trusty OS map but am annoyed at the £ outlay for no use so far!

Any pointers from anyone with the same unit?
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vista C and MM?
How?
BernieK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Huh! Reply with quote

Ditto! PC-Mobile

Only Garmin software will work in Garmin units! If you want autorouting in the Vista C, you must install data from either City Navigator or City Select software. You will find that both these packages are v. expensive, especially to the UK market.

I already owned a Streetpilot 2610 that came with CN software. You can unlock this software (and CS) to 2 separate Garmin GPS units... this is the main thing that persuaded me to buy the Vista C to use on our pedal bikes.

If you use Metroguide software with your Vista C, you will get hi-rez maps down to street-level but no autorouting facilities. You will have to plot your routes on your PC, download them to the Garmin then simply follow the fixed, pre-determined route.
piedwagtail91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use mm or tracklogs overlays in the vista c but with no road detail unless you have city select. are you saving your track to gps from mem.map as a route or saved tracklog?
if it's a saved tracklog you should have the option of choosing exactly where you want to navigate to on the overlay.
i use tracklogs digital mapping on the road bike, everything is sent to the vista c as a saved tracklog, when i selct the ride i want an option screen comes up asking where i want to navigate to, i select the end point and it simply bleeps at every turn.( i deselected the flash screeen showing the direction arrow)
if it's routes you're saving i can't help because i never use them because a saved tracklog is far easier to use and can save longer rides.
BernieK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Routing... Reply with quote

For me, the main advantage of buying a Vista C (apart from the nice colour screen), is that it can autoroute.

My wife and I use it in the same manner as a car unit - but on the handlebar of my bike. We don't bother with routes, we just input the waypoints we want to cycle to - the box works it all out.

No good off road of course...then you either do the direct-line thing and spiral in to the target or you have to forward plan like piedwagtail.

All the eTrex GPS units will work with tracks or routes, saved or plotted on a PC and then downloaded to the unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: