Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I use Navigator 5 Europe maps with TT ONE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I use Navigator 5 Europe maps with TT ONE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevie43_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Can I use Navigator 5 Europe maps with TT ONE Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just recently bought a Tom Tom ONE and it is amazing.
That Sirfstar 111 chip locks on to satellites inside the house !!

I previously had Navigator 5 on my PDA for which I have the 6 cd set of Western Europe maps.

Question is, can I download these maps from CD to a 1gb SD and use this in my TT ONE.

Ta

Steve
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, if you haven't activated them
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you have activated them you should still be able to activate them again on your ONE.

Anyway my advise is give it a try, worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work and you end up with an SD card which you can use for something else.
Stevie43_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for your replies

Unfortunately I have already activated the CD maps for use with my PDA. I can copy the map files to my PC from the CD set, but I cant copy it to my TT ONE SD card as it is too small.

I have now obtained a larger SD card, but I cant copy the info off the smaller TT ONE SD card onto the larger SD card to allow me to copy the map data to. Also tried a SD reader/writer but cannot copy from my PC to the new card as it is presumably locked. (Hope this makes sense !!!)

It bugs me to think I have to spend more money for something I have already previously shelled out for !!! One of the reasons I got the TT ONE was for its compatibility, which it seems does not apply.

Any comments welcome

Ta

Steve
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie43_uk wrote:
Hi

Thanks for your replies

Unfortunately I have already activated the CD maps for use with my PDA. I can copy the map files to my PC from the CD set, but I cant copy it to my TT ONE SD card as it is too small.

I have now obtained a larger SD card, but I cant copy the info off the smaller TT ONE SD card onto the larger SD card to allow me to copy the map data to. Also tried a SD reader/writer but cannot copy from my PC to the new card as it is presumably locked. (Hope this makes sense !!!)

It bugs me to think I have to spend more money for something I have already previously shelled out for !!! One of the reasons I got the TT ONE was for its compatibility, which it seems does not apply.

Any comments welcome

Ta

Steve

I doubt that is the case as TomTom themselves recommend you make a backup of the card, so you have to be able to get the data off it somehow!

Have you tried this.

Create a temporary folder on your PC
Copy the entire contents of the old TomTomOne card to the temporary folder
Change to the new SD card, making sure it's blank
Copy the entire contents of the temporary folder to the new card.

Then test that card and make sure it works before you go copying new maps.
Stevie43_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I've copied the back up to a temp folder on my pc, but it wont let me copy the temp folder to the SD card.

I'll try backing up from the TT to the SD card direct and see what happens

Cheers for the help....if you can think of anything else let me know

Ta

Steve
cweck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it does not make sense. I have exactly the same setup as you do, and I did exactly the same thing two hours ago as you were trying to do. I have TomTom Navigator which I used on my PDA, then bought TT One, and had to buy a larger SD card because the Scandinavia maps do not fit on the card that came with TT One which contained the UK map.

I copied everything except the map from the SD card which came with TT One onto the new SD card. I then added the Scandinavia maps from the TT Navigator 5 CD set onto the new SD. I inserted the SD into TT One and turned it on. I got a message giving me the unit code and asking me to go to www.ttcode.com and activate the maps with the unit.

In www.ttcode.com you are asked to give the unit code and the product code of TT Navigator 5. I then got an activation code, which I entered into TT One and - voila, I was up and running!

You mentioned that your new SD card is locked, I assume that you have already tried the unlock switch on the side of the SD card?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie43_uk wrote:
Hi I've copied the back up to a temp folder on my pc, but it wont let me copy the temp folder to the SD card.

I'll try backing up from the TT to the SD card direct and see what happens

Cheers for the help....if you can think of anything else let me know

Ta

Steve

Take a look at your new SD card, there will be a little plastic slider thingy on the side of it, this is the write protection tab. Try switching it over and see if that makes a difference.

Don't try copying TomTom, just find a random file on your PC first and try copying that to verify you can write to the card.
Stevie43_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RESULT !!!!

I backed up to a new file and added the maps - went through all the ttcode rigmarole and bingo - Ive managed to copy Benelux plus, France plus and Iberia plus to the existing map.

I would like to change Great Britain to Great Britain plus, but I'm chuffed with the result.....dont want to mess it up !!

Thanks all ....esp Mark

Steve
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie43_uk wrote:
I would like to change Great Britain to Great Britain plus,

Assuming that most of the time you are going to use it in Britain, I would recommend that you do not install the GB Plus map but stick with the French Plus map. You only need one of the European Plus maps, and as a Plus map contains more data it is a bit slower in use.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: