Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot6 Add stop by map & track
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot6 Add stop by map & track
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reffolds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: CoPilot6 Add stop by map & track Reply with quote

I am not finding stop locations by postcodes / address very accurate. So I want to use pick on map. It starts fine by letting me specify a postcode, then address, but I never get the option to actually arrive at the map so I can make the final choice precisely. Am I doing something wrong?

It would be a great help if a stop point in favourites could be edited - both the name and the position. Is that possible?

How do I turn on tracking? I can find the option to play tracks back, but not where to create them in the first place. When I play back the sample (to Wisbech) from the play GPS track all I get is seeing the position cursor move on the map. Yet when I play the demo I get the guidance screen as if I was driving

Can the CoPilot application be installed to my SDcard? I am getting very short of main & built-in storage - currently installed in built-in storage(AXIM X50V).

Thanks for any help that saves me hours experimenting.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: CoPilot6 Add stop by map & track Reply with quote

Reffolds wrote:
I am not finding stop locations by postcodes / address very accurate. So I want to use pick on map. It starts fine by letting me specify a postcode, then address, but I never get the option to actually arrive at the map so I can make the final choice precisely. Am I doing something wrong?

Once you specify an address via postcode or address, you should be shown a map from which to pick the stop. You may have to give 'city center' or something to complete the info so it can show you a map somewhere. Also at any time while you are browsing the map in Planning mode if you touch a point with the stylus you get prompted with "add stop". If you select this you can add a named favorite to whatever dummy trip may exist, and this stop will be available later from Favorites.

Quote:

It would be a great help if a stop point in favourites could be edited - both the name and the position. Is that possible?

You can edit the text file below to change names, maybe position but you would have to be very clever to do position right (it should be on the road). If you don't have a text editor on the PPC (I don't) you have to copy the file to the pc, edit, and copy back to ppc.
\Storage Card\COPILOT\SAVE\favorite.lst
Quote:

How do I turn on tracking? I can find the option to play tracks back, but not where to create them in the first place. When I play back the sample (to Wisbech) from the play GPS track all I get is seeing the position cursor move on the map. Yet when I play the demo I get the guidance screen as if I was driving

To playback tracks, first you create them by, guess what?, driving someplace! GPStracks are automatically created in StorageCard\GPstracks whenever you are being guided. One file is created for each driving day, in directory \Storage Card\my documents\gpstracks, with names like Nov3005.gps for today. Unfortunately, many gps files are actually empty (0bytes), so nothing will happen when you try to play them. So use FileExplorer to pick one of some non-zero size.
As you have seen, go to Options, GPS, Track Playback. Then Open one of the .gps files (pick the GPStracks folder first), choose a speed like 16x (if you want to see real motion), press Play, and OK at the bottom. That day's trip should replay on the screen. Note that you can select the customized line at the bottom of the display to get a readout of whatever street the arrow-cursor is on at that moment (keep tapping to step through speed, town, heading, etc).

I think you have to be in Guidance mode, with GPS receiver turned OFF. It should turn off automatically when you start to Play tracks, so you may have to turn it ON again if you were to start driving afterwards.

Now you can see that big GPS files can build up over time, using up your storage card. The most convenient way to remove these is via the desktop menu command, GPS, Submit tracks. This will collect them out of the storage card, zip and mail them to map data people (we like to believe), and you can choose to leave them on your PC if you like for eventual copy back to PPC which is the only place you can actually display them at present. See other threads where we bemoan the lack of a desktop gpstrack player.
Quote:

Can the CoPilot application be installed to my SDcard? I am getting very short of main & built-in storage - currently installed in built-in storage(AXIM X50V).

I think ALK recommends running the CP app in main memory
Quote:

Thanks for any help that saves me hours experimenting.

Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: CoPilot6 Add stop by map & track Reply with quote

BMWBiker wrote:

GPStracks are automatically created in StorageCard\GPstracks whenever you are being guided.

Oops, the folder is actually;
\Storage Card\my documents\gpstracks
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I add to BMWBiker's responses.

When you select Pick On Map, the screen that follows is intended to allow you to view a map somewhere you think will be near your desired destination. You can do that by nearby Address, nearby Postcode, etc. When presented with the map, having entered the Address, Postcode, etc. you pick a point with the stylus (as described by BMWBiker) after scrolling around to find exactly where to be.

The confusion probably arises because CP 6 offers the choice of naming the address entered - just as if it was the destination. If one actually names it, no entry in Favourites is prodcued, so this is an example of something that was not resolved during development.

Choosing to view a stop on the map displays a very similar window. In both cases, the route so far calculated is not displayed in the window. This severely limits the usefulness of these facilities, unlike in TomTom, and I feel that this urgently needs to be addressed in CP 7.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Reffolds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Find stop by point on map Reply with quote

BMbiker,

I have tried selecting a point by map again.

In Select Stop, I select Pick on Map

I am invited to start search by address, favourite, contact or POI

I select Address

Select UK, next

enter postcode. I am given a huge number of choices based on the first 4 postcode letters / numbers (why not use the whole postcode? I am trying to mark the precise location of someone when I know the postcode AND their actual location). I select one of them, press next

I am asked to enter street address so I enter road name & press next.

I am presented with options for street name - general street name, nearby address, cross-street, streets in nearby cities,..... I the general name, press next

I am asked to name the location and press finish

Ah! Eureka! I am presented with a map (previoulsy assumed finish would be the end so cancelled)

NOW I get the map and can choose a point AND can name it. AND the previous name I entered for the street isn't saved to favourites.

Bit odd, but it works. Thanks for encouraging me to go through it fully.

Thanks also for the other tips.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Find stop by point on map Reply with quote

Reffolds wrote:
BMbiker,

I have tried selecting a point by map again.
....I am asked to name the location and press finish

Ah! Eureka! I am presented with a map (previoulsy assumed finish would be the end so cancelled)

NOW I get the map and can choose a point AND can name it. ...

Yes, it's good to press "finish".

Too bad you have to enter so much data just to get the map to appear. When I do this I choose the simplest address like <city center> just to get to the map quickly. Then I can zoom out/in and pick a stop. The UK postcodes seem to require more data from the user to resolve the point, even though the user doesn't care at all about the precise point. The map should just open immediately, showing maybe 100 mile radius around the last point of interest.

I prefer picking locations from the map via Menu, View, Trip or Dest, etc, because this map is more functional than the one you get from the Trip selection dialog.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following the above discussion, it is perhaps worth asking if anyone knows any means of displaying the route displayed so far in the windows where a point is picked from the map and where a route stop is displayed on the map?
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Ponderous, I can't understand your question.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see what you mean, Ponderous. We are both disappointed in the "special map" that is displayed when you Pick Stop from Map, or when you select a stop in the "Add stop" dialog and tap on "Map". The map displayed here has limited zoom capability and shows no trip info. I don't know of any way to change this.

You (and I) would like to see the "trip calculated so far" on this map . But you only get the trip route display after pressing "Get directions" and you return to the "real map", that has much more zooming capability.

The workaround (if this was your question) is to press Get Directions, then view the "trip calculated so far", then return to menu, trip, add stop.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, BMWBiker.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. The reason I refer to the "route calculated so far" is because the context of looking in these little map windows (why do they have to be little??) is often a route review.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just add a little to my response above to BMWBiker.

What I was trying to say about these "special map windows" is highly relevant to your own question to Elmo some time ago, i.e. whether it was possible to jump to a map window from any point on the route instructions (rather than from just the stops - which remains all that is on offer). My point is that even if you could "jump-to" in the way that you hoped, the map windows would be of little use, as the route is not displayed in any case.

I think that it is important to clarify these issues, as ALK do not seem to be taking them on board when developing their potentially world-beating navigator, now that its routing is so much improved, which also scores so highly with some sophisticated facilities, but unfortunately stumbles so badly where the basics are concerned. In my view, therefore, the objective must be to encourage them to understand what is needed in the next version, if not, preferably, in an early patch.
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A further note (well, a repeated one) on 'jump to point on map': the CoPilot desktop works perfectly here. You can click on any line in the itinerary and it will jump to the map, showing the route, with the turn in question in the center. This is what is needed for the PPC.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just add another note there, BMWBiker , if you don't mind, just in case there are readers who have not yet seen Copilot.

As can be seen, Copilot 6 has some limitations. However, it has other features that far exceed most other Pocket Personal Computer (PPC) -based in-car navigation aids.

One of these features is the Copilot Desktop, which BMWBiker mentioned above. This is a version of CP 6 that runs on the Desktop PC, on which those users who know in advance exactly where they will be going can plan routes in the comfort of the home or office, then transfer them from the Desktop to the PPC. This means, among other things, that many fleet managers will be able to pre-load drivers' routes for the day - and they can get Copilot to work out a route around multiple stops.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this thread is relevant to route planning and reviewing issues, I will continue it by asking another question.

I have never been able to get Copilot to display the street names until the map has been zoomed to such a large scale that very few streets can be seen at once. This means that looking for nearby locations is unnecessarily difficult. I appreciate that touching a street with the stylus will display the name, but that is insufficient.

Also, when the map is at a fairly small scales, so few cities, towns and villages are named that it can be difficult to judge where is where. These limitations are unnecessary, as I know from using other products that "it can be done".

Does anyone know of some means of changing the extent to which street and place names are displayed on the maps, please?
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:

Does anyone know of some means of changing the extent to which street and place names are displayed on the maps, please?

No, it is on my wish list.
I think earlier CP on PPC versions gave us in addition to the 20 levels of zoom something like 8 levels of detail. This gave roughly 160 possibilities for preferred display, way too much for most humans, who just want to know "where the hell am I?"

The obvious answer to this question from GPS software is to zoom to a scale and detail level showing the closest towns and naming the closest streets. I was expecting that the "Where am I" view in CP would do this, but it always shows too little or too much detail to get you oriented, and you have to zoom a lot in and out.

Now CP V6 apparently has automated the level of detail to correspond to the chosen zoom level, that's a start. But it needs a little more sophistication to favor detail in your immediate location (local street names) while ignoring that detail level a few miles away. Same with names of towns.

BTW, in guidance mode at a several detail levels of display, CP really ought to display the next crossroad name, on the map, by default. Again, giving preferential treatment to your immediate vicinity.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: