Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP REQUIRED! - How to pair a Tungsten T with a sealed GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP REQUIRED! - How to pair a Tungsten T with a sealed GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaz34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: HELP REQUIRED! - How to pair a Tungsten T with a sealed GPS Reply with quote

HEEEELLLLPPPP! Hi, I am complete newbie to both this forum site and the world of GPS. I have been using Palm PDA's for a number of years and currently have a Palm Tungsten T. I have just bought a 'blue translucent sealed bluetooth GPS receiver' from Ebay to use with my PDA but it has come with no instructions. There are no buttons or switches on the GPS receiver to assist in pairing same with the Tungsten and likewise the PDA's bluetooth is failing to find it. The unit comes with a dual charger lead to power both the GPS receiver and my Palm. When powering the GPS receiver it emits a small flashing green light but the Palm can still not find it. Does anyone have a similar item or can advise how I can go about using the thing. Your help would be appreciated. Confused Question
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to contact the ebay seller if they will help.
Gaz34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Been there done that.......... Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice but the seller was not much by way of help. He suggests that if I load on GPS software onto my Palm I can then choose the bluetooth GPS receiver. I have purchased Via Michelin and I am awaiting delivery. Can anyone advise if this information is correct and I will be able to use the GPS receiver ? Confused
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any other Bluetooth devices you can try pairing with the Palm or something else, eg. a laptop, you can try pairing the GPS receiver with?
Gaz34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Palm Tungsten T appears to pair with numerous other devices I have in the house but for some reason it does not recognise this GPS receiver......... I'm hoping that it will recognise the device once I have received and installed the software. If not I think I'm back to square one! Sad
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but you will need to set up the GPS using the BT software on the T & make it a trusted device as you mentioned trying to do earlier. I don't see why the software - Tom Tom, Via Michelin etc will help with the basic pairing with the two devices.

Can the GPS be run without being plugged in to any cables, or do you have to have it constantly wired to a charger all the time?
Gaz34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, you have explained everything that I thought should happen but unfortunately trying to explain this to the original seller would drive you to distraction. I am awaiting the delivery of Via Michelin and will install same before I then get back in touch with the seller to no doubt tell him it also didn't work. Unless we're both wrong.............. :D
Gaz34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing Mike........ The GPS came with a dual charging cable to charge both it and the Palm itself. On doing so there is a green flashing light when indoors and a constant green light if in the car at windscreen. As I said there is no on/off switch on the receiver and so I don't know what the receiver should do if on or off the charger. I was kind of hoping that someone reading this forum would have a similar unti and has been told or worked out how to use the damn thing ! Thanks again. Confused
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across a program on another forum - which mentioned a program called cruxview which was downloaded from www.GPSpassion.com - do a search on the download section. This appears to tell you what the receiver is doing, but again only if the T is receiving a signal. I have not used this program.
Gaz34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good & Bad News! I installed Via Michelin onto my Tungsten and it recognised the GPS receiver but only if connected by the leads supplied.... Maybe I've been conned and it isn't actually bluetooth ! Confused The only problem I now have is with the voice navigation on the software. Whilst being directed the voice becomes increasingly distorted until the Palm gives an error stating 'out of memory' and stops working. Sad
I find that the software will navigate no problem without crashing if the voice is off but I would really like to use this.
Can anyone advise if this is a common problem with perhaps a patch to sort same or is it unique to my Palm/Software........... I hope that someone can help with my new problem and would appreciate any advice to get me fully mobile. Smile
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that it is working, sort of. It does sound like it's a wired GPS.

Is the T supported by Via Michelin?
Gaz34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tungsten T is allegedly supported by Via Michelin and it has been suggested that I delete the files on my Palm and complete a fresh install to hopefully recify the voice navigation problem. I'll let you know how I get on. (Fingers crossed)
Gaz34
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed a fresh install of the Via Michelin software onto both my PC and my Palm. It appeared to work for a short time but eventually advised again that I was 'out of memory' and subsequently hung. I use 'Cleanup' to clear old files from my Palm's memory but this has to be completed manually. I am now frantically trying to find some program that will keep my memory clear automatically whilst I'm using same and hope this may recitfy my problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: