Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Maps! Reply with quote

The tomtom GO I bought secondhand already had a map loaded onto the SD card … so I never needed to do anything to it but switch it on.

I think I’m right in saying the SD card is 128mb …. And when I go onto the Version screen it displays ….

App 5.201 …. OS:908 ….. GPS v1.21 …… boot 2,18 ….
Map Great Britain v314

Basically what I was wondering is this …. If the SD is 128mb … why does it say I have free 6.1mb only

Also when I go to map on the tomtom it says it has got the Great Britain map only … with the unit came a CD and apparently on this CD is more maps … I think I’m right in saying it also has a map of Europe albeit not as detailed as the Great Britain map ( this I’m not 100% sure of ) on this CD …. Basically I’m confused as to why there is little left on the memory and would it be possible to download the European map on the tomtom whilst still keeping the Great Britain map and all its functions … I don’t want to change something that later I wish I hadn’t … these question might sound stupid, probably because they are, but its not something I use to. If its possible to have both on the tomtom at the same time I would download the map if its ok …. And doesn’t degrade the systems functions at present …. Any advise much appreciated … thanks in anticipation ….
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Britain map is already close to 100 MB. You need a much bigger storage card to hold other maps too.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
hoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I need a bigger SD card? .... can these SD card only be purchased through tomtom, in other words are they a genuine part or are there after market suppliers?
hoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After scanning around! ... would this be ok for the job? .... Viking 512MB Secure Digital Card

Only cost £18.79p .. 8O ... so suspect it might not be what I would need, sounds a bit cheap to me Rolling Eyes
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should be fine. give it a try.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Maps! Reply with quote

hoggy wrote:
Basically what I was wondering is this …. If the SD is 128mb … why does it say I have free 6.1mb only.

The 6.1 MB is the available Internal Memory.

From your description you have the original Classic, that came with a Map CD, including a copy of the Major Roads of Europe.

The program itself has been updated to V5.201, the latest, but the maps are the originals. Unfortunately the deadline for updating the Maps to V5 has passed, so if you want to do that you will have to pay at the full price.

If you only want the GB Map and the MRE the 512MB card will be ample. I don't know if TTGO has a problem with Viking cards.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Viking 512MB card and it works fine. It is actually a Toshiba card if you look under the Viking label Smile

F.
hoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you guys recommend regards to SD purchase .... I'd rather lay a bit more out if there is a highly recommend manufacturers card available for the tomtom which incidentally as you have rightly said is a Classic … if this one I’ve mentioned is ok then that honky dory … I’ll pick one up!

Quote:
Unfortunately the deadline for updating the Maps to V5 has passed

What does this mean? .... if you have the time please could you explain to me! .... is there no way around this time limit Rolling Eyes

Sorry for the dumb questions I've a habit of posting, but to be honest I've really started to get hooked on these tomtom sat/navs gizmo's and all that goes with them. It would appear to me people that understand them and can get the full benefits out of them enjoy their ownership of them all the more …. and that can’t be a bad thing :D
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps were updated in the Spring this year. TomTom offered the "new" updated maps to existing map owners at a reduced price for 6 months. The six months ran out on 31st October.

But, don't panic. Your maps are 99.9999% the same as the "updated " maps and you probably wouldn't notice the changes. I have an updated set and I have only found one difference. All the other errors are still there. Crying or Very sad
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: