Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SiRF STAR III & The TomTom Go Products.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SiRF STAR III & The TomTom Go Products.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: SiRF STAR III & The TomTom Go Products. Reply with quote

Firstly I'm new around here so please don't shoot me for a stupid question Smile

I've been researching a portable satnav product for some months now and as I drive many different cars (I'm a car dealer) I became quite concerned about the needing of an external aerial to pick up a signal, due to most of the vehicles I drive are mid-top end luxury/sports cars.

To be honest that was the only thing stopping me from buying a TomTom GO 700 (I travel abroad a lot)

Now I was just about to throw caution to the wind and get a TomTom GO in Argos special 20% off sale until I discovered the TomTom One and it's SiRF Star III technology people are reporting that they are getting a much better and quicker satalite lock and some are even mentioning they can get a sat lock in vehicles they could not with the GO product.

So I'm in a bit of a dilema I'm hoping some of you lovely people can help me out with!

Surely if the benefits of the SiRF Star III chipset is that great TomTom will have no choice other than to release the go product with it?

Is that pyshicaly possible do you think? are there any technical reasons why it can't be introduced into the GO Range?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want the hassle and mess factor of external aerials and need the luxury of street level europe at the touch of a button and not preloading countries onto SD cards all the time.

Thanks.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: SiRF STAR III & The TomTom Go Products. Reply with quote

zel wrote:
Surely if the benefits of the SiRF Star III chipset is that great TomTom will have no choice other than to release the go product with it?

Perhaps they will when they release a new version of the GO. For now they are selling well so they have no need!

Quote:

Is that pyshicaly possible do you think? are there any technical reasons why it can't be introduced into the GO Range?

None whatsoever. The 'ONE' is virtually identical to the GO in most ways.

Quote:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want the hassle and mess factor of external aerials and need the luxury of street level europe at the touch of a button and not preloading countries onto SD cards all the time.

If you are looking for a GO 700 with srif star III my prediction is that you will have to wait for a while, probably middle of next year at a guess.

My advice is if you want a Sat Nav go ahead and buy it now. Like with all technology it is ever changing and if we always waited for the next big thing we'd never buy anything.
Tosty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always consider the Garmin Nuvi 350 which I think comes with full euro maps (better ones as well Wink ). However you would loose the bluetooth hands free calling Sad .
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my 700 in Europe. It's fine in most cases. Signal lost in some deep valleys in the mountains and on the Paris Periphique (lots of walls and underpasses. Occasional loss of signal in central London.

I would get one. Unless you are in a car with a heat reflecting windscreen (mostly French) you should be OK.

If you get an aerial it boosts the signal even when inside the car, it rarely need putting outside. Even if it did it's small and magnetic so you can take it with you.

The biggest drawback to the aerial is the crap design. It connects via the mounting shoe and that shoe has a metre of cable attached ending in a connector. The aerial is fixed to a further 6 or 7 metres of cable with the other half of the connector attached. What most people need is an aerial that connects directly to the GO with a 2 inch lead.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zel, if you like the GO 700, I'd go with it. I wouldn't be too concerned about what you mentioned. It seems like it would be a good fit for you.
howie555
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my 700 every week in france using the external arial in side the various hire cars.I looped the arial cable and tied it with cable ties so that i am not trailing meters of wire every where. Also a blob of blue tack to hold it to the dash board if no metal is availble.works brilliantly every where even in the urban canyons.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
What most people need is an aerial that connects directly to the GO with a 2 inch lead.

won't work - it will pick up interference from the motherboard in exactly the same way the internal antenna does.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, 3 inches then :D

How is one supposed to use the GO walking around in London's West End, where you need a aerial to get a signal? I'm not brave enough to walk around the West End with 7 metres of cable wrapped around my body!!! 8O
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is your body not big enough for that?
zel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for setting my mind at rest!

After a bit more research today i've noticed Becker have released a portable nav aswell.. Looks quite nice and going by my experience of Becker incar navigation it's always been spot on with its directions.

Has anyone seen a review of it yet?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, and we don't care - it's a TT GO forum :-)
zel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point! Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: