Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 switches itself off
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 switches itself off
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: TTN5 switches itself off Reply with quote

I have installed TTN5.1 on my H550 IPAQ. All seems to work fine except from time to time it the TTN switches itself off. Sad

I read somewhere something about a problem with the poi.dat file that comes with TTN5 is suspect and if you replace it with the equivalent file from TTN3 or TTN4 this will solve the porblem. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Also occasionally when I switch TTN5.1 on it does not detect the maps. Pulling the SD out and reinserting it does the trick - might these be related. (The SD card is new 1GB 66x card from Ridata)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any other programs runnning in the background that may hog memory?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 40MB of memory allocated to running applications. On a couiple of occasions I have found Active Sync is till running or MSN Messenger is running (not sure why either were running Question ) but even then it never seems to drop below about 30MB.

Some times it switches TTN off within a few seconds of TTN being activated. Other times, it can have been running for many minutes maybe even an hour so befopre it decides to call it a day.

If I then restart it the TomTom hands appear to be one place further along the task bar area - not sure if that has any significance - but otherwise it usually starts up again OK.

PS I tried running with a poi.dat files from TTN3.7 and TTN4 and I still get the same problem so I guess that isnt the problem/solution.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you actually upgrade to version 5.100 ?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I bought the upgrade package from TomTom to get me from TTN3.7 to TTN5. Once I had installed this from the multi CD set I then down loaded the 5.1 upgrade from the TomTom site - do you think I need to start again ie deinstall TomTom and put 5.0 in fresh from the CDs and re-run the 5.1 patch from the TomTom site?
youngun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nontechmike wrote:
Some times it switches TTN off within a few seconds of TTN being activated. Other times, it can have been running for many minutes maybe even an hour so befopre it decides to call it a day.

If I then restart it the TomTom hands appear to be one place further along the task bar area - not sure if that has any significance - but otherwise it usually starts up again OK.

I have the same problems when I use TT5 on my Acer N35, generally it takes a few attempts to getting it running because most time it starts but shuts down straight away Sad

I have also noticed the TomTom Hands symbol move one place along. I have checked and made sure no other programs are running.

Does using an old TT POI file help??? The only problem being I don't have any
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using an older poi.dat didnt help me - I tried one from TTN3.7 and one from TTN4 but no real change.

I had modified my TTN5 by loading a different data.chk file to be used with the inbuilt poi warner so that I have more approperiate sounds. I have also loaded soem additional poi files and voice skins (for alternnative driving instructions) and some additional map colour schemes (from the TomTom site).

I wonder if any of these changes are contributing to the problem? I might try a remove and reloading of a clean TTN5 without any changes to see how it behaves.
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: ridata card problem? Reply with quote

I think I may have found the problem!
I have been using a new SD card since I upgraded to TTN5.1
I just tried using another card (which I have storred some other maps on) and it seems to work perfectly. So it looks like the card is the problem.

I just need to load the same map and all the extra poi files onto the new card to prove it.

The suspect card is 1GB PRO 66X from Ridata - has anyone out there had any experience of using this type of card??
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a bit more digging and my results todate are..

Both SD cards exhibit similar problems but with one, these occur on significantly more occasions. Whether I have upto another 35 extra POI files loaded or not has no effect. Similarly whether I am using version 5.000 or 5.100 software does not effect things. I have also tried older poi.dat files but again no effect.

The problem I see is that having done a fresh soft restart to my IPAQ, with no other programs running and with about 40MB of memory available, when I start TTN it runs for a few seconds and then closes down. If my Bluetooth is already switched on when I activate TTN, then it switches off as soon as trhe TTN screen comes on. If my Bluetooth is switched of when I activate TTN, then it last for about 5 seconds after the TTN screen first comes on - the point it closes down appears to coincide with when the Bluetooth is activated by TTN. When TTN does close down you get the sound that you would normally hear if you used IPAQ Wireless Icon under the Programs screen to close Bluetooth or WLAN (I have a an HP IPAQ 5550).

Once you have had the unwanted close down, almost every time, the second attempt to run TTN is successful (provided you dont do a soft reset) but the TTN hands in the toolbar are displaced one slot to the left.

As I said one card (Ridata 1GB PRO 66x - read time 10MB/s) does it 75% of the time whereas another card (Toshiba 512MB high speed - read time 10MB/s) does it about 10% of the time.

(Both cards suffer very occasional closedowns of TTN after it has been successfully running for some time but there is no obvious pattern to this)

Any ideas??
asyadiqin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5 on XDA IIs Reply with quote

I am having the same issues as well. TT5 closes midway through my trip and sometimes after I just started the program.

I don't think its the memory card as I did try on a 256MB and a 1GB SD card and happens on both. I even tried it on 2 other PDAs and still the problem occurs. Anyone have the same problem with the newer TT5.1?

From what I did, I eliminated the SD cards and the PDAs. Initially I suspected it was my BT GPS receiver, but can't test it as I don't have a extra GPS receiver to test it with.
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to TT support about the problem and they suggested a hard reset to the IPAQ. I was a bit sceptical but did the following:-

1. Created a new backup of my IPAQ (this in case)
2. Performed hard reset (with fingers crossed)
3. Performed restore from a previous backup I had when TTN3.7 was loaded ie before my TTN5 upgrade was applied (TT support said just reloading the new backup would have been fine but since I had the older backup I thought I would use it)
4. Resynchronised my IPAQ with my PC (to update contacts, calendar, etc)
5. Loaded TTN5 from CDs
6. Reformatted SD as FAT32
7. Loaded all maps onto newly reformatted SD card
8. Loaded Postcodes onto my IPAQ internal memory (I know it works if you load it onto SD card provided you create an empty folder called tomtom in the route director of the SD card but since TT support said load it into IPAQ memory I did).
6. Loaded TTN5.1 upgrade from TT site
7. Added back all my POI, Voice Commands, Colour schemes, etc.

...and me it all worked perfectly!! :D Both SD cards work fine and I haven't had a single event of unwanted switching off since following the above. By the way, the IPAQ now switches the Bluetooth on and off much quicker.

Not sure if it might be relavent to you but I tried loading CheckPOInt when I first loaded TTN5 as an alternatiev to the inbuilt POI warner. It caused TTN to freeze despite using the version that was apparently compatible with TTN5.1 so I removed it - I wonder if this left a problem behind that only a hard restart cleared out?? Confused

So give it a go and let me know how you get on.

PS My Traffic updates are still a bit eractic and the auto updating during the journey doesn't work very reliabily but that's another story...
asyadiqin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you load the postcode into the main memory? Do you need to create a folder?

Another thing is how do you format the SD card to FAT32 and what is the capacity of your SD Card?

I will try everything tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip.
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your IPAQ connected to your PC and ActiveSync connection made, when you insert the UK Map CD (CD #1) the installation program gives you the option to load either the map or the postcode. If you chose the postcode it will then ask where to put it - choose the IPAQ. It will create a folder called ZIP and put the postcode file in there for you. Just follow the instructions on the screen

My SD cards where 1GB and 0.5GB

Formating the SD card can be done several ways. My PC has a SD slot so I simply insert the card into the slot in my PC, using Windows Explorer you can view the properties of the SD card and have the option to format. If you chose fiormat there is a drop down menu of which type of format - chose FAT32.

Alternatively if you have a card reader you can follow a similar process. The other way is to use a digital camera that uses SD cards but it depends on the softwrae that comes with camera whether you can format or just delete all files. I am not aware of a way of doing a reformat in the IPAQ itself. That being said I think reformatting to FAT32 is just a precaution - you will probably be OK just making sure all files are removed first.

Good Luck.
asyadiqin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I did everything as you wrote, ie. hard reset, fresh installation, copy Postcode to main memory, etc... but I still do have the occasional case of TT5 closing the program midway through the journey.

I don't what else I can do to sort this out. I have even increase the program memory in case it was due to that, but still no go.

Anyone else had any other suggestions? FYI, I am using an XDA IIs, with the latest firmware upgrades released last month.
Jace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: tom tom 5 shuts down Reply with quote

tom tom 5 does shut down
normally when you get to the same locations

it does not seem to matter if you drive there
or view it on the map

example try and view

CR0 0 (Croydon) UK
Wickham Road
anywhere
if you get chance try and zoom in and out
before it shuts down

or
CR0 0 (Croydon) UK
Worcester Close
anywhere
then try and zoom in and out
mine then shuts its self down

im interested to know how may other peoples tt5
shuts down at the same location

if they do then it proves its a software error

in 1995 we were making our own gps tracking device
which suffered the same shut down problems at certain locations

Jacen

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: